PDA

View Full Version : "S-brake bridge" Is this supposed to be standard on Serotta Ti Frames?

Wayne77
04-14-2005, 02:11 PM
All the Ti Serotta's I have seen online have that nice brake bridge with the Serotta "S" engraved in the middle. I just stopped by my shop today to check out my newly arrived Concours frame (with traditional stays). I noticed that it had a very generic looking arched brake bridge with a square cross section. I thought the S-bridge was standard on Serotta's with the traditional seat stays. Does anyone know if this is true?

A minor detail I know, but it was kind of a let-down since that was a detail I have always liked about the Serotta's I have seen in the past.

Thanks,

Wayne

Wayne77
04-14-2005, 03:01 PM
I spoke with James, who explained it is std on the Legend, but not the Concours. No big deal I guess, everything else about the frame is very nice.

davids
04-14-2005, 03:14 PM
This is an example of a Serotta practice that bugs me - Reserving the nice little "extras", like the brake bridge and the head badge, for the higher-level models. I can't imagine that adding these lovely litte details to every model in the line would effect the bottom line very much?

I appreciate, for example, that my Steel Axiom has the same engraved badge as the Elium. It sends the message that they're every bit as proud of their $1500 frame as their $4000 model.

vaxn8r
04-14-2005, 10:31 PM
I don't have a problem with having a few nicer touches on the high end models, but I do feel that what those differences are should be clearly stated on the web page and in the brochure. I'm sure Wayne would have appreciated knowing that before he bought it. Obviously not a deal breaker but still, would have been nice to know, instead of being a bit of a letdown.

Jeff N.
04-14-2005, 11:10 PM
Its called attention to detail; some got it, some don't. Jeff N.

aj4e
04-15-2005, 08:40 AM
I recently bought a brand-new car for the first time, so I had the luxury of choosing which options I wanted (unlike my previous experiences with buying used cars where what you see is what you get.) I did not know up front which options were available, but I knew which ones I liked and which ones I didn't care about. I know it is not an uncommon practice for higher end models (in the car or bicycle industry) to have more standard features and options than the other models. And since I knew I wasn't getting a top of the line model vehicle, I made sure that the options and details I liked were available on the car that I ultimately chose. Yeah, I could have lived without the leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter, but I like them and would have been very disappointed if I expected them and didn't get them. And it wouldn't have been the manufacturer's fault if I didn't get them because I didn't ask about them. That would have been a lack of attention to detail on my part.

Wayne, by relating this, I do not intend to offend you, just to explain that I understand your situation fully and how I was unable to avoid being in the same boat. I hope you enjoy your new ride as much as I enjoy mine!

Larry D
04-15-2005, 02:36 PM
I looked at my wife's Colorado III and it has the engraved S on the brake bridge. Just an FYI. :)

Wayne77
04-15-2005, 04:08 PM
I looked at my wife's Colorado III and it has the engraved S on the brake bridge. Just an FYI. :)

Yeah its strange that the Steel models have the engraved bridge (even the Fierte) but not the Concours ????????

Anyone else out there with a 2005 Concours? Does yours have the "S Bridge"? -Just want to make sure this is std for the Concours, not a screw up. If I see another 2005 Concours with the S-Bridge, I swear I'm gonna...maybe...uh..<sigh>... :confused:

Serotta does change the cosmetic features from year to year though. This year the headbadge is std on the Concours, last year it wasn't. Last year a 3/4 paint 1/4 matte paint was free, this year its $150. Very confusing...

Other than the bridge I am very happy with the frame though. The finish is impeccable and the overall experience was wonderful. -I'll post some pics this weekend.

Wayne

shaq-d
04-15-2005, 08:23 PM
I spoke with James, who explained it is std on the Legend, but not the Concours. No big deal I guess, everything else about the frame is very nice.

i bought my serotta "CTI" from a guy who told me it's a concours... it has the "S" brake bridge.. (1998 cti)

sd