PDA

View Full Version : Rider killed in MI

M_A_Martin
04-13-2005, 09:22 PM
On Sunday here in Michigan, we lost Todd Schoenheide, a 17 year old member of our community and cycling community to a car.

Todd was riding second in a three man paceline when a mustang ran a stop sign at high speed and killed him instantly. The third rider suffered a severe hand injury.

I know we have occasionally been rough on Tom Demerly here on the forum, but he tells the story well:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/editorials/0000081.shtml

Hug the ones you love.

Mary Ann

Sandy
04-13-2005, 10:57 PM
Several genuinely tragic and sad stories in that one piece. " Hug the ones you love" makes a great deal of sense. You simply never know what is around the corner. Sadly, very tragic situations occur so quickly and without any advanced warning, almost seemingly instantaneously.

Sandy

mavic1010
04-13-2005, 11:15 PM
Hearing stories like this which have become much too frequent, makes me think about my desire to ride my bike. Though I love cycling, the people that I've met, and staring at painted tubes, I do not love it more than life.

What I gathered most from the story is that people today drive much too fast and recklessly on the roads, hence my hesitation to ride on the streets, and delegate myself to the riverbed or bike trails which are thankfully close to my home. Many may feel frustrated with my desire to only ride on such paths, but my desire to live and be with my family is far greater than putting a leg over a bike.

To a our fallen rider...rest in peace....

EPOJoe
04-14-2005, 12:08 AM
After the recent incident with my brother being hit, my thinking is, unfortunately, also leaning towards limiting my time on the roads and trying to spend most of my riding time on local bike trails. After actually witnessing an unavoidable “hit” due to a reckless driver that easily could have taken a member of my family, stories like this have a much greater impact me (no pun intended). It could be any one of us, at any time.

M_A_Martin
04-14-2005, 12:39 AM
I've been watching the stories, and considering that I haven't found the driver's name anywhere, I suspect the driver may be a minor. They do say that they're waiting for blood tests to come back to see if alcohol was involved.

Ray
04-14-2005, 06:55 AM
None of this lessens the potential danger or brings anyone back, but I perceive (I realize this could be rationalization) far less risk in some areas than others. I live in a small town that is primarily rural to the west and primarily suburban to the east. The prevailing wind is from the west so I generally ride out to the west into the most rural areas, into the wind, and return with the wind. There are a few sections of road in this area where I have to be really aware of traffic, but they are relatively short and it's not tough to really up the concentration level for short periods. Most of the roads out there are VERY sleepy, narrow, winding, hilly. There are very few cars and the geometry of the roads assures that the cars can't be going very fast. There are a few yahoos, but most drivers are very sane and considerate in these areas. While I've had a few close encounters, I feel pretty safe riding in this area and rarely feel stressed by traffic when I ride there.

The last few days we've had a pretty stiff breeze out of the northeast and I've adjusted my route accordingly, riding into the teeth of some very suburban areas. On these rides, I'm forced to ride on a fair number of roads with a fairly high volume of relatively high-speed traffic. I'm reasonably comfortable and assertive riding in traffic, but after even 35-40 miles of riding in this kind of environment, I'm pretty mentally spent. I've noticed this often enough to be pretty sure it's just the stress of riding in this type of traffic. It likely IS more dangerous, and it definitely FEELS more dangerous, and the higher level of concentration associated with that really reduces the pleasure of the riding for me.

Some of these news stories and numerous posts here and elsewhere make it sound like a lot of folks ride pretty much all the time in relatively high traffic areas. As much as I love to ride, and I love it a LOT, I have to wonder how much riding I'd actually do if I had to ride in higher traffic, higher speed locations for most of my riding. I have a feeling I'd have had a lot more close calls if not accidents by now and I think that would sap my enthusiasm substantially. I realize I could buy the farm anytime anywhere I ride, but the level of perceived danger seems to make a big difference to me. Reading these stories make the areas these guys were riding sound pretty horrific.

Be careful out there,

-Ray

Tom
04-14-2005, 07:12 AM
I've been riding evenings until it gets above freezing in the mornings. I don't like evenings. Lots more cars, drivers are cranky. I also have had the impression that in the more open areas the drivers seem to act differently. West of town up on the hills the people seem to be more considerate. To the east toward the developments it's a different story.

bulliedawg
04-14-2005, 07:13 AM
As much as I love to ride, and I love it a LOT, I have to wonder how much riding I'd actually do if I had to ride in higher traffic, higher speed locations for most of my riding.

I'm with you on this one, Ray. If I lived where some of these folks live, I might hang up the bike. I'd take cycling vacations here and again, but I'd become primarily a runner instead of a cyclist. All those cars would make cycling pretty tough to enjoy.

OldDog
04-14-2005, 07:23 AM
All of us, all cyclists everywhere, road, mtn, track, whatever, need to make other non-cycling friends, family and aquintences aware that bicycles are out there, to watch everywhere and be aware.

The motorcycle industry does an awareness program, successfully I think. It's time the bicycle industry, as a whole including manufacturers of bikes and components, distributors and dealers and local clubs, step up and does the same in a uniform fashion.

