PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Fierte (steel) opinions?

gabbard
01-28-2004, 08:56 AM
I am in the market for a new road frame/fork and I'm trying to keep the frame and fork near $1200. This is not easy, but I have found several frames that might work - Cervelo SuperProdigy, Dean El Diente, Strong Racing Hyalite, Rocky Mountain Solo steel, (my club sponsor) and Serotta Fierte.

I will be using this bike for racing, training, group rides, fun rides, basically everything.

The Fierte seems very reasonable for a Serotta frame. I will test ride one at Wheat Ridge Cyclery, but I'm curious if any of you can give me any feedback on this frame if you have owned one or ridden one extensively. Are they heavy, poor ride quality, cheaper tubing, what makes them so much less expensive than other Sereotta frames? It makes me a little nervous to be buying the bottom of the line in a given manufacturer's lineup, but maybe there are no negatives to the frame (other than compact geometry, which I do not care for aesthetically).

Also, any comments on the Kestral fork? My club is sponsored by Alpha Q, so I could get a very good deal on a carbon fork if I did not use the Kestral.

Thanks.

Steve

Doc Hollywood
01-28-2004, 09:09 AM
I have no experience with the Fierte', but from your post, it sounds like you don't even consider it a good frame. Quote:

Are they heavy, poor ride quality, cheaper tubing, what makes them so much less expensive than other Sereotta frames? It makes me a little nervous to be buying the bottom of the line in a given manufacturer's lineup, but maybe there are no negatives to the frame (other than compact geometry, which I do not care for aesthetically).

If you aren't happy with it now, a test ride isn't going to make those "concerns" go away. The frame will still be compact geo., it still will be the least expensive Serotta frame set, and it still will bottom of the manuafacturer's line (according to you).

If you end up buying one, you will always be "second" guessing yourself and say if I only spent X more dollars or looked at a X frame, I would have been happier.

Just my two cents.

Doc

Climb01742
01-28-2004, 09:17 AM
a boxster is at the bottom of the porsche product range. choose your product range well, and even the bottom is pretty sweet. another option is to keep your eyes open for a used CIII or other serotta. to extend the car analogy, a used 993, say a '95, will still kick the (BLANK) out of most brand new sports cars from other builders. porsche doesn't build a bad sports car. (SUVs are, well,...) and ben doesn't build a bad frame. i think you can buy with confidence.

davep
01-28-2004, 09:25 AM
Also, check out Serotta's Demos and Deals page - http://www.serotta.com/pages/blowout.html. There's a 56 Fierte on there now for $718 with fork. Great deal if it fits. I almost bought it but found something that would work for me just a bit better.

gabbard
01-28-2004, 10:06 AM
I understand your points, and maybe you thought that I was making negative comments about a Serotta, but gee whiz, Doc H., you have no experience with the Fierte, but took all that time to tell me that my pre-conceived notions were way out of line? I stated my concerns so that others could discuss them, as other posters did.

I did not say that it was not a good frame, nor did I say that I was not happy with it now. It IS the bottom of the line, price wise, but as others stated a low-end frame from a great builder is still a great frame. I have not seen it in person and I have not test ridden it (yet). I wanted others to tell me about it and what they liked about it. Hopefully some will...

Also, I can not spend X dollars more, and there will always be other frames that I did not consider, so I have tried to narrow the world of frames down to an acceptable level, and the Fierte was one of those that interested me.

Steve

TmcDet
01-28-2004, 10:15 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=276&highlight=FIERTE

The 2003 Serotta catalogue told about how the cost of the Fierte was held down. The major cost savings is that it is stock geometry and that it is only available in 2 colors......Serotta did not skimp on the tubing of the Fierte and it is not heavier tubing.

