PDA

View Full Version : Why I am pissed about the forum this monring..

bkboom123
08-29-2010, 08:10 AM
I have been interacting on this forum for a couple of years now and I wanted to say something, I friggin' love this thing. I got started with the forum through my dad, tkbike, and he loves this friggin' thing too. Whenever he is thinking about selling something, I often do the leg work because my schedule is less demanding, so its easier for me to do the running. And this pisses us both off....

I view the forum as a place where I interact with "friends", and therefore cut deals with all my friends when I am selling parts, and 95% of the time sell stuff for less then my asking price when people ask me to do so.....Purely because I love cycling and want others to have the same great experience here that I have had so far. If I was concerned about making more money on these parts I would just do the ebay thing. On that note:

I sold a frameset quite a few months back that my dad bought used from a forum member (for an amazing price), so we in turn sold it for even less. Pair this with a $400 fork (bought brand new at a great price with only a few hundred miles on it at the time of sale) and we are selling one hell of a bike for a total final price $465 +shipping....

Now the complete bike is back on the forum, months later with "older model" used parts for just under $2000 more then what I sold the bike for. I am effing pissed! I feel betrayed, annoyed, etc....

Should I be? Anyone else have this happen? I believe in biking karma and this, to me at least, is not good biking karma.....

Jeff N.
08-29-2010, 08:16 AM
Kinda dumb for them to put it back up for sale HERE, that's for certain. :no: Jeff N.

indyrider
08-29-2010, 08:25 AM
STRONG feelings I must say...I feel ya

thegunner
08-29-2010, 08:36 AM
feel free to name the member... i was under the impression that flipping things was frowned on here to begin with.

edit: wow i'm dense. :D ^^completely missed that

SEABREEZE
08-29-2010, 08:37 AM
Dont let one bad apple ruin who you or your Dad are.

I am sure the many others are apprecitive of your generous deals.

In turn, they will think on the same terms.

Just think of the good vicious cycle you guys have started.

Matt-H
08-29-2010, 08:37 AM

rugbysecondrow
08-29-2010, 08:41 AM
I have no connection to this sale, but I have dealt with the seller in question. I sold him a frame a couple years ago and a few months later he decided he no longer wanted it and he sold it back to me for what he paid for it. He even added decals to it so he took a small loss on it. Not sure if that has bearing on this situation, just my experience.

wc1934
08-29-2010, 08:42 AM
I too enjoy this forum and most, if not all my interactions have been excellent - to keep this wonderful atmosphere I suggest we call out those whom we believe have not acted in good faith - they can then of course rebut the accusations and the rest of us can develop our own opinions as to future interactions - just my 2 cents

gemship
08-29-2010, 08:44 AM
I understand why your pissed but I still don't feel like I know too much as far as details given, not sure what else to say except. I think it makes a lot of folks feel better about taking a loss on selling bike stuff here or anywhere with reasoning like, I do it to share the love for cycling rather than just admitting that bikes especially good quality bike stuff is a luxury with a huge depreciative value. I mean you may do a little better with Ebay auctions, parting out but still people just won't pay retail for used stuff.

Kirk007
08-29-2010, 08:51 AM
Feel good about your actions; that's all you can control. Unless you know what's going on with the seller, it is perhaps unfair to assume that he's just flipping product for a profit. For instance, maybe he/she really need the money - these are tough times. You did a good thing; feel good about it and let go.

Liberace
08-29-2010, 08:54 AM
It's not as bad as you think.

Take into consideration all the factors that few buyers consider:

The time building it up. 2-3 hours of a person's time or he/she may have paid a shop $150
breaking it down & boxing it $50-75
paypal fees $60-80
shipping $60-120

Listing a high price nowadays in the classifieds, doesn't mean that's what you're looking to clear. I'd say for that bike, knowing the sale history, $2000 to $2250 shipped is a fair price. The wheels alone are $650.