93legendti
04-14-2005, 08:05 AM
How sad and tragic. I know that area...

BumbleBeeDave
04-14-2005, 09:31 AM
. . . back.

BBDave

M_A_Martin
04-14-2005, 09:39 AM
On feeling "safe" where you ride. That's something that's plain to the riders who ride the area, but wasn't explained in the article...

The Jeep/Mortocycle/Bicycle accident happened on Hines drive. A large part of Hines is a linear park with relatively low speed limits and the road for the most part has very wide shoulders and a bike path available as well. It's a favorite training area because riders feel "safe" on the shoulder and you can get a decent ride in without worrying too much about traffic... Not on that day.

JohnS
04-14-2005, 10:46 AM
I second MA's observations about Hines Drive. I probably put close to 75% of my yearly mileage on there. Of course, that's where a car made a right turn into me three years ago, also.

93legendti
04-14-2005, 10:50 AM
. . . back.

BBDave

Thanks, but I don't think I ever left! :)

CalfeeFly
04-14-2005, 02:35 PM
I city ride about 4,000 to 5,000 miles are year. I assume at any intersection the other guy may not stop. It has saved me more than once. I try to ride very defensively.

A guy that bought in my shop was "hit." I put it in quotes because I think I know what happened. He claimed a car passed him just before the intersection and then turned. Just 2 nights ago I had just rounded a corner and was moving into my line and luckily saw something in the corner of my eye. Here this yutz is passing me on the right without a word essentially in the intersection. I then realized the damage on his bike was more consistent with him passing all the cars on the right when the light changed...being next to a car and not seeing a turn signal...and in turn he rode right into the car. I'm sure if we had gone down he would have blamed it on me. I don't know why I added this to the thread except for still being angry at such an idiot.

Anyhow I just assume nothing from cars except the worst. I think that is the only way we can ride unless there is not traffic. I'd feel riding in a paceline...head down...hammering through intersections is dangerous. There are way too many idiots on the road. If I see a car approaching a red light I assume he may not stop, I slow down and wait until I make eye contact and he is committed to actually stopping. If I did not do that I may have joined that young man myself. It is so sad for such a waste of a good life.

The next thing I do for rear protection is to fly the red, white and blue. The rednecks, old farts in Buicks and such give you more respect. My favorite jersey right now is last years Olympic Jersey. I now own three as after hundreds of miles nobody has ever bothered me when I had it on. I do hear people cheering on "USA."

In cold weather my jacket is a clone of that the police wear. NOBODY bothers me when I wear that. It is a joy to wear!

M_A_Martin
04-14-2005, 03:15 PM
As the mustang was reportedly driving at 70-100mph at time of impact, I don't think the three guys in the paceline had much chance to see it coming let alone contemplate if it was going to stop, or if they could avoid it or not.
But I don't know...I wasn't there. It's a tightknit community around here, I'm sure the full story will come out sooner or later.

OldDog
04-14-2005, 03:40 PM
snipped from CalfeeFly: "In cold weather my jacket is a clone of that the police wear. NOBODY bothers me when I wear that. It is a joy to wear!"

A Calfee Cop :D

My buddy noticed increased respect when he jumped on the US Postal bandwagon wearing nearly the full team kit each time he went out.

CalfeeFly
04-14-2005, 04:51 PM
M A I agree the paceline may not have been the reason. It really would depend on the sightline as to whether you would see him coming or not. If you could see far enough and you can judge speed you would.

I guess maybe I'm overly cautious. I tend to slow down approaching an intersection and look whether I have the green light or if the car approaching a stop sign is stopping. I just had a car run a red the other day. I saw him coming and waited to see him slowing and he sure wasn't. I always assume that a car or two will run the light as it changes to red. I don't start up from an intersection until I'm sure that the approaching next car is stopping for the change or running it. Everybody seems to be in a hurry. The same is true with left turn signals.

Also in an intersection once I am at a full stop at a light I will continue if there is nothing coming from any direction. My theory is that the intersection is the most dangerous place for us. If I can clear it without a car anywhere near me I'm better off. Too often somebody is so worried they will get "stuck" behind you that they do some very strange things as your light turns green. This way I clear the intersection and get in my line so they can go around me or past me depending on the street.

Again I feel very badly for the young man and so much for his parents. It is known as the greatest loss you can have. Since I never get over missing my parents I know I can't even begin to imagine the pain of losing a child.

Ahneida Ride
04-14-2005, 06:29 PM
Judging from what happed to the deviant who killed David Ryan...
Nothing will happen !!!

CalfeeFly
04-14-2005, 07:28 PM
I looked at the news articles and I could not find the final sentence after the guilty plea. Do you know what it was?

