PDA

View Full Version : Ridng in Bellingham WA Area

Velocat
08-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Anyone have any suggestions for exploring the Bellingham WA area by bike?
I'll be there visiting friends the 1st week of October. Yes, I'll be packing fenders, rain jacket and blinkys, but leaving the hard/fast mode at home. Also interested in taking in some of the local cycling culture, relaxation and good cooking.
Thanks for any help!

Dosebase02
08-26-2010, 03:35 PM
I used to live in Bellingham. Alabama Hill is an amazing climb, along with Lake Whatcom drive...ride around the lake and there are hills and flats, it's pretty good riding and very popular. Just have a mirror on your helmet for cars and you'll be fine. I love it there, especially with a slight breeze in the 70's..perfect riding right by a lake.

john903
08-26-2010, 06:06 PM
I live in Bellingham, there is lot's of great rides and places to eat. Send me a PM with more specifics like what type riding you want to do, how much time do you have and such. I can give you more detailed ride sugestions and directions if I know what type riding you want to do.

BengeBoy
08-26-2010, 06:12 PM
1. Drive to Anacortes, leave your car, ferry out to the San Juan Islands. For a big climb, go to Orcas Island and climb Mt. Constitution. If you want an easier ride just cruise around Orcas and skip Mt. Constitution, or do Lopez Island.

2. Ride down Chuckanut Drive, from Bellingham south toward the Skagit Valley. You can loop back around Lake Samish to get back to Bellingham.

If you want to hit some mountains, ride up to Artists Point at Mt. Baker. Drive to Glacier, leave the car, ride up the mountain. About a 50-mile round trip.

climbgdh
08-26-2010, 06:47 PM
If you want to hit some mountains, ride up to Artists Point at Mt. Baker. Drive to Glacier, leave the car, ride up the mountain. About a 50-mile round trip.

+1000 on the Artist Point ride. It's a fantastic ride. Wonderful climb where you have full views of Mt Shuksan & Mt Baker. Great switchbacks and finishes in the alpine above treeline. Absolutely great!!

Vancouverdave
08-26-2010, 08:05 PM
I'll second the suggestion on the Chuckanut Drive loop. Also, try exploring the Camano Island area to the Southwest. The San Juans are wonderful riding too but you don't have to go that far from town. I also hear that mountain biking is good there--there's a loop through the city. Lots of choices.

mjb266
08-27-2010, 12:22 PM
I live in Bellingham as well. PM me.
Jason

cnighbor1
08-27-2010, 06:06 PM
1. head out and up to Mt Baker ski area
2. head south along coast just south of the town of FairFax (sp) It follows the coast and rolls up and down. When in open farm land turn around and come back.You can make a loop of it by following fonrtage parelling I-5 south out of Bellingham and ride shore of lake when you reach it. after that head west to bottom of above. Not many choices to get lost
3. Just head east out of town with map and ride farm lands roads
4. You can ride up to vancouver and stay the nite and come back
5. take ferry to san jaun islands and ride some of those
Charles

TMB
08-27-2010, 06:18 PM
1. head out and up to Mt Baker ski area
2. head south along coast just south of the town of FairFax (sp) It follows the coast and rolls up and down. When in open farm land turn around and come back.You can make a loop of it by following fonrtage parelling I-5 south out of Bellingham and ride shore of lake when you reach it. after that head west to bottom of above. Not many choices to get lost
3. Just head east out of town with map and ride farm lands roads
4. You can ride up to vancouver and stay the nite and come back
5. take ferry to san jaun islands and ride some of those
Charles

This.

Ride or drive up to Lynden or Nooksack and do the 542 up Mt. Baker.

bironi
08-27-2010, 08:11 PM
The Boundary Bay brew pub has good stuff too. :beer: :beer:

I like Chuckanut and Mt. Baker, but I'm just a tourist from Olympia, Wa.

mjb266
08-30-2010, 09:23 AM
I live five miles up the hill from Nooksack (past the log mill) and would love to show anyone around if I'm free. Amazing rides with far too few riders, little traffic, and amazing scenery.

This.

Ride or drive up to Lynden or Nooksack and do the 542 up Mt. Baker.

Ozz
08-30-2010, 12:04 PM
+1000 on the Artist Point ride. It's a fantastic ride. Wonderful climb where you have full views of Mt Shuksan & Mt Baker. Great switchbacks and finishes in the alpine above treeline. Absolutely great!!
Here you go:

http://www.norka.us/content/festival_542/festival_542.asp

Are you doing this ride?

climbgdh
08-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Here you go:

http://www.norka.us/content/festival_542/festival_542.asp

Are you doing this ride?

Did that ride / race last year. It's tons of fun. Won't be doing it this year. I'm in for LOTOJA..... so will be in the pain cave for 10+ hours that day making my way from Logan to Jackson. Yikes!!