PDA

View Full Version : Disc brake tease

RichMc
04-13-2005, 11:59 AM
What is this on the upper right hand corner of the Serotta home page? Looks all the world like a mounting for a disc brake caliper on the left rear triangle of a road bike. No! No! No! -- not a new toy, new tech thingie to have to dream about and lust after again. I have too much to think about all ready. Is it true?

Bruce K
04-13-2005, 12:04 PM
Rich;

Down boy. To make it easier on your psyche let's just use Okham's Razor and say that it is either a picture of the rear drops for a Serotta MTB, which they allegedly still make on request or it is an option available on their cross frames.

Maybe it's just to show how innovative Serotta can be.

In any event, maintain your mellow and keep telling yourself "It's not fro road, it's not for road."

BK

OldDog
04-13-2005, 12:59 PM
Maybe a mounting for a Ti Tandem Recumbent? Maybe a 'Bentrott? Or a 'Crossrott. Or a Ti Tandem CrossBentrott? The possabilities....

Richard
04-13-2005, 01:10 PM
Based on the location of the rear derailleur stop it is either MTB or Cross.

Bruce K
04-13-2005, 01:51 PM
time to spill the beans! :D

I am assuming if that is an MTB a disc brake cross bike is also possible.

It is time to share with those of us in this private little community. We swear to keep the secret until the appropriate time. Noone will know that you told us.

We promise. :banana: :banana:

BK

Serotta_James
04-13-2005, 02:31 PM
There will be two new Serotta mountain bike prototypes there this weekend.
They are hot... that is all I can say right now. Stay tuned for more details.

M_A_Martin
04-13-2005, 02:41 PM
So your saying that perhaps once again there might be a Serotta in my future?

Bruce K
04-13-2005, 02:42 PM
But you didn't answer the more important question. :confused:

Does this mean that you guys will offer disc brake tabs on cross frames? (begging and pleading to follow) :rolleyes:

Inquiring minds want to know. :banana:

BK

M_A_Martin
04-13-2005, 02:52 PM
Ah Bruce...

MTB season first (testing?), cross season second.

Get in line.

:fight:

flydhest
04-13-2005, 03:15 PM
hmmm, say "disc tease" five times fast.

Serotta_James
04-13-2005, 03:22 PM
We have been able to build a disc compatible cross bike for a while now, although I wouldn't go so far as to say we offered it. It isn't a feature that is really that highly in demand. Even our sponsored pros don't want that option on their cross bikes.
Speaking of which, there will be a new Sierra Nevada Kodak Cross bike at Sea Otter as well.

Bruce K
04-14-2005, 07:59 AM
James;

The reason the pros don't want it is that it is not yet legal for UCI races.

BK

SGP
04-14-2005, 01:44 PM
is it a dirttrot?

Serotta_James
04-14-2005, 03:26 PM
Point taken.

dirtdigger88
04-14-2005, 03:30 PM
is it a dirttrot?

do I get some kind of royalites or something- you cant just name a bike after me and not give me one as a payment- Ben- call me

Jason

crossjunkee
04-14-2005, 03:34 PM
James;

The reason the pros don't want it is that it is not yet legal for UCI races.

BK

Wrong!!! Real cross racers are against disc brakes in every way!! Where's e-Richie? I need backup!!!

crossjunkee
04-14-2005, 03:51 PM
Bruce,

Sorry for my last post, I should give a couple reasons. Most elite level riders would rather have a lighter frame, if you add disc tabs, the frame will be slightly overbuilt. A Disc brake setup is also heavier, calipers, cables(with fluid), etc. Another reason, disc's are just too complicated. I know when I'm racing, I don't have to think about my brakes. The canti's work, they're easy to adjust, and work on. Go through sand with disc brakes and tell me the out come. Most real cross races have at least one sand obstacle.

Bruce K
04-14-2005, 08:59 PM
No problem.

I DO get all the other issues, but I believe Gully's Ti Redline had the tabs on the frame. They are also standard on Salsas for 2005.

Konas, Salsas, and I'm not sure who else have moved to a 135mm rear spacing almost forcing you to use MTB hubs. At that point, how much of a leap is it after the UCI changes it's mind (if they ever do)?

It is nice to know it's an option. For a recreational cross bike it might be worth the trade off. It also might be worth it on those really muddy, sloppy days as discs seem to retain their stopping power.

I make this next statement with great respect and admiration: I know e-Richie will never offer it as he is a traditionalist and a man of singular purpose and principles.

It's still an interesting concept.

BK

musgravecycles
04-14-2005, 09:21 PM
I might be mistaken but I believe that the UCI has, or is in the process of reversing the ruling on running discs. I think I remember reading something about that in BRAIN?!

I built a cross frame a couple years ago with avids on it. I thought they were perfect, just the right amount of power. I never had any problems with sand/mud. Just about every racing MTB has discs now and they don't seem to have any issues...

Oh one more thing, you could make ubber-light carbon rims if they didn't have to support braking forces.