PDA

View Full Version : folding bikes (travel bikes)

AngryScientist
08-19-2010, 07:16 AM
as we can all probably attest, travelling via plane with a bike can sometimes really be a hassle, both from a logistics standpoint and a monetary one as well.

i've recently become interested in travelling more with a bicycle, as it is without a doubt, one of the best ways to explore a new place. lots of times rental bikes (real bikes, not coaster brake beach cruisers) are not available.

does anyone employ a folder for such a purpose? i'm thinking light fast 65 - 90 mile rides to see the sites in a particular place. fold it up, but in rigid standard size suitcase and travel worry free.

something ideally with drop bars and reasonable geometry.

this is just "office dreaming" at the moment, but the thought is in my head and i'd like to know if anyone is doing this, or your other "travel bike" ideas.

sg8357
08-19-2010, 07:22 AM
Not a folder, a take apart bike.

http://www.britishbicycle.com/downloads/Pashley-Moulton-TSR-Catalog.pdf

Ray
08-19-2010, 07:23 AM
This has been discussed extensively, so I'll recommend a search. The short version is that your best bets are either a true folder like a Bike Friday or a take apart bike like the ones from Ritchey or lots of bikes built or retrofitted with S&S couplers. The Bike Friday makes for quicker assembly and disassembly and a normal sized suitcase with the tradeoff being a bike with very small wheels that rides surprisingly well, but not quite like a regular full sized bike. An S&S bike or Ritchey take apart are essentially standard bikes that separate, fit into a regulation sized (but just barely regulatiion - the Ritchey may technically not be regulation) suitcase, and rides exactly like the same bike would without the couplers. But they take a bit longer to assemble/disassemble.

Both are good options with different tradeoffs. I've had both and I like the S&S bike a lot better - its one of my two main rides at home too. But if you travel a lot and will need to disassemble and assemble a lot, the Bike Friday is notably easier to deal with.

-Ray

rugbysecondrow
08-19-2010, 07:43 AM
I have never had a bike friday, but I have had a Ritchey Breakaway and an S&S bike, and I prefer the S&S. It is more durable from the perspective that the way the frame joins together is more robust and the couples protect the frame some. The Ritchey WILL chip where it joins and WILL turn ugly around the spots.

In addition, I like having a coupled bike is possible for your sole bike for real world riding, unlike a folding bike that would be good for travel, but not much else. I have used my coupled bike even when not traveling via plane, just de-couple, take the tires off and it fits more easily for road trips and car traveling. I bought a used Surly Travelers -Check frame off of Ebay for a good price, and I have a custom frame incoming any day now that will be coupled. Bikes = Freedom and the S&S Couplers take that a step further which I enjoy.

oldpotatoe
08-19-2010, 08:05 AM
as we can all probably attest, travelling via plane with a bike can sometimes really be a hassle, both from a logistics standpoint and a monetary one as well.

i've recently become interested in travelling more with a bicycle, as it is without a doubt, one of the best ways to explore a new place. lots of times rental bikes (real bikes, not coaster brake beach cruisers) are not available.

does anyone employ a folder for such a purpose? i'm thinking light fast 65 - 90 mile rides to see the sites in a particular place. fold it up, but in rigid standard size suitcase and travel worry free.

something ideally with drop bars and reasonable geometry.

this is just "office dreaming" at the moment, but the thought is in my head and i'd like to know if anyone is doing this, or your other "travel bike" ideas.

http://www.ritcheylogic.com/dyn_category.php?k=97991

Traveled with them, sell 'em. For the price, it can't be beat. S&S are very nice too but are generally much more expensive unless pre owned.

spacemen3
08-19-2010, 08:47 AM
The Break-Away gets my vote, too.

Ken Robb
08-19-2010, 09:03 AM
I have a bikefriday New World Tourist that does ride surprisingly like a "real bike". Go to their website for LOTS of info and pix. If you get to San Diego you can try mine but the company will also try to hook you up with one to try from a dealer or a happy customer, many of whom drink the Kool-Aid and join the cult.

