PDA

View Full Version : Best carbon water bottle cages?

roguedog
08-21-2010, 12:39 AM
Thinking bout getting some and wondering what people have found are nice and work for them?

I think I'm liking the look of the Arundel Mandible but am open to anything..

Thanks!

norcalbiker
08-21-2010, 01:38 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with Arundel. I'd used some other brand before but I am happy with Arundel.

jlwdm
08-21-2010, 07:00 AM
Arundel Mandible

Search for cage under headings in GD and you will find some recent threads.

Edit: Was on my blackberry so did not search. These searches are older. I know there have been a bunch of posts on this just not sure what under or maybe another forum.

Jeff

kramnnim
08-21-2010, 07:19 AM
I was going to post a similar question last night...

I've been looking at the carbon cages on eBay from various sellers in Hong Kong...anyone try them? They are...quite affordable, but I'm guessing the quality reflects the low cost...?

Cinci Jim
08-21-2010, 08:07 AM
Pros - look good, cheap on Bonktown

Cons - have to wait for them to come up & then stock up!

oldpotatoe
08-21-2010, 08:08 AM
Thinking bout getting some and wondering what people have found are nice and work for them?

I think I'm liking the look of the Arundel Mandible but am open to anything..

Thanks!

http://www.kingcage.com/products-waterbottle-cages.html

Carbon for carbon but these are the same price, a wee bit lighter and probably stronger..just discussing....

Most bike shops that carry them sell 'em for $45-$50 or so.

T.J.
08-21-2010, 08:09 AM
I use Zipp cages and have no complaints

Uncle Jam's Army
08-21-2010, 08:32 AM
I tried to buy some Emporio Dolomitti's as I heard that they were a great, light cage (something like 16 grams), but they are damn hard to come by. So I ordered some Arundel Mandibles instead and have been extremely pleased. No rattling and they hold the bottles like a vise.

moran
08-21-2010, 09:24 AM
I have had great luck with the Arundel Dave'O's and also the Tao Tacx.

blschaefer1
08-21-2010, 09:38 AM
Arundel Mandible. Best cage i've ever used. I rate the Davo-o and the Sideloader right behind.

zap
08-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Forget carbon cages. There kitch.

Help the US economy. Purchase a King ti cage.

Mike748
08-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Mandibles are great, I have them on one bike. I like my Blackburn CF cages better though - easier to get the bottles in and out, still hold tight. I love my titanium King cages.

rphetteplace
08-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Forget carbon cages. There kitch.

Help the US economy. Purchase a King ti cage.

+1 the best carbon cage is a King Ti cage :)

dekindy
08-21-2010, 12:41 PM
King steel is as good as titanium and much cheaper.

BdaGhisallo
08-21-2010, 01:26 PM
I have been using Arundel Dave-O cages for about two years and they have been solid. I have never had an issue with a bottle popping out or anything that I can think of. I recently got a pair of Mandibles because they looked sexy and because they were Arundel's newest - so they had to be better, right?

Well, the Mandibles hold bottles better than any cage I have ever tried. Perhaps, a little too well. I found it took a lot of effort to pull a bottle out, a lot more than the Dave-Os. I am imagining that I may have trouble one day at the end of a long ride when the bottle has condensation on the outside with the bottle flying out of my hand because I had to pull it out so hard from the Mandible!

I am torn.

Jeff N.
08-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Elite carbon cages are quite nice, IMO. Jeff N.

Ahneida Ride
08-21-2010, 04:45 PM
Purchase a King ti cage.

King Ti's are flexible .... they have resilience and are mailable.

Super light, super strong and the grip is tenacious. :banana:

roguedog
08-21-2010, 06:03 PM
I've already got King steel cages on my bike. :) I like 'em.

Was thinking of going for the carbon look since I've got the carbon record 10 on the bike.

Hmm.. maybe I'll keep what I got... or just cruise bonktown for those cutters to see if i even like the look w/ carbon.

BTW, I did a search on the entire forum for "carbon water cage" before submitting this thread. Saw a lot of older posts so thought I'd refresh the topic and see if there's anything new out there.

Tonger
08-21-2010, 07:23 PM
For your inner weight weenie -

http://fairwheelbikes.com/tunebtp-bottle-cage-p-1370.html

No lost bottles...

little.man
08-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Have Profile carbon cages and love them. One is 4 years old. The other one only slightly newer. Both hold bottles better than any metal cage I have used. Elites were the last ones that I used. Always had to replace metal cages because of wear. Not so with the carbon cages.

