PDA

View Full Version : seatpost rant!

CNote
04-14-2005, 05:19 PM
Why am I having such a hard time finding a decent seatpost? Now, I know there are seatposts out there which are well-designed and that achieve a certain aesthetic, but I can't find a decent one that meets these basic criteria (in no particular order):

1. Polished SILVER aluminum: Thomson's looks nice and is perfectly designed, but I need setback and the aesthetic of that bent post just doesn't cut it. :crap:

2. One-piece design: I want a post that will last and won't come unbonded at some point. Again, Thomson shines here, but, like I said before. :crap:

3. Setback: I don't need a lot; 20 mm would do. A lot of posts meet this criteria but lack in the others. :crap:

4. Length: I need at least 230 mm of post. Nitto (through Rivendell) has a great post that meets all other criteria, but it's ONLY 210 MM LONG!!!!!!!! Now that's great for the French Fit people, but not this bike. Why couldn't they make it just a couple cms longer???!!!! :crap: :crap:

The final candidates I've narrowed it down to are the Salsa Shaft and the Oval Concepts R700. This is completely superficial, but I don't want the Salsa name on this particular bike. :crap: :crap: Same goes for Oval Concepts :crap: , but less so...I don't know why, but the name is just so silly. Out of the two, I am leaning towards the Oval Concepts but I've never seen the silver one, and I can't tell what the finish is like. Any comments? :confused:

Please talk me into or out of one or the other, or suggest something I haven't considered. :cool:

musgravecycles
04-14-2005, 05:23 PM
What's wrong with the Centar alloy post, or the ShimaNo's?? Both of those 'll last f-o-r-e-v-e-r.

CNote
04-14-2005, 05:30 PM
I have considered Centaur, but I initially ruled it out because it doesn't meet the one-piece-design criterion. I'm willing to toss it into the paltry group of final candidates though. The other two need all the company they can get.

bcm119
04-14-2005, 05:37 PM
I have a silver Salsa Shaft. I agree with you about the letters- a bit silly, but in silver they are pretty subtle. The adjustment mechanism on the Shaft is brilliant; however it makes it a little heavier than average (doesn't bother me) and the aesthetic is slightly compromised by that forward bolt for the tilt system (bothers me a little). If you fiddle alot with your setback and tilt, the Shaft is ideal. If you set it once and forget about it, the Shaft has more bits than necessary. If you'd like a pic of it mounted on a Serotta, let me know.

Edited to add: I think the Shaft has 25mm of setback.

musgravecycles
04-14-2005, 05:43 PM
Ya could spend for a Bold Precision Ti...

IMO the Shaft is pretty unsightly for a road bike...

or like the all knowing professor says below, Nitto...

dbrk
04-14-2005, 05:43 PM
Has anyone ever made a better seatpost than Nitto? The one-bolt works perfectly; the two-bolt Jaguar (what Riv calls the Frog) is more perfect. I personally dislike shaft posts because I can't see the point of not having more setback. (Most modern bikes have the saddle shoved all the way back; most traditional bikes have angles not shallow enough for a Brooks and hence also shove the saddle back.) The DA is beautiful too but it went up 30% in cost last year but somehow didn't get 30% better, imo. Nitto, Nitto, Nitto. Unless you need black, these are the ticket.

say neat-o,

dbrk

dave thompson
04-14-2005, 05:50 PM
CNote: I'll kindly suggest you drop your #2 criteria, one-piece design. Well designed, well built two-piece posts simply don't come apart. The deletion of that one option will open up a much larger world for you.

Kevin
04-14-2005, 06:09 PM
Bold Precision.

Kevin

Ahneida Ride
04-14-2005, 06:25 PM
Bold Precision (http://www.boldprecision.com/bicycle.htm#seatpost)

CNote
04-14-2005, 06:30 PM
Has anyone ever made a better seatpost than Nitto?

I agree. Alas, as I mentioned before, the 210 is too short. I would buy the 300 and cut it down to a reasonable length, but they're out of stock. :crap:

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

eddief
04-14-2005, 06:49 PM
Not sure my photography does it justice, but quite a nice finish. Where the DA is a beautiful polished finish, the OC is a fine satin. Have been reasonable as all get out from aebike.

jeffhall
04-14-2005, 06:53 PM
I have a couple of Campy Chorus Ti posts, all brand new and I understand you can shine them up nicely. Want to buy one of these?

eddief
04-14-2005, 06:56 PM
sells what I understand to be a Taiwan manufactured copy of the old Ritchey design. I saw one of these in person, however not in silver, but it was simple and the logo was small and distinctive. They are available in silver and I would not hesitate to give one a try.

Just the right price for a shiny hunk of metal with a bolt going through it.

I'm sure not for the weight weenie, but I imagine it will hold your saddle and not come apart.

http://store.somafab.com/somaseatpost.html

I just happened by a shop in Berkeley this evening and saw the silver post up close and personal. It will do the job, but definitely finished in a way that matches the inexpensive price.

CNote
04-14-2005, 08:05 PM
Eddie, thanks for the photos. They do actually do it better justice than the other pictures I've seen. I kind of like the satin, the price is right, and I may end up going with the Oval Concepts. I wonder if a little acetone would take that logo off?

Jeff, on the other hand, I have thought about the Chorus ti, and I may still be interested if the price is right. You've got a PM waiting for you.

