PDA

View Full Version : Best Prices Online Besides Ebay

Dosebase02
08-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Hello all,

I would like to see your feedback on the best places to buy biking stuff such as components, apparel, frames/forks etc..and what your experience was with them. I know ebay is an option but there are always better places than ebay.

Thanks! And I love this Serotta Forum community!

Trent

Pete Serotta
08-23-2010, 04:53 PM
they are not the cheapest but they have things in stock and the customer service is good. There are many other great LBS and WEB companies. Many of them will easy match the price of such places as Colorado Cyclist and many other ones. Supporting your local dealer has many advantages.

If the LBS supplies excellent service and broad selection than they are very hard to beat long term. Most of them take very good care of repeat customers and offer specials at times.

It is really difficult for them to beat EBAY and non USA firms. But since I am older than dirt I can tell you that the old saying "If it sounds too good to be true it probably is not true for all folks!!" is true more times than I prefer.

The items you mention, especially clothing, can very in fit by company, model, and even year.

Idris Icabod
08-23-2010, 05:17 PM
I've found that if you want the best deal every time on every piece there is no one stop place to do that, you can google each part and pick the best price and take your chances. I do that most of the time but I also do search for feedback on that shop if I've never done business there before and if it has a dubious reputation then I avoid and pay a little extra. I reckon you can't go wrong with a place like Excel: decent prices, good shipping, good website and great customer support.

I will say that I struck up a friendship with a LBS (well about 100 miles from home) but if I need a decent sized piece (frame or wheels that make the drive worth my while) then I find he can beat most prices I can find on line.

Pete Serotta
08-23-2010, 05:34 PM
I've found that if you want the best deal every time on every piece there is no one stop place to do that, you can google each part and pick the best price and take your chances. I do that most of the time but I also do search for feedback on that shop if I've never done business there before and if it has a dubious reputation then I avoid and pay a little extra. I reckon you can't go wrong with a place like Excel: decent prices, good shipping, good website and great customer support.

I will say that I struck up a friendship with a LBS (well about 100 miles from home) but if I need a decent sized piece (frame or wheels that make the drive worth my while) then I find he can beat most prices I can find on line.
:banana: :banana:

fogrider
08-24-2010, 02:02 AM
are you looking for new or used stuff? try these:
qbike.com
craigslist.org/bik
roadbikereview.com

oldguy00
08-24-2010, 04:22 AM
probikekit.com

jlwdm
08-24-2010, 07:30 AM
Search here for PBK to find names of other sites also.

Go to RBR Hot Deals for more info.

LBS often good also.

Jeffs

oldpotatoe
08-24-2010, 08:01 AM
Hello all,

I would like to see your feedback on the best places to buy biking stuff such as components, apparel, frames/forks etc..and what your experience was with them. I know ebay is an option but there are always better places than ebay.

Thanks! And I love this Serotta Forum community!

Trent

BEST place? As in look somebody in the eye and ask for something and get it handed to you? Well, the local bike shop, of course. 'May' be cheapest or close, but best by far-

-local bike shop owner-

Charles M
08-24-2010, 08:20 AM
There's a difference between the best place to buy and the lowest prices on the internet...

I grab things from Fairwheel bikes.

Always in stock (hope i didng jinx that)
Always genuinely know what they're talking about (from high end to low end and re compatibility)
Always ships on time
Always arrives on time
Never damaged
Never recieve product in bad condition
Never any problems getting install tips
Never any issues when a part fails (but for you BS'ers, they know their stuff and you're not getting a part past them that you broke/crashed/ruined)

And the prices are fair... Maybe not the lowest, but I get so tired of the bitching and moaning people do in forums about getting "screwed" on Ebay or on any other supercheap internet deal.

Yes in a perfect world all women would look like Piper Parabo, cook like Bobby Flay, earn like Oprah, think like Einstein and be as comfortable around regular folks as Daisy Duke....

Complaining about bad cheap internet deals is like complaining that you didnt take the above mentioned woman home and keep her there (without fasteners and drugs) after a first date dinner from the McDonalds dollar menu...

rice rocket
08-25-2010, 12:00 PM
I too have struck up a "friendship" of sorts with a local bike shop. He charges me below what prices are on eBay/online retailers, and almost nothing for labor.

Then again, I don't think I'm unique in that sense. There are so many repeat customers at the shop, I think he just treats everyone well. I've never seen so many people so quick to drop anywhere from $200 to $5000.

SoCalSteve
08-25-2010, 12:06 PM
There's a difference between the best place to buy and the lowest prices on the internet...

Always genuinely know what they're talking about (from high end to low end and re compatibility)
Always ships on time
Always arrives on time
Never damaged
Never any issues when a part fails (but for you BS'ers, they know their stuff and you're not getting a part past them that you broke/crashed/ruined)

And the prices are fair... Maybe not the lowest, but I get so tired of the bitching and moaning people do in forums about getting "screwed" on Ebay or on any other supercheap internet deal.

Yes in a perfect world all women would look like Piper Parabo, cook like Bobby Flay, earn like Oprah, think like Einstein and be as comfortable around regular folks as Daisy Duke....

Complaining about bad cheap internet deals is like complaining that you didnt take the above mentioned woman home and keep her there (without fasteners and drugs) after a first date dinner from the McDonalds dollar menu...

"Partial" Post of the Day!

Good job...

Dosebase02
08-25-2010, 12:15 PM
I go to my LBS for pretty much everything because they hook me up with 30% off everything including components but sometimes they can't go lower on stuff just because when it comes to parts, that's not where they make all of the money. I like eBay..but it's eBay you know? I'd prefer to support my LBS..

vqdriver
08-25-2010, 12:17 PM
good stuff. but hold on..... when did piper parabo become the benchmark????

Always ships on time
Always arrives on time
Never damaged

jlwdm
08-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Piper Perabo is obviously not the benchmark because her name has been misspelled in two posts.

Jeff

jlwdm
08-25-2010, 12:34 PM
I get great prices at the LBS in AZ, extra great service in the Seattle area and good prices and excellent repair costs in TX. All from shops I like to do business with.

The TX labor costs are too low - they make me become lazy. Bring your own parts and $2 to change out Campagnolo pads and $3 for chain; as examples.

Jeff

rice rocket
08-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Piper Perabo is obviously not the benchmark because her name has been misspelled in two posts.

Jeff

Lack of spelling ability doesn't mean lack of lust.

Trailer parks get internet too. ;)