PDA

View Full Version : Question re mid-2000s shifters for the Campy experts

Lewym
08-24-2010, 05:36 PM
I know that 2006 Centaur was the last Centaur-level model of that generation before multiple cog shifts were eliminated (only to be restored and eliminated again in the great advance of technology).

Question: what was the difference between Centaur/Daytona and Chorus shifters of that era (mid-2000s). Assuming both alloy, I expect that there was a weight difference. Were there other functional differences with Chorus? Differences that were material?

Thanks for the info.

Mike748
08-24-2010, 06:11 PM
Others here know more than I but I'll take a stab... Chorus uses bearings on the main pivot, Centaur uses bushings. Chorus might have some anti-friction coated parts.

Dave
08-24-2010, 06:14 PM
The only difference with Chorus was ball bearings on the main pivot shaft rather than a bushing. The bearings can be replaced, assuming that they are a standard item (most are). The bushings would be nearly impossible to find. I can't even remember when the carbon brake levers began - that's an obvious difference.

The Campy website has the spare parts PDFs, dating back to the mid 90's. When in doubt, I look up the info.

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/doc/doccatid_3.jsp

oldpotatoe
08-25-2010, 08:28 AM
I know that 2006 Centaur was the last Centaur-level model of that generation before multiple cog shifts were eliminated (only to be restored and eliminated again in the great advance of technology).

Question: what was the difference between Centaur/Daytona and Chorus shifters of that era (mid-2000s). Assuming both alloy, I expect that there was a weight difference. Were there other functional differences with Chorus? Differences that were material?

Thanks for the info.

Body was 'carbon' rather than plastic resin and teeny cart bearings for the center bolt rather than a brass bushing. Thru bolt for brass bushing different than the one for ball bearings. EC-VL-036 vs EC-RE-435. Shift disc, spring carrier, everything else identical. Record has some treated stuff, drilled shift disc, fiber spring carrier when it went to 'Ultra.

Carbon levers in 1999, 10s in 2000...