PDA

View Full Version : Pegoretti film

thwart
08-27-2010, 10:50 PM
Awright... this one is not to be missed.

Goes away at noon tomorrow, I think. You've been warned.

http://www.rapha.cc/of-steel--trailer/?cm_mmc=email-_-270810-_-img1-_-dacciaio

Whoops---Rapha website says 12:00 PM GMT.

StellaBlue
08-27-2010, 11:05 PM
Grazie...

rounder
08-27-2010, 11:22 PM
I give it a 10.

rcnute
08-27-2010, 11:49 PM
His disregard for his eyes and lungs is fascinating.

bking
08-28-2010, 06:02 AM
thanks.

sjbraun
08-28-2010, 08:11 AM
My bike was made by a mad man,

as in "marked by uncontrolled excitement or emotion"

I like that :banana:

AngryScientist
08-28-2010, 08:12 AM
nice.

Smiley
08-28-2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the nice find.... bet that film costs a pretty penny so how do the recoup their cash outlay?

STEEL is REAL

bigreen505
08-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

rwsaunders
08-28-2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the nice find.... bet that film costs a pretty penny so how do the recoup their cash outlay?

Have you priced those gentleman's kits that they sell? Cool flick...the best of the three that Rapha has posted.

mack
08-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks for sharing Thwart....certainly some good bits, I love the Italian lifestyle!

You riding the Steel is Real ride in brewtown on sept. 11?
TC -mike

Lifelover
08-28-2010, 11:49 AM
If you don't go into the film with a preconceived sense of awe, the film can make him come off a little bit like a prick.

coylifut
08-28-2010, 12:37 PM
why don't you grow a set and come out and call the guy a prick? why be a pussy about it. if you think the guy's a prick, call him one.

Lifelover
08-28-2010, 12:51 PM
why don't you grow a set and come out and call the guy a prick? why be a pussy about it. if you think the guy's a prick, call him one.

I have a pretty nice set already!

I don't think I could fully evaluate if someone is a full on prick based on a 14 minute film.

My OP stands as stated, although I did forget the ATMO.

PBWrench
08-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks -- great, great clip.

Check this out:

porcupinetree.com

Nil Else
08-28-2010, 02:21 PM
Cool film. It would be cool to hang out with Dario for a day.

I LUV steel bikes. I always wanted a Peg or two and will probably get at least one at some point soon (with a right kinda paint, that is). I would want one that Dario put together. I can see that he is passionate in his own way, beyond experienced and totally in tune with his craft... another word, a “master”. After seeing someone in another board fanatically commenting Dario eating lunch in this film is so cool he swears that it convinced him that he decided he’s ordering a Peg, I would not touch this subject with ten foot pole other than kneeling down bowing to the mythical the man himself. The following and the admiration is evidently just incredible. I suppose that’s what you’d want if you are a frame builder or mfg.

Norm Swift
08-28-2010, 02:27 PM
Aside from Dario's philosophy on building steel bikes and his interpersonal skills (perhaps lack of), I love his philosophy on wine... specifically drinking the good stuff first.

Norm

texbike
08-28-2010, 02:43 PM
I liked the comment about Dario preferring to sleep with one of his steel frames instead of a nice set of "T&Ts". Personally, I can't identify but the video was cool. :)

At least it wasn't the usual Rapha film chock full of emaciated white dudes grimacing from the epic-ness of their ride.

Texbike

johnnymossville
08-28-2010, 02:44 PM
Aside from Dario's philosophy on building steel bikes and his interpersonal skills (perhaps lack of), I love his philosophy on wine... specifically drinking the good stuff first.

Norm

yep, always drink the good stuff first. that's a must.

thwart
08-28-2010, 03:47 PM
Steel is Real ride in brewtown That looks like a great time.