Cinci Jim
08-19-2010, 09:42 AM
I have a Fierte bare Ti frame with carbon seatstays that I had hacked with S&S couplers. I have found that no matter how careful I am at packing, it does tend to get scratched up (thank you TSA) - this is the reason for the bare Ti. It has an Ultegra triple group on it with Ultegra/open pro wheels. It is a bomp-proof bike with components that are relatively cheep to replace as long as the frame is OK.

eddief
08-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Both require patience to deal with and neither is a quick fold commuter bike. The BF Tikit seems to be a better choice for commuters.

My BF Crusoe, just sold, was a really fine, fast, light traveler. Even though the Samsonite case is not as well built as the S&S hard case, the Samsonite is much lighter...and super maneuverable through airports, etc.

My lastest coupled bike is a retro fitted Riv Rambouillet. I like it a lot and my appreciation for it did sorta force the sale of the BF.

I took the BF on a 300 mile 6 day tour at the beginning of the year. It worked fine, but I do believe small wheels do make for a rougher ride and I do think they spin up faster, but do not stay at speed as big wheels do. Physics?

But then I had two more quite long tours scheduled for later in the year and all of my training was on a normal road bike. I did one big training ride on the BF and there was a really steep grade to climb. Standing up on the BF with my head hanging out over that little 20 inch wheel was the first time I questioned whether or not it was the best choice for climbing. For me the answer was no. Also the geo on my BF made for quite twitchy, but completely controllable steering. Would never ride it "no hands."

Three weeks before my last tour, I stumbled onto the used coupled Rambouillet. Got it, built it up two days before departure, tore it down, stuck in the case (45-60 minutes) and rode it 550 miles.

Glad I went for it.

fiamme red
08-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Not a folder, a take apart bike.

http://www.britishbicycle.com/downloads/Pashley-Moulton-TSR-Catalog.pdfI want one of these!

veggieburger
08-19-2010, 10:10 AM
I used to have a Bike Friday and it was awesome. They hold their value really well so it's difficult to find one on the cheap, but I was so impressed by the way it handled. Marginally slower than a big-wheeled bike, but it fit nicely into its own standard-sized suitcase.

AngryScientist
08-19-2010, 10:14 AM
thanks for the info all, as i mentioned, i'm just dreaming about a cycling vacation at the moment, and i'll probably do something of the "portable" variety next year.

this year i got very lucky with a rental in SD, which i'll make a ride report on shortly, but that kind of rental is rarely available.

advance picture!
http://i38.tinypic.com/10zz4hz.jpg

dogdriver
08-19-2010, 01:22 PM
+1 on the Surly Traveler's Check. Very versatile frame, and not a lot of $$$. I have one set up in a "Monstercross" flavor these days, with the stock fork and road wheelset ready to put on for road-riding-only trips.

Unless you're made of money, its nice to have a folder that you don't mind getting dinged up a little. A Kirk S&S bike just sold a cross the hall, pre-dinged so that the new owner doesn't have to lament the first scratch.

As previously mentioned, lots of good threads on this-- search S&S and I'll bet you'll find good info.

Best, Chris

eddief
08-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Maybe in some inventories, but will be made no longer.

JMerring
08-19-2010, 01:45 PM
i can't speak to a bike with couplers. nor can i really speak to a bike friday. i will, however, offer this: a riding buddy owns a bike friday; he is one of the toughest most pain tolerant mofo's i've ever met (i mean that in the best possible way); he averages around 10k miles/year and has done so for the last thirty; he always wears shoes with no socks/booties/toe warmers/warming devices, no matter the temperature, even if 20f outside and we're doing our usual saturday 70. he refuses to ride his bike friday more than 40 or so miles cos it gets that ****ty feeling by the end of it. take that for what it is worth in the context of you possibly doing 65-90 on one.

