PDA

View Full Version : Tubes and packing size

Dave B
08-24-2010, 06:05 AM
I searched as many ways as possible here so I didn't have to ask one of "those" questions.

Alas, it appears that I am going to. I have never and I mean never thought about the quality of an inner tube. Not once until someone mentioned latex and how they have different qualities on the bike both good and bad.
They may be worth looking into, but again I have never thought at all about tubes being important other then ease of repair.

However I have begun to think a little bit and get annoyed when I pick up one of those deals where you get loads of them for chepa money...yeah I know I see the blinding flash of the obvious there. low money often times means low quality.

so here is my issue. I cannot tell the quality of a tube any more then I can tell the difference between some of the group levels we go on about.

But what tube packs down the smallest? My biggest issue is cramming a new tube into a bike rool or H2O bottle as well as other stuff. Any one think about tubes and pick up or would be able to recommend a road tube that can pack away nicely? I know this isn't an issue, but I like to keep all of my stuff compact on a ride and this is becoming one of those annoying things.

I know lots of demands on a somewhat not important part, but any help will be appreciated.

AngryScientist
08-24-2010, 06:38 AM
my lbs carries maxxis tubes. i buy the "flyweight" variety for stuffing in my tiny seatback, i've been using them for years and no QC issues with them so far.

fwiw, they make a "welterweight" and standard weight tube as well. generally i'll buy the welterweights about 5 at a time and use them as my standard, they are slightly heavier and therefor a little bulkier than the flyweights, but not bad.

that said, most tube manufacturers will make a "race" butyl tube that will pack away pretty tight.

http://www.maxxis.com/Repository/Images/flyweight_road_tube.jpg

staggerwing
08-24-2010, 08:25 AM
I don't know about smallest packing size, but I have had, by far, the best luck with Michelin tubes. I just use the standard grade, 0.9mm Butyl rubber variety (I think AirStop is the package ID).

Most of my miles are on busy urban streets, and I'm willing to sacrifice a touch of weight, and perhaps road feel, for decent durability. I've had some weird QC related failures, like valves not properly bonded into the tube, on cheaper brands. The Michelins also have a smooth valve body, which works quite well with the pump heads that I'm using. As always, YMMV.

rnhood
08-24-2010, 05:19 PM
I carry the Bontrager Race-X-Lite tubes as they come wrapped in a sealed cellophane type wrapper making them extremely easy to carry - whether its in the seat bag or in the jersey back pocket. I have found these to be robust and suitably lightweight. The standard version is wrapped the same way.

AFS
08-24-2010, 10:18 PM
I also like the Bontrager Race X Lite tubes. Nice small box that fits nicely in my saddle bag. The Race XXX Lite tubes I tired weren't very durable; the seams tore open.

John M
08-25-2010, 03:05 PM
that said, most tube manufacturers will make a "race" butyl tube that will pack away pretty tight.

+1--this is my solution to low-bulk tubes for the saddle bag. Experience leads me to pack two on my urban commute.