PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a stem/seatpost combo

bkboom123
08-18-2010, 10:41 PM
I have a sweet new frameset coming in next week, the exact same model as this one...

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=77112

I need to figure out a seatpost (with setback) and a stem to go along with it. I am somewhat anal and like to have my stem and seatpost match, as far as brand is concerned.

The most important aspects to me are....weight, then durability, then bang for the buck.

I am a weight weenie at heart :crap:

Help me out with some ideas and input por favor! thanks

firerescuefin
08-18-2010, 10:51 PM
FSA is hard to beat

I don't know how anal you are about matching. I had the K-Force seat post and carbon stem and switched to the OS-15 stem. Have nothing bad to say about any of their products.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FSA-K-Force-Flat-Handlebar-OS-99-Stem-K-Force-Searpost-/370420039262?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories

This seems a little high IMO, but you get the idea.

rustychisel
08-18-2010, 10:53 PM
I would find it hard to go past Easton for cost, durability, ability, longevity, appeal, weeniness, not really in any particular order.

To that end I might suggest the EC70 seatpost (I have no problems with carbon seatposts, relatively light but not stupid, reliable, one bolt saddle retaining, good setback, looks good)

and the EA90 stem (prefer alloy stem and bars, light, good 4 bolt retention, 0º [yes mother, they really are 0º, most FSA are 6º and most Deda are 8º] and available in a range of lengths, looks good).

Your thoughts (carbon vs alloy) may differ, and you stipulate no preference for bars, and most importantly your aesthetic sense may differ wildly from mine.

How we doing so far?

dd74
08-18-2010, 11:05 PM
I'd be careful in the stem department as far as weight savings go. I have an Easton EA90 (alloy) stem, and IIRC, it weighs less than a same-length FSA carbon stem.

As to the seat post, I have an Easton EC70, and it performs very well.

What will you do for handlebars?

rustychisel
08-18-2010, 11:11 PM
I have an Easton EA90 (alloy) stem, and IIRC, it weighs less than a same-length FSA carbon stem.

agree with the point, as far as I recall most FSA carbon stems are carbon wrapped alloy anyway, and yes, a little heavier.

Another point, just recalled the EA90 stem is slightly deeper in the clamping area than many so measure carefully (not a problem with a new frame/forks).

Blue Jays
08-18-2010, 11:22 PM
You can get a pretty trick Ritchey (http://www.ritcheylogic.com/dyn_category.php?k=98001) seatpost/bar/stem combination package!
It is reliable, durable, lightweight, and sharp-looking.

firerescuefin
08-18-2010, 11:44 PM
OS 15 stem weighs 5 grams more than the EA 90.

Ritchey, 3T, FSA, Easton....all make good products that are pretty dam comparable. I would not let absolute weight be my deciding factor.

good luck,

Geoff

bkboom123
08-19-2010, 07:50 AM
Right now I use a set of Easton EC90 handlebars that I plan on using for this new frameset. I really cant justify getting rid of them since they are so damn light and feel much stiffer then my older Zipp SL bars. The graphics are pretty subdued so I feel like there isn't as much of a need to match the seatpost and stem.

I would go all Easton but I am not a huge fan of the EC70 seatpost as far as looks goes.....

I think I would prefer a carbon seatpost (for the ride quality and weight savings, plus its a super six hi-mod cmon now!) and have no preference for material as far as the stem goes.

bkboom123
08-19-2010, 07:54 AM
also, i am a weight weenie at heart.....but truth be told, I only have one rig. So Durability is just as important as weight savings, if not more.

Dave
08-19-2010, 08:30 AM
I would never buy a seatpost without a 2-bolt rocker style clamp. I could care less if the seapost and stem match, but I have resorted to spray painting some stem gloss black to remove the logos and better match the gloss finish on the frame.

The FSA K-force works great. I still like the Ritchey 4-axis stem better than any other.

ahumblecycler
08-19-2010, 08:44 AM
Which Super Six is this, the Hi-Mod Ultimate or SS-3?

If you are truly picky go for Ultimate including their handlebar. If you must stick with the Easton bar and are willing to mis-match bar/stem, check out Deda as their black stem would match the color scheme.

Oh by the way, sweet upgrade!!!!

David Kirk
08-19-2010, 08:48 AM
I'm an Oval Concepts fan. Simple and clean designs made to last and pretty damn light.

Dave

zap
08-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Time Monolink stem can be purchased new for US$100-$150 if you shop around. The stem is a bit heavier than some but stiffer than everything else thats lighter and very durable.

Seatpost-Edge or something other than cookie cutter fsa & ritchey.

Ride in style.

bkboom123
08-19-2010, 11:31 AM
I just have the frameset coming in.....The matte black Super Six Hi-mod.

Going to be fitted with the following so far:
Sram Red RD, Brakes, Shifters
Sram Force BB30 crank with Red rings, Force FD
2010 Mavic Ksyrium Elites (silver)
Selle Italia SLR XP
Easton EC90 handlebars
Time RXS pedals (white and red highlights)
Rav-x Carbon tubed bottle cages (black, white and red highlights)

The overall theme here would be black and white i suppose.

OtayBW
08-19-2010, 11:56 AM
I'm an Oval Concepts fan. Simple and clean designs made to last and pretty damn light.

Dave
The Oval stem that I have has the 4 bar mounting screws facing the rider, not outboard where they're easily accessible - and where they are on most stems that I've seen. Nice stem, but really klewgie design, IMO....

Jeff N.
08-19-2010, 02:27 PM
It's gotta be Deda for all my rides.

dekindy
08-19-2010, 02:47 PM
I went with the Bontrager Race XLite ACC seatpost and stem because of the good reviews of the seat post, setback option available, and the black with red matched my Serotta Legend.

TimmyB
08-19-2010, 02:57 PM
It's all about the pro vibe 7s stuff. If it's good enough for Thor Hushovd, it's good enough for me! Then again, I'm all about stiffness :cool:

ahumblecycler
08-19-2010, 08:06 PM
You mean Cav? Thor stuff got clearance status ;)

TimmyB
08-19-2010, 08:18 PM
Clearance status?? I disagree! I mean the guy's won a stage on the tour every year since 2001 (with the exception of 2003 and 2005)... and he hasn't needed a teammate to headbutt people to do so! As you can tell, I'm not much of a HTC guy...

dekindy
08-19-2010, 10:02 PM
Clearance status?? I disagree! I mean the guy's won a stage on the tour every year since 2001 (with the exception of 2003 and 2005)... and he hasn't needed a teammate to headbutt people to do so! As you can tell, I'm not much of a HTC guy...

I am not a huge HTC fan either but Cav kept winning without Big George and even without Renshaw. I thought it was the combination of superior team support and a great individual effort but Cav seems to find a way no matter what when he is on form.

ahumblecycler
08-19-2010, 10:14 PM
PRO put all Thor signature series bars and stem on clearance ... it was not a dig on Thor. :rolleyes:

PRO's latest signature series is with Cav ...

Let's get back on topic ... we need to help outfit an awesome bike :beer:

fogrider
08-21-2010, 07:05 PM
if I were to building up a new super light bike...I would use a a kcnc scandium stem and seatpost. they also make skewers and brakes! the stem only comes in black, but other parts comes in colors. scandium stems weigh in around 100 grams and seatpost come in around 152 grams!