PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of Big Shot Bikes?

Bruce K
08-24-2010, 02:06 PM
My son is looking for a fixie for use on campus and these seem pretty cheap and interesting.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

We might ultimately go the used/Craigslist/etc. route but I would almost prefer something new and cheap to hopefully avoid headaches.

BK

AngryScientist
08-24-2010, 02:18 PM
hi Bruce,

i've never heard of them, and i dont know how you'll feel about my suggestion, but i would take a look at the crop from bikes direct, for the $$ they aren't bad at all.

i needed something cheap and quick that i could ride to work and not worry about being locked up, and i ordered a clockwork, 280 at the time, shipped to my door. the frame and components are basic (and of course i've since upgraded the hell out of mine - but the stock stuff was just fine) and perfectly serviceable.

they are definitely worth a shot, good luck and keep us posted:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/images/clk_600.jpg

Bruce K
08-24-2010, 02:41 PM
Thanks. That is sort of the mind set for this. Cheap, lockable, and almost an "I don't care what happens to it" attitude.

The campus is much larger and more urban than where he used to go (you almost didn't have to lock a bike there) and we don't want to worry too much about this bike.

BK

AngryScientist
08-24-2010, 02:46 PM
well a BD bike probably fits the bill:

cheap
reliable
new
(they have pretty decent customer support too)

Bruce K
08-25-2010, 02:22 PM
We ended up purchasing an SE Draft brand new from Cambridge Cycles.

Under $300 and looks pretty bullet-proof. The 700X28 tires should be nice when cutting across campus.

BK.

AngryScientist
08-25-2010, 02:42 PM
cool, i'm sure its just as good as the others. what school will the young lad be attending?