Thanks, all!

jbay
04-14-2005, 08:09 PM
[...]
The final candidates I've narrowed it down to are the Salsa Shaft and the Oval Concepts R700. This is completely superficial, but I don't want the Salsa name on this particular bike. :crap: :crap: Same goes for Oval Concepts :crap: , but less so...I don't know why, but the name is just so silly. Out of the two, I am leaning towards the Oval Concepts but I've never seen the silver one, and I can't tell what the finish is like. Any comments?

You can remove the name from the Oval Concepts 'post using paint stripper. The finish isn't Nitto quality, but compared to most other posts available these days, it's pretty nice.

-- John

jeffhall
04-14-2005, 08:18 PM
Cnote, Price likely WON't be right. These are not made anymore and as a bigger guy that values my *&^%$#'s, I don't like riding on carbon so I got these for future bikes.

Ever since the guy came into the shop one day telling the story of the carbon post that failed and sliced his *&^%$#'s open, I have been riding either Ti or Alloy posts.

30 stiches and one *&^%$# later, I think he rides Ti or alloy posts now, too!

jbay
04-14-2005, 08:19 PM
Has anyone ever made a better seatpost than Nitto?

In recent history, the twin-bolt Suntour Superbe [Pro] and [XC] Pro took some beating. They didn't have the most wonderful Nitto finish, but they were also a lot less inclined to slip (in the frame) than I have found to be the case with Nitto posts, and they shared the same two-bolt adjustability and stay-putness of saddle angle as the Jaguar.

Going back further, the ol' twin-bolt Campags. were fabulous and I love the design of the Simplex posts.

More recently, the made-only-for-a-few-years Campag. steel seatposts were a supremely precise fit in the frame, but had a sadly large granularity of angle adjustment, due to the serrations on the post and clamp and it was also only a single bolter. Too bad, but sometimes those serrations just happened to be in the right spot!

-- John

Rapid Tourist
04-14-2005, 08:33 PM
wallingford bikes sells a good looking post with 2.5 mm of setback.

http://www.wallbike.com/seatposts/matrix.html

While you're at it pick up a brooks saddle. You'll never go back :D :)

CNote
04-14-2005, 08:45 PM
I'm warming to the finish on the Oval Concepts, and it meets my other admittedly strict criteria. For those who've used it, how is the adjustability?

chrisroph
04-14-2005, 11:21 PM
Ritcheys are excellent. I also love the setback thomsons. I also thought they looked funky until I used a couple of them. They are so well engineered and built, so functionally superb, that I now find them absolutely beautiful.

lnomalley
04-15-2005, 02:06 AM
i have nothing but great things to say about Oval (seat post, stems, bar, and forks on my racing rig). The seatposts are fantastic looking and work great. you can hand polish them if you are feeling motivated....

Ti Designs
04-15-2005, 05:16 AM
You are spending way too much time looking at your seatpost. If you do that too much while you ride you're going to wind up drafting a parked car and then you'll be looking for a new front fork...

The only reason to purchase a seatpost based on asthetics is if you're a racer - here's my logic. Let's say you're in a race, you attacked solo a few miles back, there's a hill in the distance where your friends are watching. You want to gauge how far back the chase group is, but you don't want them to know you're looking back, so you pop it up two gears and get out of the saddle. As long as you're up there, why not take a quick glance back to see were they are? You see they're closing fast, but damn, that's a good looking seatpost!!! Your fly seatpost is all the inspiration you need to keep it in the same gear and stomp up that hill past your friends - you're a hero to them...

William
04-15-2005, 05:24 AM
Had a Polished American Classic post that was "lost". :rolleyes:
Now have a shiney black American Classic with Silver lettering that I really like on the Super Stealthy Serotta Black & Blue Bird.

Have you looked at AC? As I remember it, it may come close to your criteria.

William

Jeff N.
04-15-2005, 08:17 AM
If you're running Dura Ace, go with the Dura Ace seatpost. With Campy, you could go with a Bold Precision seatpost, as others suggest.Albert will customize to your liking. For a price.The Bold'll go with anything. Saddle installation is a bit tricky though. For a black seatpost, I have always thought the now-hard-to-locate Mavic seatpost to be the very highest quality, best looking seatpost out there, aluminum or otherwise. Jeff N.

dirtdigger88
04-15-2005, 09:17 AM
I have been pleased with my Dura Ace post-

Jason

Richard
04-15-2005, 09:26 AM
William, I have used AC post for what seems like forever. They are light, cheap and have a nice adjustment for level. They have no panache, though. Is it because they don't cost a lot? I think that they are also limited as to the weight of the user.

William
04-15-2005, 04:00 PM
William, I have used AC post for what seems like forever. They are light, cheap and have a nice adjustment for level. They have no panache, though. Is it because they don't cost a lot? I think that they are also limited as to the weight of the user....
...I think that they are also limited as to the weight of the user.

I hope not, because that silver AC post held up my 260 LBS arse for a number of years. :eek:

I don't know, I don't think they look that bad. I really like the gloss black post with the glossy stealth black of the Serotta.

BaaWoo! BaaWoo!

William

chrisroph
04-15-2005, 04:24 PM
I like the AC's. I've got 3 of them, one of the old one piece USA built models and two of the newer two piece units. They are cheap and effective. The clamps do seem to flex a bit. William, I'm a little surprised a big a boy as you uses them but I'm glad they have held up for you.

Len J
04-15-2005, 04:28 PM
wallingford bikes sells a good looking post with 2.5 mm of setback.

http://www.wallbike.com/seatposts/matrix.html

While you're at it pick up a brooks saddle. You'll never go back :D :)

and it has been quite durable.

Len