PDA

View Full Version : Saddle advice

magoo
08-29-2010, 09:58 PM
After trying about a dozen different saddles, I've reached the conclusion that I need a Brooks

b1

b

OtayBW
08-30-2010, 02:05 AM
No you don't....

Really.

You don't.....I think.

sg8357
08-30-2010, 09:08 AM
Your friends will laugh, you'll be slower on the hills. :)

Wait for the special Swiss Brooks, they'll take even longer to break in.

Ralph
08-30-2010, 09:17 AM
I didn't like them 40 years ago, don't like them now. But they do have a "cult" like following, and work for some folks. So it won't hurt to try one out.

Charles M
08-30-2010, 09:19 AM
I LOVE BROOKS SADDLES.

But I cant ride any of em... And I dont know any people first hand that stayed with the models they've tried (This is one of those wierd cases where old school mirrors Carbon, because I dont know anyone first hand that's kept an all carbon, unpadded superlight saddle either)

Asses are like fingerprints though. Try one and see if you're able.

OtayBW
08-30-2010, 02:54 PM
No you don't....

Really.

You don't.....I think.
I should explain. I bought a Brooks B-17 Sprinter over a year ago. This is a limited - now discontinued - model that is the narrowest model they made. It was the only Brooks that I was ever able to break in. Fit me perfectly, was very comfortable, and looked really great - but it also weighed ~454g. I have since found one other saddles that is the best fit and most comfy saddle I ever rode - bar none.

Plenty of good saddles out there that aren't a ball and chain....

Quoting oneself. That's a bad sign..... :crap:

malcolm
08-30-2010, 03:22 PM
I use a B-17 on several bikes. I've never had a B-17 that I had to break in, they are all comfy right out of the box. The nose on a B-17 needs a little upward tilt, I raise it a little at a time until I stop sliding forward or until there is too much pressure on the taint. Most comfortable long distance saddle I've ever used. I've heard that if you have lots of drop, saddle to bar, they won't work well, but most of my rides are in the 3-6 cm range and brooks' work just fine. I use other saddles particulatly on more modern looking bikes, but over 60-80miles and I would use a brooks if I had the choice.

Ahneida Ride
08-30-2010, 05:09 PM
My B17 Ti broke in real fast ....

I ride in cotton shorts, this saddle is sooooo comfortable.

I guess it broke so fast, cause I am such a big a**.

oldpotatoe
08-31-2010, 07:59 AM
I didn't like them 40 years ago, don't like them now. But they do have a "cult" like following, and work for some folks. So it won't hurt to try one out.

Tried them 3 times, Swallow, Swift, B-17..tried and tried, think they look really cool, but could not do it. Very easy to sell tho.

Ken Robb
08-31-2010, 10:39 AM
I love my B-17 (plural) and Pro which is slightly narrower. As posted above the angle (nose up for me) is critical and I was amazed at how big a difference in comfort a very small change in angle makes.

I too ride comfortably in boxers and hiking shorts and the sadles need no breaking in for me. I think it's like buying shoes. If you get the right model and size they should be comfy right out the box. If your shoes and saddles need breaking in you ought to try something else.