I'll be out of state on that date, but next year...

thinpin
08-28-2010, 04:10 PM

Norm
I believe Jesus was there first, some wedding or other he was at ;)

I work with a few northern Italians. And that film just about sums up the daily goings on!

victoryfactory
08-28-2010, 04:28 PM
never really "got" the Peg thing, other than he
obviously makes great steel frames.
then I saw his stuff close up at the
handmade show in Richmond. Well, there
were lots of fine steel bike there. Many had
finer technical detail than Dario's. (IMO) But what
got me most was his paint. What art!
you could feel the passion. Nothing moved
me more that day. In a world of understated
paint jobs, his art really stands out.

Thanks for posting that film

VF

StellaBlue
08-28-2010, 05:57 PM
never really "got" the Peg thing, other than he
obviously makes great steel frames.

What else is there to get?

cody.wms
08-28-2010, 07:18 PM
What else is there to get?

He makes really great aluminum bikes, too.

indyrider
08-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Passion baby! Love to share a bottle with Dario and crew....

BumbleBeeDave
08-28-2010, 09:26 PM

STEEL is REAL

. . . like this:

http://www.rapha.cc/paul-smith-grand-tour-gloves/?locale=US

"We are Rapha-philes, and if you don't do, say, wear and ride everything we do, you are just so uncool that we can't be bothered to even notice you exist." :rolleyes:

BBD

mcteague
08-29-2010, 06:41 AM
I guess I am missing the point here. Very little about his frames in this video. I don't even think it was well produced. Dark images and poor sub-titling. Dario sure seems passionate but he also seems a bit unfocused. Lots of cussing and smoking and eating. Where is the frame building? And, after having just gone through cancer treatment he is still smoking.

So, he appears to be thinking about quitting and still smokes. Better get those Pegs while you can.

Tim

Climb01742
08-29-2010, 07:52 AM
a few thoughts...

i know dario. i like dario. a lot. so i'm biased.

please keep a few things in mind before judging dario based on this film.

this film is 14 minutes. can anyone be reflected fully or accurately in 14 mins? it's a glimpse.

a glimpse seen and chosen by a filmmaker. this is dario through someone else's eyes.

dario is a complicated guy. but aren't we all? but i think achievements are born from our contradictions and complications and our demons. dario wouldn't do what he does unless he was complicated.

just speaking of dario as a person, he's one of the most passionate, warm-hearted, life-gobbling, friendliest, generous and believe it or not, sweetest people i've ever met. something else that might surprise you. i honestly doubt he's agree with a lot of the praise he gets. he's a guy who builds bikes and tries to build the best ones he can. he's chasing greatness with his hands. he's passionate about what he's chasing but humble about himself.

he ain't perfect but he's just a good good guy. and i'd guess 99% of the people who have ever spoken with him or had a glass of wine or plate of pasta with him came away liking him. no more, no less, he's a good egg.

weisan
08-29-2010, 08:12 AM
Cilmb-0 has the last word! ;)

gemship
08-29-2010, 08:52 AM
Cilmb-0 has the last word! ;)

Yes very well put, the message is he is a salt of the earth dude.

I like Mcteague's post as well, there are some lifestyle issue that seem contradicting.

I also agree with Victoryfactory, the paint jobs love em or hate em certainly are the most standout feature to his bikes, don't get me wrong his design and craftsmanship is great but with so many artisan steel offerings to chose from...

Kirk007
08-29-2010, 08:56 AM
I also agree with Victoryfactory, the paint jobs love em or hate em certainly are the most standout feature to his bikes, don't get me wrong his design and craftsmanship is great but with so many artisan steel offerings to chose from...

Until you ride one. Sure the paint is part of the gestalt but when I'm on my Marcelo its not the paint that puts a smile on my face.

gemship
08-29-2010, 09:01 AM
Until you ride one. Sure the paint is part of the gestalt but when I'm on my Marcelo its not the paint that puts a smile on my face.

I passed one uphill yesterday, I was going to compliment the pilot on his wheels in between breaths but he cut me off with, "you caught me napping and I hate being passed."

I guess now it's about the bike? :bike:

texbike
08-29-2010, 04:15 PM
I guess I am missing the point here. Very little about his frames in this video. Where is the framebuilding?
Tim

One should keep in mind who commissioned the film: Rapha.

Rapha isn't about the bike. It's about the (perceived) lifestyle. I would say that this film fits in perfectly with the Rapha ethos.

