PDA

View Full Version : MTB Cables

slowandsteady
08-23-2010, 08:49 AM
I need a new set of brake/gear cables for my MTB.

I have not bought any in many many years...looking for recommendations.

Thanks in advance,
-Matt-

chuckred
08-23-2010, 09:22 AM

xjoex
08-23-2010, 09:22 AM
The best you can get is sram / avid flak jacket. I have it on my cx and mtb bikes. It will last so much longer and run smoother than anything else. I really like the stuff.
Joe

Ralph
08-23-2010, 12:44 PM
First....I would check to see if you can use just any cables and wires. What sizes do your shifters require?

But if you have Shimano parts, why not get a set of Shimano cables for your bike? E Bay, mail order, or your LBS if you need help. etc.

oldpotatoe
08-24-2010, 08:16 AM
I need a new set of brake/gear cables for my MTB.

I have not bought any in many many years...looking for recommendations.

Thanks in advance,
-Matt-

Trundle on down to the Local bike shop and ask them..it's what they do.

slowandsteady
08-24-2010, 08:22 AM
Trundle on down to the Local bike shop and ask them..it's what they do.

Agreed but unfortunately most shops push (recommend) what they sell not necessarily the best product or exactly what you need...

On the Forum I can get MANY recommendations and honest opinions about a whole array of different equipment (cables in this case) and not simply the one or two cables they stock.

I give my LBS plenty of business.

Dave B
08-24-2010, 08:51 AM
I tired the Gore stuff and I don't care what folks say it shifts smoother. Not sure it is worth the cost, but it is notcible and the set up is not much more involved. I have it on a mtb and cross bike and it is good stuff.

I also have never had issues with shimano stuff. BUT, the Gore is just awesome.

ols
08-24-2010, 08:58 AM
I would also highly recommend Gore Ride On Sealed Low Friction cables as another option for you to consider. They are much easier to install than Flak Jackets, imho, at least they were for me. They have a double sleeve system that fully shields the cable all the way from the shifters to the derailleurs (same for brakes) and they fit through your cable stops without any modifications. FWIW, they come in regular and extra long, and depending on the size of your bike, you might need the extra longs (I did for an XL size Nine Rip9). Hope that helps.

BryanE
08-24-2010, 10:24 AM
Ditto on the Gore.
Expensive but worth it.
Bry

Kane
08-24-2010, 10:27 AM
The best cables are new cables and if you change your cables annually you will always have the best. Quality of QBC makes a fine generic cable as does Shimano.
Cheers.

oldpotatoe
08-24-2010, 11:13 AM
Agreed but unfortunately most shops push (recommend) what they sell not necessarily the best product or exactly what you need...

On the Forum I can get MANY recommendations and honest opinions about a whole array of different equipment (cables in this case) and not simply the one or two cables they stock.

I give my LBS plenty of business.

A decent bike shop 'pushes' what they use for repair. If it's crappy stuff, it's crappy repairs that result in crappy shifting and braking. From this bike shop owner-Jagwire with Jagwire lined housing. Not expensive, works well and consistently. I agree with others, Gore is expensive but not worth it, IMO.

cincicycles
08-24-2010, 11:38 AM
Jagwire Ripcords are fantastic cables, and fairly cheap...plus you can select different housing colors to trick out the bike.

gdw
08-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Avoid the 4mm drivetrain housing with plastic ferrules for offroad use especially with full suspension frames.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=49554&highlight=4mm+cable+housing

oldpotatoe
08-25-2010, 08:33 AM
Avoid the 4mm drivetrain housing with plastic ferrules for offroad use especially with full suspension frames.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=49554&highlight=4mm+cable+housing

For road bike systems as well.

avalonracing
08-25-2010, 08:42 AM
The best cables are new cables and if you change your cables annually you will always have the best.

Agreed.
Likewise the regular maintenance will also keep you honest about checking/cleaning/replacing other things that need it too.