Climb01742
01-28-2004, 10:16 AM
gabbard, i haven't ridden a fierte, but i do own a CIII. i love its ride. serotta really knows how to build steel. based on my interaction with serotta, i can't believe they'd put out a sub-standard frame just to hit a price point. and sometimes, price and ride aren't so directly connected. a CSi is much more costly than a CIII, but from what folks say, the rides are pretty close. perhaps the price gap and ride gap from a CIII to a fierte isn't that great. one more point: even if someone here raves or pans a fierte, ride one. your reaction may be very different. case in point: i may be the only phorum member who likes a litespeed, but damnit, my ghisallo climbs. see what your butt thinks. and i think doc hollywood was only suggesting an open mind. i don't think he meant anything more.

gabbard
01-28-2004, 10:33 AM
This quote probably says it best, and will prompt me to ride the bike:

"This may be Serotta's low price point bike but it is not a low end bike at all."

Amazingly, Wheat Ridge Cyclery has a 60 cm built up, in both a 2003 and 2004 Fierte steel. Nobody ever has frames built in my size!!

I'll check it out.

Steve

Matt Barkley
01-28-2004, 10:36 AM
Gabbard,
I have not ridden a fierte. I have, though, owned Serotta's bottom line steel bike a few years back. A tig-welded TG. It has been probably one of the best bikes I've owned for a number of reasons: Serotta quality - as stated before is this super-quality - yes, on the "bottom-of their-line" bike. The thing is they are able to offer you this bike for less because of its stock size runs, etc. Another reason the TG is was one of my favorite was because it fit me really well. (Or I fit on to really well.) I browsed the size (geometry) charts for the fierte and it comes in small increment sizes (ie. 1.5 cm) Yes I agree with you about the aesethtics of sloping. But - having said all this go give it a test - hope for a sunny day - and make sure the test bike is your size and you are confident you know and understand that size. Good Steel bikes are great. Check out the feel. - Matt

Doc Hollywood
01-28-2004, 10:56 AM
My point is/was in my first post is that, generally, if one has doubts about a potential purchase and they end up buying it, they may not be 100% happy in the long run. I am not saying that you are this type, but it is my observation of people in general.

As I stated, I don't have any experience with a Fierte', but I do own a Serotta (1991 NHX) and ride it more than 3000 miles a year. I still think it is great and a nice ride. I also own a Seven Axiom-Ti and that is also a nice ride, but in a different way.

I agree with other posters, Serotta does not build a "bad" frame, but they all ride a little different. Even their "low end" frames are quality rides. If you take a test drive/ride and like the way the Fierte' rides, then the only person that you have to convince that it is a bike for you is yourself. Others on this board and the bike shop can offer their opinions, but in the end the decision is yours.

As far as other frames to consider in additon to those that you mentioned, if the Fierte' does not work out, look at Anvil Bikeworks. Don can build you a nice custom from for about the same money as the Fierte'. I know Don and he builds outstanding frames and tooling for the bike industy.

Good luck with your test ride and let us know what you end up doing.

Doc

shinomaster
01-28-2004, 03:30 PM
just go test one. The idea of the Fierte is that its not custom. If it fits great , if not test another bike. It should ride very well like the other models but with a slightly less expensive tube set and with fewer color choices. You may be able to get a a lighter steel bike from a larger company, but it may not be as well constructed.

Ozz
01-28-2004, 03:39 PM
gabbard,

another point considering the Fierte is that the same guys that weld the Fierte together, are the same ones who build the CIII, Legend, Concours, Ottrott, etc....right here in the good ol' USA! The welds will be strong, the frame will be aligned, and you will have a high quality bike!

I'm not saying the other bikes you're considering are not well made, just that you can be confident the Fierte is!

Have fun choosing!