By the way, I had listed a wheelset for $350shipped that I bought here for $200. It may have looked bad, but after including a new set of tires and a set of Dura Ace skewers, I would have just broke even. So who knows what he put into the build?

Sean

Lifelover
08-29-2010, 09:18 AM
I have been interacting on this forum for a couple of years now and I wanted to say something, I friggin' love this thing. I got started with the forum through my dad, tkbike, and he loves this friggin' thing too. Whenever he is thinking about selling something, I often do the leg work because my schedule is less demanding, so its easier for me to do the running. And this pisses us both off....

I view the forum as a place where I interact with "friends", and therefore cut deals with all my friends when I am selling parts, and 95% of the time sell stuff for less then my asking price when people ask me to do so.....Purely because I love cycling and want others to have the same great experience here that I have had so far. If I was concerned about making more money on these parts I would just do the ebay thing. On that note:

I sold a frameset quite a few months back that my dad bought used from a forum member (for an amazing price), so we in turn sold it for even less. Pair this with a $400 fork (bought brand new at a great price with only a few hundred miles on it at the time of sale) and we are selling one hell of a bike for a total final price $465 +shipping....

Now the complete bike is back on the forum, months later with "older model" used parts for just under $2000 more then what I sold the bike for. I am effing pissed! I feel betrayed, annoyed, etc....

Should I be? Anyone else have this happen? I believe in biking karma and this, to me at least, is not good biking karma.....

Get over it. It is the internet and we are not all friends in the true sense. With only a few exceptions, we don't even use our real names.

Did you and this "friend" have an agreement before the sale? Had you ever even spoken to him before?

There are quite a few people who are active on this forum, are incredible cycling fanatics, and use "flipping" as a way to support their cycling hobby. I have knowingly purchased from them and don't really care if they are making a profit. As long as I'm paying a price that I feel is fair to me.

This is still the safest place to buy and sell bike stuff. It's presumptuous to assume all sales are solely for personal use and the price will be lowered with each flip.

bobswire
08-29-2010, 09:23 AM
That sucks,no excuse. You have every right to be upset.
If I buy an item here that I got a deal on and later I decide to sell it I give members here first chance at it at what I got it for or close to it unless I've invested time and money into it.
I purchased a vintage Colorado here late last year as a frame set ($250) then built it up, new head set/ shimano 105 5600 shifters and derailleurs plus decent set of mavic pro/ultegra wheelset which I in turn sold to another forum member for $550 shipped.
I lost money on that deal and could have made more on eBay but what happens on Serotta forum stays on Serotta forum it is only right and fair.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=74361
If it doesn't sell here then I'll take it elsewhere and try to make a buck.
Kind of an unwritten policy I thought.

Pete Serotta
08-29-2010, 09:31 AM
feel free to name the member... i was under the impression that flipping things was frowned on here to begin with.

edit: wow i'm dense. :D ^^completely missed that

Yes "flipping" is human nature but not nice on the forum..... :crap:

Lifelover
08-29-2010, 09:33 AM
Kind of an unwritten policy I thought.

The Serotta forum has 16,580 members. At any given time maybe a few hundred are active "posters" (not lurkers) within the General Discussion section.

Once you leave the General Discussion section and enter classifieds, there are several hundred more people active. Don't assume the overlap of the 2 sections is complete.

If the OP's issue is with a "Friend" that regularly post in the GD section. He should be taking up the issue with him in private first. Like you expect to do with real friends.

If this friend is not a GD regular, than why expect him to know the secret hand shake?

gemship
08-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Yes "flipping" is human nature but not nice on the forum..... :crap:

is it still considered flipping when you sell the frame set built up as a complete bike? Am I missing something here because that is how I read the OP.

brians647
08-29-2010, 09:41 AM
If it doesn't sell here then I'll take it elsewhere and try to make a buck. Kind of an unwritten policy I thought.