Ray
08-19-2010, 02:13 PM
i can't speak to a bike with couplers. nor can i really speak to a bike friday. i will, however, offer this: a riding buddy owns a bike friday; he is one of the toughest most pain tolerant mofo's i've ever met (i mean that in the best possible way); he averages around 10k miles/year and has done so for the last thirty; he always wears shoes with no socks/booties/toe warmers/warming devices, no matter the temperature, even if 20f outside and we're doing our usual saturday 70. he refuses to ride his bike friday more than 40 or so miles cos it gets that ****ty feeling by the end of it. take that for what it is worth in the context of you possibly doing 65-90 on one.
That was kind of my experience as well. I had one back in the days I was doing a lot of longer rides, most rides between 45-65, at least a metric a week, a few centuries - not really hard core but the hardest core I've ever been. And I couldn't ride the Bike Friday more than 30-40 and 40 was REALLY pushing it. It rode well, was responsive, but it was just so quick that I couldn't really relax on it and I just felt like garbage on it after a couple of hours. Its a fine bike - lots of people like them as much as their big-wheel bikes. But I never did and its not that uncommon a story. It may be worth a try, but its not for everyone.

-Ray

eddief
08-19-2010, 02:45 PM
My BF Crusoe was built around 406 20 inch wheels. That wheel choice opens up a panoply? of tire choices. I found the ride much smoother with fat, smooth Schwalbe Kojaks and way less so with skinny hp Schwalbe Stelvios.

93legendti
08-19-2010, 03:24 PM
My BF Crusoe was built around 406 20 inch wheels. That wheel choice opens up a panoply? of tire choices. I found the ride much smoother with fat, smooth Schwalbe Kojaks and way less so with skinny hp Schwalbe Stelvios.
The Ti seat mast is the key to smoooooooooth BF rides. My Pocket Rocket Pro and Speeding Tikit both have them. I had a steel seat mast for the PRP and a Ti mast at the same time and was able to compare the rides-no contest.

The Ti seat mast has enough give to it that you have to adjust your seat to point slightly down, because when you sit on it it flexes a wee bit to the rear.
I have Stelvios on my PRP-90psi rear and 85psi front. Smooth.

Peter B
10-23-2010, 12:08 AM
That was kind of my experience as well. I had one back in the days I was doing a lot of longer rides, most rides between 45-65, at least a metric a week, a few centuries - not really hard core but the hardest core I've ever been. And I couldn't ride the Bike Friday more than 30-40 and 40 was REALLY pushing it. It rode well, was responsive, but it was just so quick that I couldn't really relax on it and I just felt like garbage on it after a couple of hours. Its a fine bike - lots of people like them as much as their big-wheel bikes. But I never did and its not that uncommon a story. It may be worth a try, but its not for everyone.

-Ray

A friend has one. He does some long-ish rides on it. 2003 PBP on the Pocket Rocket Pro. Another friend has done PBP '03, '07, a Great Southern and Sophia-Varna-Sophia on an Air Friday. Must not be too bad for riding distance...

jeo99
10-23-2010, 09:39 AM
I have never had a bike friday, but I have had a Ritchey Breakaway and an S&S bike, and I prefer the S&S. It is more durable from the perspective that the way the frame joins together is more robust and the couples protect the frame some. The Ritchey WILL chip where it joins and WILL turn ugly around the spots.

In addition, I like having a coupled bike is possible for your sole bike for real world riding, unlike a folding bike that would be good for travel, but not much else. I have used my coupled bike even when not traveling via plane, just de-couple, take the tires off and it fits more easily for road trips and car traveling. I bought a used Surly Travelers -Check frame off of Ebay for a good price, and I have a custom frame incoming any day now that will be coupled. Bikes = Freedom and the S&S Couplers take that a step further which I enjoy.

+1000
My S&S coupled Atlanta is not only my travel but everyday bike as well! No reason to switch to a different bike for use at home. The Bilenky boys are perfection for adding couplers!

:beer:

Kirk007
10-23-2010, 10:59 AM
similar experience as Eddief. Had a BF pocket rocket and it was great for flats and hills around Eugene. Took it to Boulder and up the canyons out of town and sold it thereafter. I ride a 62-64 cm frame in big bikes and found that my larger mass high atop the seat mast, the little wheels and no top bar made for very unsettling out of saddle climbing on steep slopes.