Tommasini53
03-02-2006, 06:14 PM
I've riden and raced a steel Fierte for a year now. I love it. Fits great. Rides great. I've had 5 colnagos, a Merckx and other very nice European frames. The Fierte is as good or better. So don't let the low price fool you. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Fixed
03-02-2006, 06:48 PM
bro I had one too i had one of the first ones the geo was a little different them I bought one size smaller so I could get the h.bars low enough used a long stem and a mt. bike seatpost weight 17 pounds with race wheels sweet cheers :beer:

Bud
03-02-2006, 07:17 PM
Gabbard-

I bought a steel '05 Fierte from Wheat Ridge last fall and have not regretted it a bit. I rode quite a few bikes when thinking about making the purchase. Some were more expensive and some were less. I found the Fierte to be the most comfortable, quick and responsive of all the bikes that I rode. It is certainly a top notch bike. When I started looking for a new ride, I didn't even have Serotta on the radar because I assumed all of their products were out of my league. Not so- with the Fierte I got a much better machine than a few others which cost as much if not more. The feel of this frame is amazing.

Oh and mine does have a Kestrel fork- EMS Pro OS. It does a nice job taking out some of the road buzz and seems to be stiff enough.

Ride a lot of bikes when you go to Wheat Ridge. Talk to the folks there and let them know what you think. They won't steer you wrong. If you decide to go with the Fierte, you won't regret it. Good luck making your decision.

93legendti
03-02-2006, 07:42 PM
...I love it. Fits great. Rides great...So don't let the low price fool you. :banana: :banana: :banana:
I agree. Mine is very nice.

shoe
03-02-2006, 09:01 PM
i have a fierte steel..no less .. and find it to be a nice ride. has a nice smooth feel on the road. haven't ridden other serottas to compare it to but it is a good rider....dave

Tailwinds
03-02-2006, 11:41 PM
I met someone today who was riding a Fierte steel (in the very cool Arancio orange color, by the way) -- had nothing but GREAT things to say about the bike.

If Wheat Ridge doesn't have the right size or you want to try some other Serottas, check out Bike Source in Highlands Ranch. They had a decent selection last time I was there.

davids
03-03-2006, 06:26 AM
I can't comment on the steel Fierte from direct experience, but I was very, very impressed with the Fierte Ti. As I was shopping for my last bike, my two favorites were the Fierte Ti and the Nove. The two bikes have different characters, but the same inherent quality. I'd be surprised if the same wasn't true of the steel Fierte!

I'd take it over anything else in that price range!

Skrawny
03-03-2006, 08:42 AM
I do not have experience with the steel, but I tested, and almost bought, a Fierte Ti. I ended up getting my Legend because it was a deal I couldn't pass up. After all the test rides of the Fierte I am sure I would have been happy with it. I have a friend with a Fierte Ti & she is very happy with it & there are many Fiertes in this area. There is a reason it is one of the most popular bikes they make and they have expanded the product line...
-s

Ken Robb
03-03-2006, 12:55 PM
I rode the 58cm Fierte in the demo fleet right after the 60cm Ottrot. There were differences between them but also a great similarity which pointed out to me what a bargain the fierte is. I'm so dumb I thought it was a ti Fierte while I was riding it because I was fooled by the orange/silver paint job.

I own a Legend and a CSI and all four of these bikes have more similarities than differences when it comes to ride quality.

Steevo
03-03-2006, 01:10 PM
I have a 2003 steel Fierte, using it for training, group rides and fun rides. I'm not a racer. The bike is light, it feels perfectly balanced between optimal stiffness and comfort. The ride quality is outstanding. It climbs great, descents are fast and stable. It tracks like its on those famous rails and corners tight and low, just the way you'd want it to. In all, the bike is an excellent performer. It was the best riding bike that I tested in the price range.

I'm also not a fan of the aesthetics of compact geo, but with shorter legs, I do appreciate the added clearance. After my test ride, it was easy to get past the look of compact geo, as the bike rode so well. As for the other aesthetics, the welds are clean, and the paint looks great. The Serotta quality and pedigree is evedent throughout the bike. In short, my experience with the Fierte has been super.