Correct. Doesn't need to be a policy; Karma + common sense = fair play.

Dave
08-29-2010, 09:43 AM
I don't care what happens to the bikes or parts that I sell. I just sold my two LOOK 585 bikes with Record 11 for bargain prices on Craig's list. I didn't want to mess with shipping them, but some guy from out of state bought both, then had a friend pick them up from me and ship them. I could care less if he immediately sells one or both and makes a profit. I just wanted a quick sale with no haggling.

Pete Serotta
08-29-2010, 09:46 AM
IN my limited view it is just a way that some folks are able to make money.

That is inherently not bad but it is considered rude on the forum BUT the easiest way to keep it at a minimum is to identify the flipper and the item and then not buy from them on the forum. (or even sell to them)

that is the way I run my dealing but it really is a personal matter between buyer and seller.
:crap: :confused:

pete

bobswire
08-29-2010, 10:08 AM
The Serotta forum has 16,580 members. At any given time maybe a few hundred are active "posters" (not lurkers) within the General Discussion section.

Once you leave the General Discussion section and enter classifieds, there are several hundred more people active. Don't assume the overlap of the 2 sections is complete.

If the OP's issue is with a "Friend" that regularly post in the GD section. He should be taking up the issue with him in private first. Like you expect to do with real friends.

If this friend is not a GD regular, than why expect him to know the secret hand shake?

I think of this forum as a community not as a CraigsList. As such we have a responsibility to the community to keeping it a welcome and honest environment of trust and shared interests. Otherwise it becomes just another CL,IMO.

djg21
08-29-2010, 10:59 AM

You shouldn't lose sleep over it. The frameset ceased being yours when you sold it, and you do not have any say as to what is done with it, whether it is sold, or if so, for how much.

If you sold the bike at a price that would allow someone to "flip" if for a profit, it would seem that your sales price was not high enough in the first place.

While this forum has a lot of members who see it as a community, and many items on the classifieds are priced in a way that takes this into account, the classifieds are not a charity. I'd suggest you chaulk this one up as a lesson learned. Next time, rethink your pricing and selling strategies. Maybe avoid the forum altogether and use Ebay instead.

bkboom123
08-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Yeah maybe next time I will just auction it off on ebay and try and turn a thousand dollar profit if I can.

Stupid me for trying to give another forum member a stellar deal on a frame that I also received a stellar deal on from a forum member.....was just trying trying to keep it "in the fam" if you know what I mean. :crap:

pbjbike
08-29-2010, 11:15 AM
Looks like $1k in parts + $600 for the wheels + $500 (incl. shipping), for the frame. After haggling, it looks like the seller will break even, or get maybe 100 extra for the day or two he spent getting the parts together and building it up...

AFS
08-29-2010, 11:32 AM
You shouldn't lose sleep over it. The frameset ceased being yours when you sold it, and you do not have any say as to what is done with it, whether it is sold, or if so, for how much.

If you sold the bike at a price that would allow someone to "flip" if for a profit, it would seem that your sales price was not high enough in the first place.

While this forum has a lot of members who see it as a community, and many items on the classifieds are priced in a way that takes this into account, the classifieds are not a charity. I'd suggest you chaulk this one up as a lesson learned. Next time, rethink your pricing and selling strategies. Maybe avoid the forum altogether and use Ebay instead.

I'm the member who sold the frame to bkboom123's father. They offered the frame at the same price I sold it, classy. I have no problems with the price I sold the frame for originally, but it's just not proper to buy something here and then try to flip it here a few month's later.

djg21
08-29-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm the member who sold the frame to bkboom123's father. They offered the frame at the same price I sold it, classy. I have no problems with the price I sold the frame for originally, but it's just not proper to buy something here and then try to flip it here a few month's later.

I don't disagree that it may be slimy, if that is what you mean by "not proper." But nothing is going to get accomplished by complaining about it. The frame/bike is worth what the market will bear. If the new seller is able to get the higher price, I feel bad for the orginal poster that he did not sell for that price.

