PDA

View Full Version : Handling Hypothetical

soulspinner
04-13-2005, 07:48 AM
I have a Strong foco with parallel 73 degree angles in a compact. 45 rake Ouzo lite fork(trail 5.6). It is a virtual 57(16.8 head tube) or so. This bike handles incredibly well. Twice I have had the whole bike drift on the silt in the road and was able to catch it. Im considering a Specialized Roubaix carbon thinking that this frame may soak up more chip seal buzz on longer rides(Im keepin the Strong!). It has a 72 head angle and 49 rake(5.9 trail.) One, will the carbon frame dull my ability to feel the road and therefore cause me to go down given the same handling circumstances? Is the slower steering more of a factor than my reflexes? Last, should I just go to 25 mm tires and forget the carbon frame(havent raced in almost 20 years and dont care to ever again)?

CNote
04-13-2005, 09:09 AM
Try the 25s.

David Kirk
04-13-2005, 09:32 AM
24mm tubulars or 25mm clinchers are good.

Dave

LegendRider
04-13-2005, 10:30 AM
Although I agree the tires are probably the way to go, I own a Roubaix Pro and I'm pleasantly surprised. It's comfortable and stable. For comparison, it's noticeably more comfortable than my Fina. Neverthless, it's as good a race bike as I've ridden.

RichMc
04-13-2005, 12:50 PM
The Specialized Roubaix carbon may just be a suprising ride. I have never heard any negatives about the handling or road feel of the bike. Same goes for my Allez Comp, although it was very harsh before the wheel swap.

BUT! -- It just seems to be lacking some "soul". I like it, it works great, but there is something intangible about it that just doesn't really completely grab me. The Specialized carbons can be had for sweet prices though.

Peter
04-13-2005, 08:56 PM
What do you mean; the bike "drifts on the silt"? Sounds like a tire issue. Get 25s. Get something with tread to cut through the "silt". Ain't the front end geometry, babe.

soulspinner
04-13-2005, 09:33 PM
Sorry this was obscure. The drifting occured during high speed 90 degree corners where the whole bike drifted on silt/sand. The fact I didnt go down amazes me. Just wondered if the the slower steering bike would behave the same way...