I have a Kirk S&S that I love but I also agree with others that the downside of having a really nice travel bike it that it seems the dings to paint etc. are much harder to avoid. I even managed to put a small dent and paint chip in the seat tube where the left crank arm wasn't sufficiently secured in the case and managed to get loose and clang around in transit.

I love traveling with bikes but it is not hassle free and if I was to do it again I might go a very different route; maybe get couplers added to something like the Civia Bryant (or get a custom frame, maybe a Co-Motion co-pilot) that was designed for a gates carbon drive and use the new Shimano internal 11 speed rear hub. I think this would simplify set up and tear down and less mess to deal with. Might also consider going with a frame built for 650B and wide tires so it could be set up for road or off-road; something conceptually like the Van Dessel ***. I would also get bare Ti if I was feeling flush or a good powdercoat on steel for a more durable paint.

eddief
10-23-2010, 11:07 AM
i'd probably let doug curtis at curtlo build me a custom. he has lots of experience with couplers and his pricing seems super fair.

nice, simple, tigged, with powder. throw it in the case, not to worry, have fun:

http://www.curtlo.com/pricing.html

eddief
10-23-2010, 11:15 AM
http://picasaweb.google.com/107231724174916923201/UntitledAlbum03#

KMA
10-23-2010, 12:43 PM
I had similar day dreams of getting a folding bike to have on vacations and other trips. After much research, I decided on the Surly Travelers Check. Found a closeout color for <$1K. I've taken it to the Yukatan, MX and New York so far. I'm not using it for real long epic rides, but more to explore new areas and site see. I just use toe clips so I can just use the shoes or sandles I pack and fat 35c tires to explore dirt roads. It's also built up single speed to keep things simple, lighter to pack, and quicker to put together. The S&S spanner wrench and a 5mm allen wrench is all need to build/break down. Using an S&S soft case because it's light and I can pack the bike and extra clothes/items and keep it under the 50lb airline limit (it comes close!). It's so much fun to have the bike on trips now. So glad I made the purchase. My wife has things she wants to do on trips (ie shopping) and I go riding for a couple hours ride. It's a win-win. The bike and case does get beat up so I wouldn't want to invest too much money. Even with tube covers things tend to get moved around and rubbed/scratched. I also found a TSA card in the case when arrived at my destination so it’s been opened and inspected. Luckily they didn’t remove anything because I don’t think they would be able to put it back in the bag correctly.

jambee
11-12-2012, 02:12 AM
I'm also in the process of building a travel bike. I realized in recent years that I spent about 5 months out of every year living in hotels - having a bike with me will hopefully add Karma points and allow me to enjoy new cities.

The main problem that I find is the build. The frame can do everything (custom-made Hunter) including EBB disk and canti stays. So...what to do? I like the idea of starting single speed, but that seems to limit the riding options.
Ideas?
What would be the most painless multi-function ride you could imagine?

schwa86
11-12-2012, 05:17 PM
My sister-in-law got me the David Byrne Bicycle Diaries book a couple of years ago for my birthday. It is basically his reflections on always travelling with a bike to new places -- kind of a combo travelogue, bike manifesto and musical/cultural/philosophic reflections on major world cities. A decent and easy read and will only add to your interest I think.

AgilisMerlin
11-12-2012, 05:46 PM
with that bike, a permanent vacation

thanks for the info all, as i mentioned, i'm just dreaming about a cycling vacation at the moment, and i'll probably do something of the "portable" variety next year.

this year i got very lucky with a rental in SD, which i'll make a ride report on shortly, but that kind of rental is rarely available.

advance picture!
http://i38.tinypic.com/10zz4hz.jpg

choke
11-12-2012, 06:51 PM
My brother has a Brompton and absolutely loves it. It's pretty much his 'go-to' bike for most rides and it sees more miles than his others (Rivendell Saluki, Pogliaghi).

weisan
11-12-2012, 07:03 PM
I have owned three travel bikes, past and present, BF Air Friday, Tikit, and a custom road bike with ritchey breakaway coupling. They all ride fine, can serve as dedcated ride, for whatever distance or terrain, if you set them up accordingly. For instance, I have taken my tikit through mountain bike trails, I don't see any problem there, in fact it's fun to mix things up a bit. Real-life experience supports the fact that the majority that possess a travel bike utilized its travel capability 0-5 times at most. I have only travelled twice with a bike, ie. the ritchey-enabled roadbike but incidentally did not make use of the coupling system, rather I prefer the AirCaddy box that requires almost zero disassembly, did not incur any extra airline charges with Qantas or Jetstar.
Obviously, the reason to have a travel bike, is having that option when the time comes and your personal setup.

