PDA

View Full Version : Campy Record Ten Shifter Problem

Bob Loblaw
08-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Hi all,

After riding only Shimano for decades, few months ago, I got my hands on a bike equipped with Campy Record 10 Carbon shifters and rear D of indeterminate vintage. It worked fine at first, and then shifting problems developed after a few wet/gritty rides. It started hanging up between cogs, skipping under load, making noise. Mostly it happened during hard group rides and races. On solo rides it seemed to be mostly fine.

Over the past ten days or so, I have replaced the cables, replaced the chain, cleaned and lubed the rear D, added a few drops of light oil to the shifting mechanism to loosen up the grease. None of what I did fixed the problem, but it did make the situation clearer.

When I push the thumb lever, there are two distinct clicks for each shift. If I stop on the first click, the chain hangs up, skips, is noisy. If I push through to the second click, it is fine.

I guess my question is, does this sound normal? Or do I need to rebuild my shifters? I'm not afraid to take them apart and rebuild them, but I'd hate to do it and not fix anything. I'm a Shimano guy, this is new to me, so maybe I need to change my technique?

BL

jlwdm
08-30-2010, 11:26 AM
I will let the experts handle the solutions, but one click is one cog.

Jeff

AngryScientist
08-30-2010, 11:33 AM
hows the cassette look? its certainly possible that you have a worn cassette that is not playing nicely with the new chain. perhaps whoever sold/gave you the bike put on a new chain before the transfer.

agree that one click should be one cog.

other possible causes:

cable routing: take a look at the campy website, the cable should enter the rd as specified in the manual

cable housings should be cut cleanly and at 90 degree angles, anything other than this will cause some degree of misshifting

cable tension : i dont know your experience level, but if you dont have the tension just right it will cause issues that you;re describing.

good luck.

Ahneida Ride
08-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Sounds like a Cassette issue ..

I had similar issues when my cassette seen better days

Install a NEW chain if you install a new cassette.

Bob Loblaw
08-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the input.

I like to think I'm pretty handy with a wrench, and I'm pretty sure I did cut the cable housing cleanly. The cassette looks fine, but maybe it's not. I'll probably replace it this winter. And I wasn't aware that there was a particular way the RD cable needs to be routed. I'll look into that.

Cable tension might be the culprit, but I don't think so. I've set the stops like I always do twiddled with the barrel adjusters extensively and been unable to resolve the double click problem.

Could it be the freehub body? I removed, cleaned and lubed it and it seemed okay, though the bearing was a bit rough. There's no play in the cassette when it's on though.

hows the cassette look? its certainly possible that you have a worn cassette that is not playing nicely with the new chain. perhaps whoever sold/gave you the bike put on a new chain before the transfer.

agree that one click should be one cog.

other possible causes:

cable routing: take a look at the campy website, the cable should enter the rd as specified in the manual

cable housings should be cut cleanly and at 90 degree angles, anything other than this will cause some degree of misshifting

cable tension : i dont know your experience level, but if you dont have the tension just right it will cause issues that you;re describing.

good luck.

veloduffer
08-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Sounds like a cassette issue to me too. It could be the cassette is loose - try tightening the lockring (or making sure it is the proper lockring, Campy uses different ones between certain groups).

Ahneida Ride
08-30-2010, 12:53 PM
Yes .... check the lock-ring ..

I had that issue too !!!!!!

But NO issues with the Brifters themselves ...
always chain, cassette, or lock-ring

GuyGadois
08-30-2010, 01:41 PM
But, the OP said the shifter was making a double click. Could it need a rebuild? I don't remember a double clicking noise from the shifters as something normal.

Guy

(sorry, to those with Shimano, a rebuild is where you take the worn parts out of the shifter and replace them with a new guts making the shifters as good as new. No need to throw them away!) :)

Bob Loblaw
08-30-2010, 02:06 PM
Rebuilding is definitely a possibility. I want to rule out other possibilities before I start taking things apart at that level.

The cassette is lockring is snug and there's no play in the cassette. It came with the bike, and I can only assume it's the correct one.

BL

But, the OP said the shifter was making a double click. Could it need a rebuild? I don't remember a double clicking noise from the shifters as something normal.

Guy

(sorry, to those with Shimano, a rebuild is where you take the worn parts out of the shifter and replace them with a new guts making the shifters as good as new. No need to throw them away!) :)

GuyGadois
08-30-2010, 08:37 PM
did you figure it out yet?

