PDA

View Full Version : Spoke tool question about Mavic wheel

toaster
08-30-2010, 08:22 AM
I have an older Mavic Cosmic tubular wheel and cannot find the original spoke tool for it. Anybody have an idea what to use?

staggerwing
08-30-2010, 08:39 AM
Don't have the tubulars, but my older (2000 vintage) Cosmic clinchers just have conventional nipples, and take a standard spoke wrench (Park Black, 3.2mm, if I remember correctly).

Spoke windup, rather obvious with the bladed spokes, caused some issues when I first tried truing them. A small chunk of delrin, with a thin saw kerf in one edge, made for a cheap spoke clamp.

dogdriver
08-30-2010, 08:52 AM
If you're talking about the torx-drive-looking proprietary thing that they use, I'd run to your LBS with a 6 pack of fine brew. I'll bet that they have an extra Mavic wrench in the tool chest...

I gave my last one away a couple months ago-- bummer.

toaster
08-30-2010, 09:04 AM
In order to reach spoke nut the tire needs to be off the rim and you must have the proper tool to reach spoke nut.

Question is: what is the size of the nut and what can be used if not a proprietary Mavic tool?

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough originallly.

08-30-2010, 10:35 AM
The best version of this tool is available from Jeremy and Sarah Parfitt at Alchemy in Santa Fe. Give them a call.

jparamax@yahoo.com
505-983-4241