BumbleBeeDave
08-29-2010, 11:39 AM
. . . the impression of the forum classifieds as a community of friends is an erroneous one, IMHO. That's not to say it's the Wild West, but just because it's a cycling forum doesn't mean you shouldn't practice the same rules of common sense personal security that you would in real life. I do not by any means live in a crime-ridden or unsafe neighborhood, but I still lock my doors when I leave the house. It's just common sense.

eBay has elaborate rules on feedback and payments and accountability for a reason. We have what rules we can to keep people on the up-and-up, but I don't think there's every been any inference made that you don't have to practice common sense rules of self-interest.

As for this item, you sold it. It's not yours any more. The new owner is free to do whatever he wants to with the parts. Re-sell them, build them into a bike and sell that, or melt it all down into a big paperweight. That's life.

BBD

akelman
08-29-2010, 11:55 AM
I sell things cheap here and don't ever bother putting things up on eBay. I do that because I want to avoid hassles and because people here have been very decent to me through the years: offering me great deals, sending me things for free, and, most important of all, providing me with great advice. I've seen a few things I've sold here re-sell pretty quickly at a profit. But I figure, that's life in the slow lane. Some people just view this place differently than I do. Which is to say, this is a community -- not a utopia (or at least not a utopia of my design). And just like the brick-and-mortar community in which I live, there are some awesome folks and some not-so-awesome folks. I mean, I wish the guy up the block would pick up after his Mastiff when that beast craps on my lawn. But he doesn't. Still, most people in my neighborhood do pick up after their (smaller) dogs, so things are okay for the most part.

As for this case, I'm not sure I see the problem. It really does seem like the frame + added parts + wrench time = approximately the current asking price. That's not to say you can't feel aggrieved, bkboom123, but I'm not sure anyone's dog has crapped on your lawn.

bkboom123
08-29-2010, 12:00 PM
I just jumped to conclusions because I personally dont think a $450 frame and $500 wheels added with pre-2010 force and rival add up to $2500.....
I am moving on, my bad....

sjbraun
08-29-2010, 12:01 PM
So you perceived yourself as being a good guy for selling the frame for a bargain price. You can't really expect anyone else to live by the code you imposed on yourself. Sure, be disappointed, but pissed? I don't think so. It stopped being your bike when you cashed the new owner's check.

Steve-you can only control what you can control

akelman
08-29-2010, 12:08 PM
I just jumped to conclusions because I personally dont think a $450 frame and $500 wheels added with pre-2010 force and rival add up to $2500.....

I'm not saying he's offering as good a deal as you did. And certainly I prefer to offer deals like you offered (and I hope will still offer). But I don't think it's a clear-cut case of someone profiteering. That said, I think you should feel how you feel -- so long as you remember that there are a lot of other people around this place who live by the same code you do.

JeffS
08-29-2010, 12:12 PM

They don't. The asking price is too high from what I've seen. I'm sure everyone realizes that.

I've got mixed feelings. I bought a used bike recently, either here or across the hall. I sold the wheelset immediately and after two rides decided that the frame wasn't for me and sold it to a forum member (who has since sold it again).

If I took the money from selling the wheels and the frame, and added it to the Red group and other parts that I still have, I am sure I made money. That was never my goal though. I purchased something for asking price and sold at what I (and apparently the buyers) considered fair value. Maybe the original seller noticed this and suspected me of buying his bike to part it out. It really hadn't crossed my mind until I was typing this. I'm not losing any sleep though.

I don't have a problem with the people who use the site strictly for the classifieds, and I'm one to an extent. Traffic is good for the health of the site, and unless these "outsiders" are causing problems I think it's good for everyone. Now, the ones who are stocking their ebay stores with forum purchases... they piss me off.

bkboom123
08-29-2010, 12:15 PM
I completely agree.....on that note, I am moved on.