I see complaints about the price of the carbon cages, but for me, they actually end up being cheaper because I am not replacing them as often as the metal cages.

Mark

johnnymossville
08-21-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm ready to chuck my carbon cages from performance. I think they throw water bottles on purpose just to pick on me.

pdmtong
08-21-2010, 11:45 PM
Never had any issues with Zipp, Reynolds, Profile or Bontrager carbon

Of the four, the Bontragers tend to scrape the bottles the most.

rugbysecondrow
08-22-2010, 07:33 AM
I'm ready to chuck my carbon cages from performance. I think they throw water bottles on purpose just to pick on me.
You have to do a better job of avoiding the Maryland potholes. ;)

PaulE
08-22-2010, 10:48 AM
I was going to post a similar question last night...

I've been looking at the carbon cages on eBay from various sellers in Hong Kong...anyone try them? They are...quite affordable, but I'm guessing the quality reflects the low cost...?

I have a pair of the Arundel cages on my Legend. They are nice and hold bottles really well, but they are pricey, now $60 each at my LBS. For my HSG, I bought these (http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-3K-Carbon-Water-Bottle-Cage-22g-/130421686446?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories) from one of the Hong Kong sellers on eBay. At $38.50 for the pair, including stainless steel bolts and shipping, they are every bit as nice and work as well as the Arundel cages. People also tell me they complement the HSG's carbon.

A good friend of mine bought some of the cheaper Hong Kong carbon fiber bottle cages on eBay and has nothing but good things to say about them. I would have went with the cheaper ones, but I splurged for the $38.50 pair because I liked the shape of them better.

The only downside to carbon fiber cages is that they will wear off the lettering on any water bottles, if that is important to you. The King Cages in stainless steel or Ti will not. I use the King stainless cages on my steel bikes and like them too. I think they are 15 grams heavier than the Ti ones, but they are way cheaper than the Ti ones too.

rdparadise
08-22-2010, 01:00 PM
I have the 2010 Zipp carbon cages in white. They are real purty and do a great job holding onto the water bottle. No problems whatsoever. They aren't cheap, mind you at $60 a piece but they look great and function just as well.

BTW, I have a cheap carbon cage from eBay that I bought a couple of years ago on my Serotta Legend. They aren't pretty but they have been functional without a hitch. I paid $23-30 a piece for those and they are rock solid.

That's it.

Bob

AngryScientist
08-22-2010, 07:47 PM
believe it or not, blackburn carbon bottle cages are pretty good, and i believe they have a lifetime warranty.

johnnymossville
08-22-2010, 08:13 PM
You have to do a better job of avoiding the Maryland potholes. ;)

speaking from experience I guess eh? :)

old fat man
08-22-2010, 09:37 PM
i'm a fan of the reynolds/arundel carbon cages. they even work on my mtb.

danielpack22@ma
08-23-2010, 08:19 AM
For modern fat tube bikes I go with Arundel Dave-o. For Ti bikes, I go with the King Ti. For shiny classic look, I go with Nitto. I've found that all three hold a bottle extremely well on rough back country roads.

roguedog
08-23-2010, 10:03 AM
For those who've been monitoring this thread - $21

Thanks for the tip, Jim! Got myself 2 since this is just an aesthetic experiment :)

Btq, I think I've got like 3 pair of King steel cages.

EastCoastRoadie
08-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Its the King ti bottle cages you have to take a look at, not the steel that you already have. Much lighter than the steel, and they are bullet proof. If you break one of these, you will probably be in the hospital a while recovering from your crash...

terrytnt
08-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Just dumped my previous carbon cages after almost killing another person in a very large and fast pace line over a very rough road in NJ (hwy 29 to French Town).

The folks at Comp Cyclist convinced me to purchase the Mandibles... these cages are fabulous. Yes they hold the bottles and I won't be responsible for causing a crash with others.

They get my vote and look quite good on my Ottrott.

130R
08-28-2010, 08:28 PM
best carbon?

- Arundel Dave-O

best metal?

- King Ti

cheers!

bluesea
08-28-2010, 11:55 PM
Been using the Arundel Sport Bottle Cage (a plastic Dave-O) just to keep it real and not get out of hand with bling ;). OTOH, I may have to get some Dave-O's to go with the new Cervelo.

Walter
08-29-2010, 06:14 AM
I have the Tune/BTP carbon bottle cages on one bike (for 5 years) and Zipps on another (for 8 months). Both work just fine with no issues.