William
04-15-2005, 06:25 AM
One incident that will always be etched in my mind, and touches of the randomness of tragedies, is a close call that I had with my family in the car. We had just left our house and were heading out to gets some lunch on a Saturday afternoon. It was a nice sunny, warm spring day. The kind that you like to just inhale deeply and take in the warm fresh spring scents that are floating in the air. We were driving down a two lane road that would take us out to one of the main roads that split Beaverton and Aloha outside of Portland. We were driving down a long straight stretch where there aren't too many houses, a little woodsy. Half way up this section of the road is a one light intersection, the approach from either direction on that road is blocked by woods on one side, and a couple of houses and woods on the other. We were driving at about 35 to 40 mph (whatever the speed limit was) and the light was green for us (had been green for a bit). I'd say we were about 3 to 4 seconds from the intersection when all of a sudden a gray or sliver Honda Accord comes out of nowhere and launches across the intersection, gets airborne, lands and bottoms out on the other side of the intersection with a shower of sparks, and then it was gone. It's one of those things that happens in the blink of an eye but it was like slow motion to me. I could see two teens in the car, the driver had black hair and was wearing a white t-shirt. It looked like they were laughing? Judging by how fast they shot through the intersection, I guessed their speed to be between 80 + 90 mph.
My wife, my little boy, and little girl were in the car with me. 4 and 1 years old at the time. What if I hadn't had to chase my boy around a little bit in the driveway to get him in the car? What if we hadn't had to stop at the previous intersection? It wouldn't have taken much to alter our travel by 3 to 4 seconds. What can one do?

I just try to be a little more cautious, check intersections before I go through. I don't race to get through lights anymore. I don't gun it off a green light either. I always try to look first and watch for the person trying to blast through to beat the red light.

Chance and luck can play a big part. You just have to try to be vigilant and better your percentages.

William

soulspinner
04-15-2005, 07:18 AM
Excellent post C-FLY. Really the way I see it too. I ride very, very defensively.

CalfeeFly
04-15-2005, 01:58 PM
Soulspinner...I appreciate the kind words. Have a nice weekend! :)

Vancouverdave
04-15-2005, 04:03 PM
Another reason to believe that $5/gallon gasoline would be the very best thing that could happen to this country.

spiderman
04-15-2005, 09:12 PM
i ride in very remote areas
sometimes with little or no identification...
but typically let my family know my route
and approximate time of return.

"Suddenly riding a bicycle began to feel a lot like war."

that statement in the article...
got me thinking that the standard military practice
of wearing a dog tag around your neck
and one in your shoe/boot
is a good practice...
i've thought about it enough to actually
have my tags out and on my bedside table.
i think i'll put them on
and remember these fallen riders...

gasman
04-15-2005, 09:59 PM
Another reason to believe that $5/gallon gasoline would be the very best thing that could happen to this country.

I agree and for a lot of other reasons.

So sad to hear of another tragic accident.

Ray
04-16-2005, 05:37 AM
i ride in very remote areas
sometimes with little or no identification...
but typically let my family know my route
and approximate time of return.

"Suddenly riding a bicycle began to feel a lot like war."

that statement in the article...
got me thinking that the standard military practice
of wearing a dog tag around your neck
and one in your shoe/boot
is a good practice...
i've thought about it enough to actually
have my tags out and on my bedside table.
i think i'll put them on
and remember these fallen riders...
I also ride in pretty remote areas most of the time and often by myself. I generally feel pretty safe out there, but if something DID happen, I'd want whoever found me to be able to contact my family. I had an ID tag made up with my most pertinent information - name, wife's name, phone numbers, drugs I'm allergic too, etc, so I could be treated appropriately and she could be contacted relatively quickly. Fortunately, it's never had to be used...

-Ray

Dekonick
04-16-2005, 07:36 PM
makes you think.

:bike:

BumbleBeeDave
04-16-2005, 10:16 PM
. . . a pair that I got at:

http://www.poundmaster.com/

I have my usual address info plus health insurance company, blood type, etc.

I always have these nightmares about the ER nurse snapping, “Well, we can’t sew that back on if we don’t know who’s going to pay for it!” :eek: :crap:

BBDave

gasman
04-17-2005, 12:42 AM
. . . a pair that I got at:

http://www.poundmaster.com/

I have my usual address info plus health insurance company, blood type, etc.

I always have these nightmares about the ER nurse snapping, “Well, we can’t sew that back on if we don’t know who’s going to pay for it!” :eek: :crap:

BBDave

Good idea Dave but you really don't have to worry about health insurance if you are critically injuried. I have cared for a lot of people in the operating room who we have no idea even who they are, just they need help and we help them.

If you are not critically or seriously injuried most hospitals will do a wallet biopsy first, then take your temperature second. :rolleyes:
Remember bees can only use their stinger once and we can't sew them back on to your behind. ;)

You're lucky, most bees don't know that.

CalfeeFly
04-18-2005, 07:49 AM
Reasons I'm cautious just from this weekend...

4 cars ran red lights...not yellow or even close pure red. The last evidently did not see it being lost in thought.

2 cars passed me and almost immediately turned right.

When avoidind a huge series of potholes on a side street I realized a kid in Daddy's SUV was bouncing right through them trying to squeeze my me on the right.

Those don't even count the guy or thought it was fine for him and his kid to ride down a trail side by side taking the whole thing up and looking at the river. He got insulted when I suggested that wasn't such a good idea.

Was it a full moon? :crap: