PDA

View Full Version : She's hooked!

false_Aest
08-22-2010, 12:41 PM
I took the GF to the Encino Velodrome yesterday for a Beginner's Track class.

She's hooked and apparently has some pretty decent speed for someone with only a few thousand miles under her legs (she's been riding on and off for a season and a half).

For right now she'll be ok with renting one of the cheap Fuji track bikes but I'm pretty sure she's gonna need her own sooner rather than later.

So we checked out the internet and found a lot of "track" bikes . . . but I'm thinking that these might just be road bikes with horizontal drops.

So I guess the question is what are we looking for in a mid-level track frame or complete bike? (I'm thinking we're looking for something around the same "level" as a CAAD9 with Force).

AngryScientist
08-22-2010, 02:38 PM
bianchi super pista, classic track bike. you can build one up very nicely for well under a grand...

SoCalSteve
08-22-2010, 02:53 PM
I took the GF to the Encino Velodrome yesterday for a Beginner's Track class.

She's hooked and apparently has some pretty decent speed for someone with only a few thousand miles under her legs (she's been riding on and off for a season and a half).

For right now she'll be ok with renting one of the cheap Fuji track bikes but I'm pretty sure she's gonna need her own sooner rather than later.

So we checked out the internet and found a lot of "track" bikes . . . but I'm thinking that these might just be road bikes with horizontal drops.

So I guess the question is what are we looking for in a mid-level track frame or complete bike? (I'm thinking we're looking for something around the same "level" as a CAAD9 with Force).

Check out the Veledrome at the Home Depot Center in Carson...Just as far (or close) a drive to there as it it to Encino...

But, its spectacular!

From their website: (http://www.lavelodrome.org/)

The Home Depot Center Velodrome is a 100,000 square foot, $15 million specially designed 250 meter indoor wood bicycle racing track. The Home Depot Center Velodrome is also a part of the United States Olympic training centers. The velodrome is open to the public during specified hours. See calendar for details. The Home Depot Center Velodrome will host training and competition under the guidance of USACycling, including state, national, world cup, and world championship events.

The Home Depot Center Velodrome, America's largest indoor velodrome, is committed to the growth of the sport of cycling. Youth, beginner, intermediate, and advanced training programs are available to those curious about riding the velodrome all the way to aspiring Olympic and World Championship athletes.

false_Aest
08-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Yep. We're on to that next.

Encino is 1/3 the cost of LA Velo and a little less intimidating for the lady.

DaveS
08-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Used Fuji Track Pros run in the $700-900 and are popular entry level bikes at the SD velodrome. I picked one up when I started riding track, and it's a solid ride with reasonable geometry.

DaveS
08-22-2010, 04:02 PM
also worth mentioning, www.fixedgearfever.com is a great track cycling resource.

alancw3
08-23-2010, 04:40 AM
c'dale capo! great mid level track bike and very reasonable. on their website under specialty bikes i think.

false_Aest
08-23-2010, 08:48 AM
c'dale capo! great mid level track bike and very reasonable. on their website under specialty bikes i think.

I was wondering about the trail measurement on the Capo. It seems slightly long compared to other track bikes. (2mm-ish). How does this affect the bike when riding at velodromes like the ADT (Home Depot) Center in L.A.?

TFT

TimmyB
08-23-2010, 02:15 PM
If it were me I'd look into the felt tk2. I've got a couple friends that race theirs on the track and they seem to like theirs.

fiamme red
08-23-2010, 02:21 PM
IIRC, 11.4 thinks highly of Bareknuckle frames (except the paint quality).

false_Aest
08-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Bare Knuckles are hard to come by these days. I believe EAI discontinued them.

I also have a feeling that the GF wants something a little less ugly.

Definitely gonna check out the Felt though.

TimmyB
08-23-2010, 03:38 PM
I had a bareknuckle. You can still buy them new off of the bike biz (http://www.thebikebiz.com/EAI_Bare_Knuckle_p/bk-trk-eai01.htm). Or they pop up used from time to time for a much more reasonable price. I liked mine quite a lot - it's over built (been hit by two cars - the frame's still fine) and IMHO the best frame for an "urban fixed gear." I would want something lighter and more aggressive for the track though.

BillG
08-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Here too:

http://www.bikecult.com/works/bikesframes.html

Jack Brunk
08-23-2010, 04:12 PM
If she's important enough then I think a Nagasawa would work perfect.

William
08-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Lots to choose from here if you don't mind ordering across the Big pond...

http://njs-keirin.blogspot.com/2010/07/anchor-red-chrome.html

On this side...some nice rides here too...

http://www.fixeddy.blogspot.com/

William

BillG
08-23-2010, 04:27 PM

Is she paying you to heap the guilt on False Aest? He might have to sell a kidney now.

false_Aest
08-23-2010, 05:25 PM

Jack,

I thought the dude isn't taking orders anymore.

weisan
08-23-2010, 05:41 PM
Jack,

false-pal, the kerin master is not taking orders as in Hattori Hanzo is no longer making swords unless of course Beatrix Kiddo calls on a personal favor.

Check out this recent thread:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=77367&highlight=nagasawa

Jack Brunk
08-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Jack,

I was just ribbing you. I thought someone was selling one in a smaller size recently. You guys need to come up to the Encino track on Wed nights for open training. There's usually a good group of people willing to give pointers. There's no structered training on Weds so it's a good time to come out and practice pace lines etc. Also check out Bill Rons track shop in Manhattan Beach I believe. I'm told it's a track store deluxe and you can probably find a great bike at a great price.

false_Aest
08-23-2010, 08:06 PM
I was just ribbing you.

Yep. My smart-ass response was taking too much time to type out so I posted that instead.

Thanks for the heads up about the dude in Manhattan Beach. I'll check it out next time I'm down there.

As for the bike . . . she saw a Celeste Green Super Pista and promptly declared, "That's the one I want."

"Uh babe, you gotta actually get fit and make sure the bike works for you."
"Oh, OK. THEN can we buy the Super Pista."

Luckily she's not like that 95% of the time and the other 5% usually has to do with something like sexy undies, camping gear, motorcycles (no scooters) or bike stuff.

Jack Brunk
08-23-2010, 10:04 PM
My suggestion is for her to get some needed practice at encino. ADT is a serious place compared to encino. 43 degree wood track with a very serious Tude compared to a 28 degree semi serious tude. She can learn the track ropes at encino and then take a 4 hour class at adt to get her certification. You must maintain a 15 plus mph on the adt track and most of the time there will be world class track racers from somewhere in the world on the track at the same time.

QUOTE=false_Aest]Yep. My smart-ass response was taking too much time to type out so I posted that instead.

Thanks for the heads up about the dude in Manhattan Beach. I'll check it out next time I'm down there.

As for the bike . . . she saw a Celeste Green Super Pista and promptly declared, "That's the one I want."

"Uh babe, you gotta actually get fit and make sure the bike works for you."
"Oh, OK. THEN can we buy the Super Pista."

Luckily she's not like that 95% of the time and the other 5% usually has to do with something like sexy undies, camping gear, motorcycles (no scooters) or bike stuff.[/QUOTE]

false_Aest
08-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Good Advice Jack.

A few people we've spoken to have said the same thing so that's the plan.

Maybe we'll get her to Carson in the spring.

firerescuefin
08-23-2010, 10:33 PM
The good news: She won't give you crap for spending money on your bike.

The bad news: She may expect the money you would spend on your bike(s) to be spent on her bike. ;)

Good luck!