Bob Loblaw
08-30-2010, 11:23 PM
Not yet. Test ride tomorrow. I've lubricated and adjusted everything from the rear wheel to the shifters. I'll report back afterwards.

BL

rockdude
08-31-2010, 06:48 AM
I am putting my money on cassette or maybe a bent link in the chain.

MarcusPless
08-31-2010, 07:42 AM
Not saying it's the cause of your woes... but making sure the rear derailleur cable is properly routed on/to the "fixing" clamp has solved a lot of Campy strangeness over the years. Might not seem like it would make a lot of difference but it does. And, as always, look for sticky buildup under the bottom bracket from various and sundry leaked/spilled sports drinks. My bottles are usually filled with water, but when they aren't, and shifting goes bad, I know where to look.

John M
08-31-2010, 09:54 AM
Why does everyone think it is the cassette?

The double click seems to indicate that the problem has to be in the shifter. There should be one click per shift.

Pete Serotta
08-31-2010, 10:02 AM
Hi all,

Over the past ten days or so, I have replaced the cables, replaced the chain, cleaned and lubed the rear D, added a few drops of light oil to the shifting mechanism to loosen up the grease. None of what I did fixed the problem, but it did make the situation clearer.

When I push the thumb lever, there are two distinct clicks for each shift. If I stop on the first click, the chain hangs up, skips, is noisy. If I push through to the second click, it is fine.

I guess my question is, does this sound normal? Or do I need to rebuild my shifters? I'm not afraid to take them apart and rebuild them, but I'd hate to do it and not fix anything. I'm a Shimano guy, this is new to me, so maybe I need to change my technique?

BL

AT THIS POINT IN MY VIEW IT COULD BE THE CASSETTE WORN (ESPECIALLY WITH A NEW CHAIN ON< THEY ARE NOT MATCHED WEAR WISE SO UNDER LOAD THIS IS NOT UNUSUAL to have noise and also some skip>

NOISE IS THE SAME INDICATOR of mis match ie new chain well worn casette

THE HANG WHEN CLICKING COULD BE WORN LEVER SPRING (or even maybe a cable sticking a little) Without seeing it - I am :confused: :confused:

LET FOLKS KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE AND THEY MIGHT HAVE A LOANER TO TRY AS TO CASSETTE. OR THEY CAN RECOMMEND A GOOD WRENCH TO LOOK AT IT<

PETE

FlashUNC
08-31-2010, 10:04 AM
I had a similar situation with my pre-QS 10-sped Cenatur Ergos, particularly higher-up on the cassette. It felt like a shift would get the chain about halfway where it needed to go, with horrible grinding and thrashing about, but that would go away after the second click, almost like I was trimming things up.

Turned out to be a combination of cable issues (cable had actually come out off the guides from under the BB, and decided to bump uglies with its FD cable brother) and derailleur adjustment.

I'd also echo what some other folks mentioned, in that the older cassette and newer chain may not be playing well together, though if the cassette doesn't have a ton of wear on it, I don't see that being a huge issue.

cmg
08-31-2010, 10:09 AM
don't be afraid of rebuilding the shifter. it's not that difficult plenty of how to videos on youtube.

Bob Loblaw
09-01-2010, 12:13 PM
I went through it stem to stern as I said and cleaned and lubed everything, made some slight adjustments to the cable routing (there was a kink in the housing coming out of the shifter that I was able to relax a bit). The only spot there's any significant drag in the cable is through that final loop of housing between the chainstay cable stop and the rear D. After staring at it and playing with it, I figure that length of housing probably needs to be half an inch longer.

Still, after two test rides, the symptoms are reduced and it shifts tolerably well. I do think the shifter is in need of a rebuild, however. Since it's so late in the season, I'll live with it for a few more months as it is and then do the rebuild over the winter.

I'm reasonable sure the cassette is fine. The lockring is snug and there's no play in the cogs at all. There's a bit of visible wear in the form of shiny spots on the teeth, but the teeth all seem to have the proper shape, and when everything is clean it runs whisper-quiet. Once it's securely in gear, there is no skipping no matter how much torque I apply. Still, since it's a variable, I'll replace that and the chain this off-season at the same time I do the shifters.

Thanks to everyone for your tips and advice!

BL

rockdude
09-01-2010, 12:58 PM
I just rebuild my shifter last week, $24 and a youtube video later I was good to go. FYI- My shifter got so bad, it had no clicks going up or down. In addition, a cassette can look great and still be wore out, their is no way to identify a bad cassette without replacing it. Good luck finding the problem.