One last point, the coupling system, ritchey or s&s, has ZERO negative impact on the ride.
Oh, I just remember something, travel bike might be easier to sell later. I had so much fun with the tikit, bought it used, kept it in the back of my car wherever I go, rode it everywhere
for a year and a half, and sold it back in the used market for the same price that I got it for.:hello: Talk about free rental

GuyGadois
11-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Saw Brompton at the NAHBS and they looked great. Never ridden one but I would take those on a European vacation anytime.

http://www.brompton.co.uk/extranet/downloads/Key_Models/mid/P6R_X_Black_profile.jpg

poet
11-12-2012, 07:36 PM
I have had pretty good luck renting bikes while traveling, or buying really junky ones that I've frequently feared for my life while riding. It's good if you want to interact with locals. That said, I'd also definitely go for a bike with couplers than a folder.

Here is the bike i rented in Osaka. Cute right?

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/430100_3184440444209_1789507730_n.jpg

DRZRM
11-12-2012, 07:43 PM
I vote for taking a frame you love and sending it to Bilinky to be chopped. I have a ti IF Planet X that I love every time I hop on, it can handle road or trails depending on where I'm headed. Was a lot cheaper than buying even a fairly cheap travel bike.

jeduardo
11-12-2012, 07:50 PM
WOW! Now that is a kind paint-job. Any idea which paint #/scheme was used? I think getting a Master in that green would be the cat's behind :)

with that bike, a permanent vacation

christian
11-12-2012, 08:16 PM
Nick - you like to ride fixed. So... Swift Folder (one of the original Bklyn ones) set up fixed. See Alex Wetmore's site for some more inspiration. Rides like a proper bike, and fixed, it folds in about, oh, 10 secs.

93legendti
11-12-2012, 08:19 PM
I'm enjoying my new Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe. I have it set up with thinnish slicks and I have been doing hilly loops with it with sections as steep as 10%. I haven't had a chance to ride it on rides any longer than 2:30, but I could see easily do 3 hour plus rides on it. Ymmv.

schwa86
11-13-2012, 05:35 AM
But thought the Serotta was already sent to Bilenky for couplers earlier this year? http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=105961

Nooch
11-13-2012, 07:24 AM
But thought the Serotta was already sent to Bilenky for couplers earlier this year? http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=105961

And this thread was originally posted by nick in 2010... since then he's bought both a folder AND had his serotta chopped.

...and brought back to the surface by someone with 9 posts (though he's been around since 2010, so I don't think it's our standard classifieds run-up)...

AngryScientist
11-13-2012, 07:27 AM
And this thread was originally posted by nick in 2010... since then he's bought both a folder AND had his serotta chopped.

...and brought back to the surface by someone with 9 posts (though he's been around since 2010, so I don't think it's our standard classifieds run-up)...

yes, drew is correct!

the folder excels at bi-modal transportation, if you need to get on a bus or train, perfect for that, and NJ Transit has no folding bike restrictions.

coupled bike is the ultimate travel bike, though mine has never been on a plane, sadly....yet.

schwa86
11-13-2012, 07:08 PM
Proving that I gotta do a better job reading the fine print at the top of the posts!

Thumby
11-13-2012, 09:07 PM
I was very happy with a Dahon Tournado with Ritchey Breakaways. I had zero issues with the system, and put several thousand miles on it. The soft case was a bother though...not enough protection for the wheels. On my last trip the case was destroyed by the airline. A hard case is the way to go.

estuche
05-22-2013, 11:07 PM
There is the Dahon TT pro with 27 speeds