PDA

View Full Version : Behind the scenes at SEROTTA - Why we are better!!

Pete Serotta
08-23-2010, 05:28 PM
Yes I have always been biased, but PARAIC has really done an excellent job of describing what makes Serotta different!!!

http://serotta.com/2010/8/36/Behind+the+Scenes+at+the+Serotta+Factory.html

All this, and more that is not discussed in the 8 minutes here, really is what drives home my passion, as well as that passion that many on the forum have.

PETE

Avispa
08-23-2010, 06:15 PM
I do agree... One of the many reasons I am still so loyal to the brand... However, Serotta must upgrade the looks of some its bikes and drop some bikes from its line!

Although Serottas are great bikes, if not the best in the world, they have fallen behind in terms of style and looks!

For instance, take a look a large (58+ cm frame from the company) and see how it looks compared to other brands out there.

..A..

Larry
08-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Hey guys....... What about the great steel bikes in the line-up??
No mention.

But what a great presentation!! It lets the consumer know what precision and detail goes into building a frame.

Pete Serotta
08-26-2010, 06:51 AM
I think so highly of them that my SON in LAW received one for his PHD graduation. :)

oldpotatoe
08-26-2010, 08:00 AM
I do agree... One of the many reasons I am still so loyal to the brand... However, Serotta must upgrade the looks of some its bikes and drop some bikes from its line!

Although Serottas are great bikes, if not the best in the world, they have fallen behind in terms of style and looks!

For instance, take a look a large (58+ cm frame from the company) and see how it looks compared to other brands out there.

..A..

And I think Ben should take better care of his retailers, the first 'customer' in line before the ultimate consumer.

Pete Serotta
08-26-2010, 06:13 PM
And I think Ben should take better care of his retailers, the first 'customer' in line before the ultimate consumer.

and we will address the concerns,,, THANKS Pete

Larry
08-26-2010, 08:07 PM
I think so highly of them that my SON in LAW received one for his PHD graduation. :)
Oh man!!! What a great graduation present!!!

rugbysecondrow
08-26-2010, 08:09 PM
How many other daughters do you have?

Pete Serotta
08-26-2010, 08:43 PM
How many other daughters do you have?
:) 28 and real independent

Pete

bobswire
08-26-2010, 08:49 PM
I purchased 2007 C-CDA from another forum member and wondered on the process by which it was made. I have a copy of the original spec sheet and know the builder was K.B.
Would a frame built by an outside builder like K.B. go through a different
process than one built in house like those in the video? Just curious.

BTW the Serotta CDA I have is a fine crafted machine while the ride has surpassed my most ardent fantasies. :^)

Brian Smith
08-26-2010, 10:36 PM
I purchased 2007 C-CDA from another forum member and wondered on the process by which it was made. I have a copy of the original spec sheet and know the builder was K.B.
Would a frame built by an outside builder like K.B. go through a different
process than one built in house like those in the video? Just curious.

BTW the Serotta CDA I have is a fine crafted machine while the ride has surpassed my most ardent fantasies. :^)

In 2007, Kelly Bedford would have been working at Serotta. If your frame specifications sheet, what we internally call a "draft," though no drawing is made, lists Kelly Bedford next to the "Drafted by:" column, that would mean that Kelly translated the dealer's fit information into a frame design and material component selection to satisfy your need. The actual frame construction would have been handled by the production staff at Serotta, and probably not Kelly, who at the time was not an outside builder, but an internal employee "drafting" frames. At that point, there was no frame being built outside of the Saratoga Springs Serotta facility that was sold as a Serotta. The processes would have been, for that model, very similar to those shown in the video.

bobswire
08-27-2010, 07:08 AM
In 2007, Kelly Bedford would have been working at Serotta. If your frame specifications sheet, what we internally call a "draft," though no drawing is made, lists Kelly Bedford next to the "Drafted by:" column, that would mean that Kelly translated the dealer's fit information into a frame design and material component selection to satisfy your need. The actual frame construction would have been handled by the production staff at Serotta, and probably not Kelly, who at the time was not an outside builder, but an internal employee "drafting" frames. At that point, there was no frame being built outside of the Saratoga Springs Serotta facility that was sold as a Serotta. The processes would have been, for that model, very similar to those shown in the video.

Thank you Brian. I appreciate the information and correction. I had wondered if drafted was the same as builder.
The original owner stated K.B. worked the geo of this frame much like the geo of a stock Colnago C50,hence my confusion.

oldpotatoe
08-27-2010, 07:52 AM
and we will address the concerns,,, THANKS Pete

Do you know what concerns I am referring to?

Larry
08-29-2010, 11:09 AM
It seems to me that losing 5 pounds off my a.. would make a bigger difference
than losing 2 ponds off my bike. Plus the heavier bike would be safer and more stable.

djg
08-29-2010, 12:10 PM

You must think pretty highly of your son-in-law as well.

Pete Serotta
08-29-2010, 02:44 PM
You must think pretty highly of your son-in-law as well.