Texbike

johnnymossville
08-29-2010, 04:26 PM
I liked it. If it was longer I would have even popped some popcorn.

You know the film I really want to see? A film about a guy who's worked 45 years welding Walmart bikes in China and how he views his craft.

rugbysecondrow
08-29-2010, 08:49 PM
I guess I am missing the point here. Very little about his frames in this video. I don't even think it was well produced. Dark images and poor sub-titling. Dario sure seems passionate but he also seems a bit unfocused. Lots of cussing and smoking and eating. Where is the frame building? And, after having just gone through cancer treatment he is still smoking.

So, he appears to be thinking about quitting and still smokes. Better get those Pegs while you can.

Tim

I think we all have misperceptions about people. We have mental images of how we think they are, but the truth is that our dentists, teachers, doctors, bike shop owners etc. have imperfections too...Cussing, smoking, womanizing, cheating, abusive, drinking, sexual procliitvies, unfocused...what combination do you think they are?

I really enjoyed watching the video...I am intrigued by flawed men (being one myself) and I found humor in his TREATS t-shirt and the baloon anology.

rugbysecondrow
08-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Mispost

mcteague
08-30-2010, 06:46 AM
I think we all have misperceptions about people. We have mental images of how we think they are, but the truth is that our dentists, teachers, doctors, bike shop owners etc. have imperfections too...Cussing, smoking, womanizing, cheating, abusive, drinking, sexual procliitvies, unfocused...what combination do you think they are?

I really enjoyed watching the video...I am intrigued by flawed men (being one myself) and I found humor in his TREATS t-shirt and the baloon anology.
I really didn't have any preconceptions about the man. For a video about the art of steel I sort of expected something about the frames and frame building. What I got was lots of bitching and moaning between employer and staff. All I knew about him personally was that he had cancer. He still smokes so I guess that brush with death did not deter him.

However, looking at his paint jobs, I assumed he was a bit of a free spirit.

Tim

BumbleBeeDave
08-30-2010, 07:26 AM
..Cussing, smoking, womanizing, cheating, abusive, drinking, sexual procliitvies, unfocused...

. . . my local HandleBra dealer has all these characteristics! :p :D :rolleyes: ;)

Except the "abusive" part. Does yelling at me for crashing and scratching the HandleBra on the bike count as "abuse?" :confused:

BBD

William
08-30-2010, 07:37 AM
. . . my local HandleBra dealer has all these characteristics! :p :D :rolleyes: ;)

Except the "abusive" part. Does yelling at me for crashing and scratching the HandleBra on the bike count as "abuse?" :confused:

BBD

He hires out for that. ;)

William

bobswire
08-30-2010, 07:41 AM
I enjoyed the film but I must say Pegoretti seems to enjoy being an "artist" of his craft as opposed to Serotta where everything is machined to exactness.

I would really like to own a Pegoretti but feel they are overpriced (meaning I can't afford one) but then again you're buying the "artist" as much as the bike itself and probably a good investment.
Yes I do like his paint.

jblande
08-30-2010, 07:44 AM
could everyone with absolutely no self-destructive facets to his or her respective life please raise their hand?

rugbysecondrow
08-30-2010, 08:03 AM
I really didn't have any preconceptions about the man. For a video about the art of steel I sort of expected something about the frames and frame building. What I got was lots of bitching and moaning between employer and staff. All I knew about him personally was that he had cancer. He still smokes so I guess that brush with death did not deter him.

However, looking at his paint jobs, I assumed he was a bit of a free spirit.

Tim
If there was a film about Picasso's paintings, I would not expect a documentary outline brush strokes and paint selection...the artist is the frame and visa versa. Couple that artist flair with performance and you have the opportunity for perfection. I guess I didn't expect a "how they build that" film. I actually thought the machining, the flux ( is that what was bubbling under the torch)was cool to see. I really enjoyed it.

danielpack22@ma
08-31-2010, 06:42 AM
I would raise my hand, but then I'd slosh my drink and that would put out my cigarette.... :beer: