PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Service

jeo99
08-23-2010, 06:13 PM
Last year I had a problem with an extremely pitted downtube on a Serotta lugged frame. I approached Serotta to fix/replace the downtube. Their response was to refer me to Kelly Bedford as they no longer repair lugged frames. Now I know Kelly is one of the best in the business (previous Serotta employee)and I would love to own one of his frames, but does anyone out there see this as a concern? Is tigged steel next or maybe Ti? Just the evolution of business? Thoughts?

BTW, I own over 20 Serotta's. Half are lugged steel. I love this company.

:confused:

Pete Serotta
08-23-2010, 06:25 PM
They are all in the market place but companies look at their sales and the resources they have to make frames with, as well as what subset of the industry they want to be in AND then they develop a business plan. I do not see steel tig frames pushing lugged frames out of the market but the market for both is only so big and not growing (in my opinion)

There are some wonderful builders out there that make all of these type frames. Some general statements are below:

- Over half of all Carbon Frames sold in the US are made outside the US
- Serotta only uses their own USA made carbon
- Ti is still used but customers have a lust for carbon so companies focus
on what the customer wants, Moots, Spectrum, ERicksen, Serotta Strong
are great rides for ti.

- ALuminum is used a little. I have never cared for the ride but they are
inexpensive and Cannondale has built some nice ones
- Ti/Carbon like the Ottrott and some other brands are very nice
- Companies like IF and Serotta make a fine frame with any of these but ALu.

THink about the one that puts the biggest smile on your face and you like the ride of.

jeo99
08-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Pete,
I understand what you are saying and cannot disagree. However, I think customer loyalty plays a part and too many times business gets in the way. Afterall, I am not taking my Chevrolet to a Toyota dealer just because the best mechanic the dealer had is now working at Toyota.

:beer:

Pete Serotta
08-23-2010, 06:57 PM
If there is something an existing Serotta Customer wants and has not been able to make it happen via their dealer - - Please let me know and I will get with Ben, Stan, Steve, and whoever I can to try and make it happen!! That is customer service and Stan strives to make it the highest priority!

PETE

jeo99
08-23-2010, 07:03 PM
Pete,
Thanks, but I found a local frame builder to perform the repair. However, as I do own several of the best lugged steel frames ever made it would be comforting to know Serotta will stand behind servicing Serotta lugged frames.

Pete Serotta
08-23-2010, 07:34 PM
:beer: We will work it out.. Pete

93legendti
08-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Pete,
Thanks, but I found a local frame builder to perform the repair. However, as I do own several of the best lugged steel frames ever made it would be comforting to know Serotta will stand behind servicing Serotta lugged frames.

Scott Quirring?

BumbleBeeDave
08-23-2010, 09:12 PM
Pete,

Serotta IS servicing this steel lugged frame--by referring you to the guy who may well have built it originally and who has more expertise in lugged steel than anybody--and I mean ANYBODY--Serotta could find to hire and retain. Kelly is THE BEST. Period.

Serotta is not a large company. The employees they have need to spend the maximum amount of their work time on projects that will turn a profit for the company. That work is NOT building or repairing lugged steel frames.

Expecting Serotta to expend extensive effort on retaining the capability to repair lugged steel is akin to expecting GM to have fully paid employees hang around just in case somebody's 1956 Belair needs a new bumper or expecting Apple to keep a whole warehouse full of Apple II parts on hand just in case somebody might need one. It's just not realistic.

Call Kelly and make arrangements with him and I guarantee you will NOT be disappointed!

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
08-23-2010, 09:13 PM
I've just gotten so damn self-righteous since I passed eleven million posts! :rolleyes:

BBD

jeo99
08-24-2010, 11:10 AM
I've just gotten so damn self-righteous since I passed eleven million posts! :rolleyes:

BBD

Yes you have.

Adam,
Matt Assenmacher fixed the frame.

93legendti
08-24-2010, 11:20 AM
Yes you have.

Adam,
Matt Assenmacher fixed the frame.

Thanks-I forgot about him

Tom
08-24-2010, 02:23 PM
I don't often agree with BBDave, but when I do it's because he's right.

jeo99
08-24-2010, 05:29 PM
BBD,
I do agree with some of your points. Serotta is a small company. However, that is the very reason that they should retain this type of service. A small company relies on repeat business and word of mouth referrals. Not mass production and hope someone buys. I have personally been responsible for many Serotta sales here in S.E. Michigan without owning a bicycle shop. They have or can get the tubing per Kelly. They should retain someone with the skills. Based on some "Business Model" with new technology all their present skills will be obsolete sooner or later.

IMO

BTW, this is a good discussion on business philosophy!

oldpotatoe
08-25-2010, 08:44 AM
[QUOTE=Serotta_Pete]They are all in the market place but companies look at their sales and the resources they have to make frames with, as well as what subset of the industry they want to be in AND then they develop a business plan. I do not see steel tig frames pushing lugged frames out of the market but the market for both is only so big and not growing (in my opinion)

Altho a small shop and anecdotal only, our sales of tig welded, custom steel is better than ever(Waterford). On the other hand, in 10 years I have sold 2 lugged steel frames(also Waterford) to about 400 tigged Waterfords. With all steel tubing makers making 'air hardened' tubes, there is no reason other than asthetics to make a lugged frame. In addition, titanium for us(Moots) is doing spectacularly well this year also. Can't swing a dead cyclist w/o hitting another plastic bike around here. The market is awash with carbon and the carbon frames sold in the US are about 95% made in Asia, way above 50% as was mentioned. So, I decide to do what 'they' don't. I sell metal frames, sell them quite well. I think Ben has on many occasions felt the need to do the 'latest' thing somebody else started. maybe a wee bit differently but also the same. Like rear suspension road frames(Moots), carbon/ti blend bikes(Seven), carbon rear end bikes(even on steel??) and now carbon, carbon everywhere. I think there is room in the market for what Ben first did to make a name for himself, well made steel and titanium altho he seems to be moving away from this.

I think there is room for improvement when it comes to taking care of Ben's 'other' customer..the retailer, the dealer.

Pete Serotta
08-25-2010, 09:01 AM
I agree there is always room for change and improvements. :beer: PETE

Thanks for the insight.

Ken Robb
08-25-2010, 09:31 AM
I still remember Ben saying "It's the tubes, dammit". So I wonder: does Serotta still get Colorado Concept tubes and will they supply them to Kelly or other qualified craftsmen to repair Serotta frames?

Pete Serotta
08-25-2010, 09:56 AM
Ken, yes....I know that Kelly still can get them. (as I would think that David Kirk and Dave Ellis could)

jeo99
08-25-2010, 09:49 PM
oldpotatoe,
Well stated! Although you are only a tad older than myself.