PDA

View Full Version : Newbie (and thus stupid) Cyclocross Question

Onno
08-25-2010, 09:36 AM
I've been thinking of trying my luck at cyclocross, soon or eventually, and have been watching videos of dismounting and mounting. I notice that everyone dismounts and mounts on the left, presumably to avoid the chainrings on the right side of the bike. Weirdly, in my entire cycling life (40+ years), I have NEVER dismounted or mounted my bike from the left. My father must have shown me mounting the bike from the right when he gave me my first bike, and that's what I've done ever since. When I've tried dismounting my road bike on the left (swinging the right leg back over the saddle, instead of my normal left), I feel insanely out of balance and weird--like trying to throw a ball with my left hand, or bat right, or golf right (yes, I'm dexterously screwed up). Honestly, I can barely walk my bike while on the left of my bike.

What should I do? Keep working on left-sided dismounting, mounting, or throw caution to the wind, and stick to the right? Are there other righties out there?

MattTuck
08-25-2010, 09:45 AM
I'll be the first to chime in, despite knowing nothing about 'cross.

I think the argument for avoiding chain rings is specious. I think the bigger concern (and thus motivation) for left sided dismount is that most people are righties, and you want to be picking your bike up with your dominant side.

false_Aest
08-25-2010, 09:59 AM
I once read a Q+A section in a skateboarding magazine where a kid said that he could only do a 180 frontside. He then said that no matter how hard he tried he couldn't get used to doing a 180 backside and that anything he tries to do backside was really awkward. His questions was simply, "Do I really need to learn to do trick backside."

The response was something like this, "If it was 1982 then you could get away with it but it's not. Practice until you get it right."

FWIW, you do and can impale your calf when you dismount driveside. Especially if you do something mega boneheaded and have your chain on the small chainring. I have scars to show it.

Also, a bunch of dudes I know run their brakes backward: left side controls rear brake. This way, they can continue to slow down while dismounting on the non-drive side and not endo.

The moral of the story is to practice doing it left side so you don't get mud, grease, twizlers and beer inbedded in your calf. And then to switch your brake levers.

(But what do I know. I only raced cross for a season and then I moved to SoCal where cross just seems . . . pointless)

Jawn P
08-25-2010, 11:13 AM
I'd practice dismounting on the non-drive side until you get it. One missed dismount and subsequent chaining impalement does not sound fun. Also I've never tried, but I'd assume you can't shoulder your bike from the drive side either.

That being said, there are times where a drive side dismount is beneficial, such as an offcamber section to a right turn uphill.

vqdriver
08-25-2010, 11:42 AM
can't you just put on a bashguard to protect your calf?
maybe it screams 'newbie' in the world of cross, but sometimes you just gotta be realistic. left hand/right hand bias is not easily overcome.

fiamme red
08-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Simple solution: set up the drivetrain on the left side. :banana:

Well, at least it would work for a single-speed set-up, probably not for multi-gear.

John M
08-25-2010, 03:00 PM
I'll be the first to chime in, despite knowing nothing about 'cross.

You should have stopped right there ;)

Since cross racing requires some carrying of the bike, the bike must usually be carried from the non-drive side to avoid interfering with the chainrings/drive train.

Try doing a steep run-up with chainrings digging into your back. Jawn P is correct though, sometimes a right side dismount might be needed depending on the course and "traffic".

mtb_frk
08-25-2010, 08:03 PM
I have seen pro`s do on it on either side. In our local race scene I know of one of the masters racers that does it on the right and seems to work out for him. I guess I rather do it on the right side than get messed up and go into the barriers while I am trying to bring my leg around.

Tim
08-26-2010, 06:20 AM
If you watch videos of the races from Europe, you'll see that the pros get off on either side and carry the bike on both sides as well. Me, I always get off on the left- but after seeing the Euro races last winter, I realize that there's more than one way to do this.

rugbysecondrow
08-26-2010, 06:32 AM
I think the left foot is the dominant foot for most (what is the natural foot you jump off when going for a lay up in basketball). For most righties, the left foot is dominant.

EastCoastRoadie
08-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Another advantage of getting off on the left side (especially as a beginner) is that it makes things a bit more predictable for those other C riders around you. These races tend to have thick packs, especially in the early laps, and a very wide range of bike handling skills. Turns, barriers, runups, etc. can all get dicey to say the least. You could blow someone's mind and start a massive pile by getting off on the right hand side.

Onno
08-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Another advantage of getting off on the left side (especially as a beginner) is that it makes things a bit more predictable for those other C riders around you. These races tend to have thick packs, especially in the early laps, and a very wide range of bike handling skills. Turns, barriers, runups, etc. can all get dicey to say the least. You could blow someone's mind and start a massive pile by getting off on the right hand side.

Wow. It's really THAT freaky to dismount on the right? I think I may want to try it....

BTW, does this technically make me a lefty? Can't really figure out why.

Dave B
08-26-2010, 12:57 PM
I say unless you are racing for money or awesome prizes do what feels natural. If you lose a second or two or gash your legs that only affects you. If you run into others, crash out others, or if the riders in your race send a mob after you then sure conform.

I think the chainrings comments are spot on, but again try new things or keep doing what you are doing and enjoying the suffering of the race. on and off are not HUGE parts of a cross race, only an added awesome ness that other folks don't have in theirs.

fogrider
08-28-2010, 10:35 PM
try dismounting on your left and push the bike infront of you and pick it up and carry it with your right side. see if you can mount from the left.