PDA

View Full Version : Mavic Open Pro rims -- OK for commuting?

JustRidingAlong
08-26-2010, 12:52 PM
I want some ceramic-coated rims for my commuter, and it looks like the Open Pro's are the only choice for current production (700c) rims. My current setup is 32h Velocity Dyads laced (double-butted) to vintage Deore LX hubs. I weigh 197# or so, and carry 10-15 # in front panniers on low rider (front) racks. Tires are 32mm (actual) inflated to 50-70psi.

jlwdm
08-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Would be an excellent choice.

Jeff

gasman
08-26-2010, 01:06 PM
Bomb proof-used them for years laced to Ultegra hubs.

TimmyB
08-26-2010, 01:13 PM
+1 to what they said ^

I've had a set of 32H OP's as my commuters for quite a while now and they've proven quite durable, without being overly heavy. Granted I'm a light guy, but they've stayed true after getting hit by not one but two cars :crap:

rugbysecondrow
08-26-2010, 01:15 PM
I want some ceramic-coated rims for my commuter, and it looks like the Open Pro's are the only choice for current production (700c) rims. My current setup is 32h Velocity Dyads laced (double-butted) to vintage Deore LX hubs. I weigh 197# or so, and carry 10-15 # in front panniers on low rider (front) racks. Tires are 32mm (actual) inflated to 50-70psi.

OPs are great rims, can I ask why you are getting rid of the Dyad? I have read good things about them as well.

Thanks

Ken Robb
08-26-2010, 01:16 PM
I have them on Campy and Shimano hubs: all 32 hole and all wonderful. I though I read that ceramic rims had been discontinued but I'm not sure about that at all.

fiamme red
08-26-2010, 01:23 PM
At what weight should one consider Open Sport rims instead of Open Pros? I assume that Open Sports, with more material, would be preferable for touring?

JustRidingAlong
08-26-2010, 01:27 PM
There's nothing wrong with the Dyads, I just want better braking in the wet. I ran ceramics on my mtb a long time ago, and the braking was outstanding (this was, obviously, pre-discs).

dbh
08-26-2010, 03:00 PM
I've used Open Pros on my commuter and have never had a problem. Should suit you just fine. That said, I've got a second pair, which have ceramic rims, and they tend to eat brake pads like butter. I use the green Kool Stop ceramic-specific pads on my Merckx, which I honestly don't ride all that often. I'm changing pads every few months. Yes, stopping power is pretty good in wet conditions, but I'm not sure it's worth it for me. If you're biking though the hills of Seattle everyday on a commuter, the trade off may be worth it for you.

oldpotatoe
08-27-2010, 07:49 AM

Use 36 hole hubs. Dyads are significantly heavier than OpenPros and with a bike rider, stuff package of 230 pounds plus I think OpenPros and 32 hole won't be reliable. 'May' be with 36 hole rims but.....

Ralph
08-27-2010, 08:53 AM
Good advice. Just think....it doesn't seem that long ago that 32 hole OP's were considered race rims.

If I were building up some wheels for a commuter bike, they would be nothing like what I would use for a recreational or racing bike. Not only would I not want to take the chance of a spoke breaking, or wheel getting out of true, they would have to be pot hole proof and flat proof as well. Would not want to take the chance of bike trouble on way to work or class. And I weigh 160.

ergott
08-27-2010, 09:04 AM
There have been issues with the ceramic coating on Open Pro rims. I've seen pics of the finish flaking off.

Contact Troy at Ligero Wheels. He has a ceramic coating option on his Kinlin rims.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=67477&start=0

JustRidingAlong
08-27-2010, 09:35 AM
There have been issues with the ceramic coating on Open Pro rims. I've seen pics of the finish flaking off.

Contact Troy at Ligero Wheels. He has a ceramic coating option on his Kinlin rims.

Crap.

Sounds like I'm pretty much guaranteed to get at least one shoddy rim.

I guess I'll just stock up on Kool Stop salmon inserts until I can find another alternative.

jmeloy
08-27-2010, 11:00 AM

Have got Troy's ceramic coated on my SV and they are tremendous (altho' pretty dry here in KS!)

cetuximab
08-27-2010, 11:23 AM
I just built up a disc cyclocross bike for commuting. I love the stopping power. Disc brakes are great in the rain and are helpful if you are carrying a little weight on the bike. I have a few steep hill on my commute and the disc stop no matter what.

29'r wheelsets are super strong. The rear hub if 5mm wider than my frame, but it works.