Loud_Hound
03-27-2006, 05:33 PM
I'm new to the forum, and it's been a while since I've seriously biked. But the time is now. I'm a 5-foot woman and have always had to modify the smallest men's bikes or get youth bikes. But I've stars in my eyes for the Fierte. I am scheduling a professional fit in Springfield, Mo. soon. I'll then look at either a stock frame if it fits, or consider a custom. I'm not made out of money, but I don't plan on collecting bicycles either so I want this one to serve my purpose for a long while. Thoughts on this bike, shifters, gear ratios, h.bars or other likes/dislikes that will hopefully make this bike (or perhaps another if you've a suggestion) my "magic carpet." Thanks for your guidance and patience.

Sheldon4209
03-27-2006, 07:22 PM
I have an 04 steel Fierte. I am pleased with the handling, the paint, the welds and the frame seems to be perfect. I bought the Fierte because I liked the 8 cm of bottom bracket drop, the long head tube, and the longer chain stays.

I also like the compact geometry, it is close to my last two tandems and I have grown to like the looks of the sloping top tube. Although the Fierte is not custom, Serotta has a nice selection of sizes. For example, it is one of the few frames with a short top tube option that would fit my wife.

Sheldon

BeeTL
03-27-2006, 07:52 PM
Two weeks ago I bought a 2005 50 cm Fierte in Arancio with Ultegra 10 and Shimano 550 wheels. I've already been on 4 30+ mile group rides with it, and I couldn't be happier!

As a side note, I much prefer the looks of steel seat stays on the '05 Fierte. I'm not at all fond of the carbon stays on the '06's.

:banana:

Gotta love the dancing banana...

Ken Robb
03-27-2006, 09:13 PM
nice bike--check the archives here for loads of info and opinions/

Lincoln
03-28-2006, 02:17 AM
nice bike--check the archives here for loads of info and opinions/

Unless I'm mistaken, THIS IS the archives! (The thread was started in 2004! Whatever he bought I hope he likes it.)

Loud_Hound
03-29-2006, 06:32 PM
Thanks for all of the words from the bike masters regarding my hesitation about spending the bucks for a Fierte. I'm getting even more excited to get my fit and my new bike. I'm still taking suggestions on the most efficient/comfortable types of gears/shifters, tires, seat/h.bar styles ... I don't know enough to have preferences yet, and I'd appreciate any tips, thoughts or explanations about the equipment. Certainly, I'll keep reading, asking and riding. Thanks again, all, for the help. :beer:

mwos
03-30-2006, 05:34 PM
Loud_Hound,

Welcome to the forum and as one of the small riders on the forum I can answer some of your questions. Hopefully, your fitter will have experience with small riders but don't count on it.

I'm 5'1" and have been riding for 25 years so I know how hard it is to find the right fit when it comes to bicycles. When I lived in Cincinnati I used to search the products and then go to my LBS, tell them what I wanted to try and they would do it for me.

Here in Denver the shops are more experienced with small riders and its easier to find what I want.

I'm also in the process of building a custom frame so I'm going through much of what you are.

Do a search on "handlebars for small hands". This was my thread and lots of good recommendations. Also, if you have really small hands, imho, Campy brifters work a lot better, but reach to the brakes is still a problem for me. Shimano makes a brifter with short levers but the hood feels very bulky to me. If you decide to go Campy, I assume you will need a 165 mm crankset, Specialities TA works very nicely with Campy. I'm planning on a compact crankset.

I rode the Fierte Ti and Steel. I like the ride of the Ti better but its what your expectations are and what you're used to riding. The fit was pretty good but not perfect.

If you go with a stock frame you may need a zero degree seatpost to get you over the pedals and you may need spacers to raise your handlebars, but those are things a good fitter should be able to spot.

For a nice light wheelset, I use American Classic Sprint 350's with Sapim spokes. They come in 650's and I've found the flat bladed spokes don't pull in the wind like the Mavic Open Pros do.

Hope this helps,

Kathi