Its sunny and 90 degrees in Saratoga, this doesnt happen much....

Time to ride :beer:

Lifelover
08-29-2010, 12:53 PM

Rest easy. Based on current trends, he won't get anywhere near $2000 for that bike.

soulspinner
08-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Feel good about your actions; that's all you can control. Unless you know what's going on with the seller, it is perhaps unfair to assume that he's just flipping product for a profit. For instance, maybe he/she really need the money - these are tough times. You did a good thing; feel good about it and let go.

Well said and in a non offensive way to either party. I once had someone turn something I sold immediately to make something like 15 bucks. I guessed I sold it too cheaply.

130R
08-29-2010, 01:51 PM
i try to keep a mental note of who i have dealt with in the past. if they gave me a good deal, the favor gets returned. i too love cycling and would like for certain "rare" things to stay in the community.

i'd also like to add that as the forum gains more and more popularity, more people out there are going to try to take advantage of the great deals we give each other. it has ruined other forums from my other interests in the past and i would hate to see it happen here. hopefully we can protect this place from that same fate.

rice rocket
08-29-2010, 02:03 PM
i'd also like to add that as the forum gains more and more popularity, more people out there are going to try to take advantage of the great deals we give each other. it has ruined other forums from my other interests in the past and i would hate to see it happen here. hopefully we can protect this place from that same fate.
The simple solution is to disallow access to classifieds until 100+ posts or so, as is common on many forums, bike related and others. It does however stunt the growth of the forum, for better or worse (I'm pretty sure these forums don't exist to be a parts swapping site though).

I won't lie, I joined here because I wanted something listed in the classifieds that have come up on Google, but I've returned the favor to others.

thegunner
08-29-2010, 02:09 PM
The simple solution is to disallow access to classifieds until 100+ posts or so, as is common on many forums, bike related and others. It does however stunt the growth of the forum, for better or worse (I'm pretty sure these forums don't exist to be a parts swapping site though).

I won't lie, I joined here because I wanted something listed in the classifieds that have come up on Google, but I've returned the favor to others.

:p an admirable suggestion since you have <100 posts yourself haha

rice rocket
08-29-2010, 02:22 PM
I wouldn't mind; the value of the forum exists in its people, not in its classifieds. Of course, sellers may have tougher times finding buyers, but there are other outlets to list your items.

Plus, I'm < 10 posts away. :p

dave thompson
08-29-2010, 02:25 PM
My way of dealing with this.....if I list an item in the classifieds for a price that's under market, or free, I'll choose who I sell/give it to, not the first response. If it's a name I recognize, likely, if it's a name that I've had good encounters with (e-mails, PMs, advice given to me. etc.,) more than likely. If it's someone that I've done 'business' with, it's a deal! If I don't recognize the name or he/she's a newbie, they occupy a lower priority than do others. Not fair? Yes. Make me feel good and part of the 'family'? Absolutely.

Louis
08-29-2010, 02:35 PM
The simple solution is to disallow access to classifieds until 100+ posts or so, as is common on many forums, bike related and others.

One issue with this approach is that you end up with a bunch of fluff posts from newbies trying to get their post count up. (As opposed to fluff posts from folks who've been around forever ;) )

rice rocket
08-29-2010, 02:43 PM
One issue with this approach is that you end up with a bunch of fluff posts from newbies trying to get their post count up. (As opposed to fluff posts from folks who've been around forever ;) )

Classifieds don't need to be an advertised feature of the forum; it'll just be a bonus that will appear when you hit the specified post count. :)

(5 more posts!!!) :D

Pete Serotta
08-29-2010, 02:52 PM
My way of dealing with this.....if I list an item in the classifieds for a price that's under market, or free, I'll choose who I sell/give it to, not the first response. If it's a name I recognize, likely, if it's a name that I've had good encounters with (e-mails, PMs, advice given to me. etc.,) more than likely. If it's someone that I've done 'business' with, it's a deal! If I don't recognize the name or he/she's a newbie, they occupy a lower priority than do others. Not fair? Yes. Make me feel good and part of the 'family'? Absolutely.

Thanks DAVE, I wish I could have expressed it this well. Pete

Louis
08-29-2010, 02:56 PM

Don't tell anyone else, but when you get to 1000 there will be a knock on the door, a huge cake will be wheeled in, and dancing girls will burst out of it. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Pete Serotta
08-29-2010, 02:58 PM
Don't tell anyone else, but when you get to 1000 there will be a knock on the door, a huge cake will be wheeled in, and dancing girls will burst out of it. :banana: :banana: :banana:

and if you are not so lucky it is me or Aneida Ride in the cake :) :)

rugbysecondrow
08-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Classifieds don't need to be an advertised feature of the forum; it'll just be a bonus that will appear when you hit the specified post count. :)

I list items to sell, I don't want the classifieds to be secret... That would seem to defeat the purpose.

thegunner
08-29-2010, 03:32 PM
I list items to sell, I don't want the classifieds to be secret... That would seem to defeat the purpose.

slowtwitch does something to this effect... a certain post requirement over a length of time. this would prevent to some degree those who come here and make first post listings (which i'll be honest has gotten kind of bothersome particularly as of late), whilst maintaining that those who decide to post are committed to being contributing posters in the other forums. could serotta do something like this?

it wouldn't stop people from buying and flipping, which is the main issue presented here, but it does fix another problem raised in this thread.

Nil Else
08-29-2010, 03:40 PM

And for over 10,000,000?

a certain post requirement over a length of time

I feel so inadequate when I see 10 times more posts in less than 1/10 of time... ;)

SoCalSteve
08-29-2010, 06:25 PM
slowtwitch does something to this effect... a certain post requirement over a length of time. this would prevent to some degree those who come here and make first post listings (which i'll be honest has gotten kind of bothersome particularly as of late), whilst maintaining that those who decide to post are committed to being contributing posters in the other forums. could serotta do something like this?

it wouldn't stop people from buying and flipping, which is the main issue presented here, but it does fix another problem raised in this thread.

I try to gently ask people who have very low post count not to sell in the classifieds until they have participated in some of the other sections for awhile. Has nothing to do with flipping, just trying to make our community stronger and not just a venue for people selling bike related items...

I have gotten very positive feedback from the people I have contacted.

thegunner
08-29-2010, 06:35 PM
I try to gently ask people who have very low post count not to sell in the classifieds until they have participated in some of the other sections for awhile. Has nothing to do with flipping, just trying to make our community stronger and not just a venue for people selling bike related items...

I have gotten very positive feedback from the people I have contacted.

but it's obviously impossible to police every case of this, and there have been a lot of 1 post members selling big ticket items like full bikes. i agree though, the reason why i like serotta's forum more than that of other sites is because it feels more tight knit. there's just generally less disrespect and negativity being thrown around thoughtlessly.

I feel so inadequate when I see 10 times more posts in less than 1/10 of time... ;)

or 2x the posts in 1/2 the time *whistles* guilty as charged.

Charles M
08-29-2010, 06:43 PM

You're not pissed about the forum... You're pissed about a person.

I've helped out a lot of people... Most really appreciate it, some don't.

But I wont stop being nice to people and I don't dwell for a split second when someone takes advantage.

Assholes have no hold on my attention at all.

SoCalSteve
08-29-2010, 08:36 PM
but it's obviously impossible to police every case of this, and there have been a lot of 1 post members selling big ticket items like full bikes. i agree though, the reason why i like serotta's forum more than that of other sites is because it feels more tight knit. there's just generally less disrespect and negativity being thrown around thoughtlessly.

or 2x the posts in 1/2 the time *whistles* guilty as charged.

