PDA

View Full Version : TRP 950 SL brake calipers - opinions

guylimey
08-25-2010, 05:19 PM
What is your experience with and opinion of the TRP 950 SL brake caliper? I have checked around for some product reviews but am unable to find any. Appreciate any input as it will help me evaluate buying a pair as replacements for my ZG's. Thanks in advance for the valuable input.

dave thompson
08-25-2010, 05:39 PM
PEZ Cycling brief review here: http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=6303 I can't speak to them personally though I do have experience with the 955/960 models which worked extremely well for me, though the 28MM tires I run would barely clear them. No issue for someone that uses 23 or 25MM tires.

palincss
08-25-2010, 06:00 PM
What is your experience with and opinion of the TRP 950 SL brake caliper? I have checked around for some product reviews but am unable to find any. Appreciate any input as it will help me evaluate buying a pair as replacements for my ZG's. Thanks in advance for the valuable input.

Why do your ZGs need replacement? I my experience a brake set usually lasts as long as a frame, and is good for decades. You would think a brake set that costs so much more than ordinary brakes would last at least as long.

mandasol
08-26-2010, 11:18 AM
I have the 960's and the 920's (which is basically the 950 without the extra carbon layers). The quality and braking for both is up there with anything from Shimano/SRAM/Campy while being just as light or lighter. The 920's and the 950 have the cam release which is nice if you want (or need) to run your brakes open. This by itself makes me prefer the 920 (and 950) over the 960. Set up is a little easier with the 920 as well. I found the alloy nuts a little fragile on the 960 and replaced them with steel. Don't know what comes on the 950. The 960's are supposedly just a little lighter but I think that's due to the drilled out brake holders which you can buy separately anyway.