PDA

View Full Version : HeadsUp questions

dawgie
08-20-2010, 11:14 AM
Can you remove a HeadsUp head-tube extender once one has been installed in a frame? Is there a proper way to do it so you don't damage the frame and HeadsUp?

I am considering installing one on a ti frame, but don't want to if it's irreversible or could damage the frame on removal.

cp43
08-20-2010, 01:06 PM
I've never tried to remove one (or ever used one), but I think that you can remove the HeadsUp from the frame just as you'd remove a headset from a frame. You'd use one of these (http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=51&item=RT-1) to get it out of the frame.

I think that the harder part would be to get the upper cup of the headset out of the HeadsUp after it's been removed from the frame.

Hope that helps.

Chris

dawgie
08-20-2010, 01:08 PM
That makes sense. So I probably wouldn't want to install a Chris King headset if I might be removing the HeadsUp at some point?

cp43
08-20-2010, 01:12 PM
I would agree, you probably don't want to put an expensive headset in to the HeadsUp, if you might be removing it. However, as I said before, I've never used one. So, there may be some trick to it that I don't know about that would allow you to get the headset out easily.

Good luck,

Chris

victoryfactory
08-20-2010, 01:21 PM
I've never tried to remove one (or ever used one), but I think that you can remove the HeadsUp from the frame just as you'd remove a headset from a frame. You'd use one of these (http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=51&item=RT-1) to get it out of the frame.

Chris

That won't work because the headtube extender is made to be flush with the
inside of the headtube.
That tool is made to remove headsets which have a lip inside to catch the tool on.

You could remove an extender (if you don't mind trashing it) with any number of
methods including pliers, holes drilled in it and something inserted, etc.

If I wanted to remove one and save it, I would try a pair of well padded
pump pliers which are made to hold round objects and some gentle
persuasion. May work??

FWIW

VF

Mike748
08-20-2010, 03:51 PM
inside of the headtube.
That tool is made to remove headsets which have a lip inside to catch the tool on.

persuasion. May work??

FWIW

VF

Sorry, but that can't be the case. The headsup will have a lip inside the headtube just like a headset does. It has to have wall thickness on the part that's pressed in. Wall thickness means a lip.

cp43
08-20-2010, 03:52 PM
inside of the headtube.

persuasion. May work??

FWIW

VF

Good to know, I thought that the extender had a lip on it similar to a headset.

Thanks,

Chris

93legendti
08-20-2010, 05:02 PM
I've had several Heads Ups removed by 2 different shops with no issues.

Louis
08-20-2010, 05:23 PM
The challenge is to remove the headset cup from the H/U extender.

Dekonick
08-20-2010, 07:37 PM
I have installed and removed them. My advice: Install your heads-up with the best headset you own - as you will have a hell of a time getting the heads up put of the headset once installed. I WOULD use a King. That way you know it will last a loooooong time.

You can get a HU out of a headset, but you will have to destroy the headset cup and it won't be easy to do without harming the HU.

:)

victoryfactory
08-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Sorry, but that can't be the case. The headsup will have a lip inside the headtube just like a headset does. It has to have wall thickness on the part that's pressed in. Wall thickness means a lip.

DOH!
It's flush on the outside.

I'm not sure if the inside presents enough of a lip to use the tool to pop it out,
but then you would have a heads up with a top headset cup attached,
the real issue here, as Dekonick said.