We do the best we can...sometimes stuff falls between the cracks.

texbike
08-29-2010, 08:43 PM
Does it really matter? Especially if more than half your posts are for selling stuff in the classified section anyway?

If you do enough business there, the chances are that you're going to run into a transaction now and then that isn't going to make you happy...

Texbike

rugbysecondrow
08-29-2010, 08:53 PM
I hate that this is four pages thick as it seems to be much ado about nothing. Like I said, I have dealt with the current seller before and he was incredibly honest and I think this "smoke em out" mentality is unhealthy.

Sorry Ya'll, this could have and should have been handled better.

oliver1850
08-29-2010, 09:23 PM

Dekonick
08-29-2010, 09:41 PM
In general, I think most folks (regulars) sell and buy items in a neighborly way. I can see why it bothers you to see a deal you gave someone get flipped - I have done it myself (unintentionally) just by not remembering what I paid and offering it up for what I thought was a good deal. I don't know about you, but I am always 'cycling' gear in and out. It is possible this was never intended as you perceive it.

As for Dave Thompson - my butt is thankful for your customer loyalty! I think I have at least 3 B-17's that I ride to this day that came from your stable...

William
08-30-2010, 04:04 AM
Well, I feel that a person shoul....wha....ewww, there's lint in my belly button.

William

PS: What Pez said. :)

buck-50
08-30-2010, 01:02 PM
I just don't know about all this.

I've sold stuff on the forum and bought stuff on the forum.

What I sold, I sold for good prices. I priced it at a point that I knew would sell, and was as about little as I was willing to part with it for.

But once I sell it, it ain't mine anymore. I sold it here because craigslist is a nightmare and Ebay is too expensive. I took an extreme hit for convenience- it's easy to sell stuff to like minded folks, and If I'm done with it, anything I get out of it is just icing on the cake. Easy cash/clean out the parts bin/help a fellow cyclist out, it's all a win for me. No one is forcing me to sell anything.

If someone turns around and goes through all the hassle of cleaning it up and selling it for more, well, that's their deal. It isn't mine anymore. I can get pissed at myself for not charging more in the first place...

For example, if the guy who bought my Phil Wood CHP pedals turns around and finds some sucker willing to pay $700 for them, more power to him. What I got was fair for me.

Onno
08-30-2010, 01:11 PM
I just don't know about all this.

I've sold stuff on the forum and bought stuff on the forum.

What I sold, I sold for good prices. I priced it at a point that I knew would sell, and was as about little as I was willing to part with it for.

But once I sell it, it ain't mine anymore. I sold it here because craigslist is a nightmare and Ebay is too expensive. I took an extreme hit for convenience- it's easy to sell stuff to like minded folks, and If I'm done with it, anything I get out of it is just icing on the cake. Easy cash/clean out the parts bin/help a fellow cyclist out, it's all a win for me. No one is forcing me to sell anything.

If someone turns around and goes through all the hassle of cleaning it up and selling it for more, well, that's their deal. It isn't mine anymore. I can get pissed at myself for not charging more in the first place...

For example, if the guy who bought my Phil Wood CHP pedals turns around and finds some sucker willing to pay $700 for them, more power to him. What I got was fair for me.

What he said. Methinks the OP needs more coffee in the morning.

oldguy00
08-30-2010, 01:15 PM
What he said. Methinks the OP needs more coffee in the morning.

+324352.69

AndrewS
08-31-2010, 12:35 AM
If you sell stuff here cheaply for good karma, then that is your reward.

If someone else flips your former stuff for profit, they'll receive a different kind of karma.

It seems to me that there is already a system in place.

SamIAm
08-31-2010, 06:37 AM

Yes, I believe this is the way to do it and will be the way I operate going forward.

John M
08-31-2010, 12:47 PM
Maybe this is way to resolve conflicts in the classifieds.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWTNBRs7Ccs