He is a very good person with a big heart. Hard worker and now the father of my grandson..... :)

Pete Serotta
08-29-2010, 02:47 PM
Do you know what concerns I am referring to?

Customer service is key to business. The concerns I mentioned were any or all. Either going to Stan or feel free to send me a note or posting and I will go to let Stan, Steve, Ben, or whomever know and if they want I will even work on resolving concerns,

Hope the weekend went well......

PETE

rdparadise
09-02-2010, 03:37 PM

Hopefully, he holds the same passion as you for cycling? Maybe now that he's obtained his PhD, he'll be able to actually enjoy it.

Regards,

Bob

oldpotatoe
09-03-2010, 07:34 AM
Customer service is key to business. The concerns I mentioned were any or all. Either going to Stan or feel free to send me a note or posting and I will go to let Stan, Steve, Ben, or whomever know and if they want I will even work on resolving concerns,

Hope the weekend went well......

PETE

Old news, the issue occured in 2005, how I was treated as a potential dealer...old news but it still makes me angry.

Pete Serotta
09-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Old news, the issue occured in 2005, how I was treated as a potential dealer...old news but it still makes me angry.

IT will not happen again!!! PETE

oldpotatoe
09-04-2010, 07:51 AM
IT will not happen again!!! PETE

I can guarantee that.

Pete Serotta
09-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the note and it was not understandable even at that time. PETE

whforrest
09-11-2010, 09:39 AM
Thanks for sharing the video. I enjoyed watching it.

I will alway own a serotta. An earlier post recommended updating some if the looks of frames. I do agree to some extent. I am no longer a flavor of the month consumer, I've become more traditional.

I think there is a middle road here. That new $8,000 plus carbon machine is brilliant. But the ford themed look doesn't do it justice. The color options for it are limited.

Serotta is no doubt best of breed in manufacturing and material use, and fitting. But it needs to penetrate via marketing a newer look.

Is there a way to bring the latest meivici carbon design prices back to earth?

I say thus with much respect. I now live in el dorado hills near Sacramento and I can't find a serotta dealer anywhere. How are we going to show the high end consumer what we can do without more shops? I'm sick and tired of trek and specialized shops.

Makes me puke.

Hmmmmm, giro, Oakley, pearl izumi, trek, etc. The same brands, steve at Livermore bikes sold me on serotta years ago, now u can't find a serotta anywhere in his stores.

Ramblin thoughts, bill

Pete Serotta
09-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Ramblin is good...

The HSG is a wonderful ride also in all carbon . IF you get to RALEIGH and ride a 57 - - I have one for you to try. If YOU get to NY (even SARATOGA) NYC (SIGNATURE CYCLE,) NORTH JERSEY (CYCLESPORT) OR the S/F area should have access to some also.. IF LA and can ride a 56.... TOM BRYNES has a beautiful one that he will more than likely take you out on also. :) :)

TBDSeattle
09-15-2010, 05:50 PM
I have always wanted to see the inside of the Serotta factory. This was as close as I am going to get from Seattle!

Best- TBD

bicyclego
09-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Impressive. I own a Serotta (though I've yet to ride it) and it makes me wish I could get another.

Mattbotak
09-22-2010, 09:46 PM
that is a great video. as a designer and engineer that is dream place to work.

oldguy00
09-23-2010, 08:03 AM
That was a great video.
I've always wanted to own a Legend Ti. If only Serotta had a long payment plan....(or if only I were wealthy!) :(

Pete Serotta
09-23-2010, 10:52 AM
That was a great video.
I've always wanted to own a Legend Ti. If only Serotta had a long payment plan....(or if only I were wealthy!) :(

Get your size dialed in. The used ti market is soft these days, I think because Carbon is the in word!!.

I love the TIs from many mft. There are some wonderful used prices that come across.

PEte

oldguy00
09-25-2010, 05:21 PM
Sure, let me know when a sloping/semi-sloping frame with a 74 or 74.5 SA, eff. TT of 55, and HT around 13.5, shows up! :beer: :beer:

Pete Serotta
09-26-2010, 10:08 AM
Sure, let me know when a sloping/semi-sloping frame with a 74 or 74.5 SA, eff. TT of 55, and HT around 13.5, shows up! :beer: :beer:

This might help since the season in closing for some folks and they might be willing to let it go.... That is a steep SA from what I have seen though.

OR come down to SARATOGA and view the plant and order a personal new one :)

PETE

oldguy00
09-26-2010, 05:43 PM

OR come down to SARATOGA and view the plant and order a personal new one :)

PETE

When I get the go ahead to drop $5000+ on a frame, you guys will be the first to know!!! :beer:

Pete Serotta
09-26-2010, 05:49 PM
When I get the go ahead to drop $5000+ on a frame, you guys will be the first to know!!! :beer:

I hope to come up from NC and meet you...PETE

You can do down there jsut for a visit...you do not have to place order at that time