PDA

View Full Version : rear rack?

tomisweeney
08-18-2010, 06:12 PM
traveling to New Zealand, 3 week bike tour
? panniers and best rear rack for a serotta ottrott

palincss
08-18-2010, 06:20 PM
I'm not sure you could pick a worse platform for loaded touring than an Ottrott. Get yourself a Surly LHT - a complete bike is $1095 - and if you like, sell it after the tour. Or use it as your commuter, or rain bike, or something.

Note: an Ottrott is a splendid choice for its intended purpose. It's just that that purpose ain't loaded touring, not in any way, shape or form.

Frankwurst
08-18-2010, 06:32 PM
Not to rain on your parade but your choice of bicycles for three weeks of touring with a rack and panniers is not ideal. I'm in no way saying anything bad about an Ottrott (truly a great bike) but it is not designed for touring. Not that it can't be done but a touring designed bike would make it alot easier and enjoyable. How many miles are you looking at? Self supported, supported, or credit card touring? These all play into it to make it as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. :beer:

Frankwurst
08-18-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm not sure you could pick a worse platform for loaded touring than an Ottrott. Get yourself a Surly LHT - a complete bike is $1095 - and if you like, sell it after the tour. Or use it as your commuter, or rain bike, or something.

Good advice. The surly LHT's are nice bicycles. I bought one for our son when he was in college and they will do it all for a very fair price. :beer:

Point Grey
08-18-2010, 08:25 PM
Having an Ottrott for touring is like trying to fit luggage into a Ferrari for a cross country drive. Other than having Serotta make you a fabulous touring bike with S&S couplers for easier travel and flight I would get a Trek 520.

Ahneida Ride
08-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Having an Ottrott for touring is like trying to fit luggage into a Ferrari for a cross country drive.

Amen !!!! :beer:

Peter B
08-18-2010, 10:40 PM
The Ottrott by design will likely constrain you to a seatpost-mount rack and bag. You'll be limited to about 10 lbs of gear + food max for any leg of your trip. Is this a credit card or self-supported tour?

Ignoring your choice in bikes, a nice, light rack is the Tubus Fly. Ortlieb makes fine panniers, as do Arkel, Jandd and others. I did 4 weeks solo in NZ using a Fly rack and the Ortlieb 'back roller plus' panniers, carrying about 20-25 lbs of gear + food. Worked great using ultralight backpacking gear and minimal personal 'stuff'. I stocked up on food late each day, enough for dinner, breakfast and to get me through the morning. After that I'd feed enroute, then repeat.

If you're going solo get yourself a copy of the book 'Pedallers' Paradise' by Nigel Rushton. He's written copies specific to either North or South Island. It is an excellent, concise resource for routes, gradient profiles, towns, food and lodging for each island.

NZ is beautiful! Enjoy your adventure.

Ken Robb
08-18-2010, 11:02 PM
It's unlikely that the chainstays on your bike are long enough for youe heels to clear any rear panniers regardless of any other considerations. You need at least 43cm and probably longer stays.

sg8357
08-19-2010, 07:18 AM
If you are talking about credit card touring, forget the panniers.

If so call Bill Laine at www.wallbike.com.

You'll need to have steel or aluminum rails on your saddle, an aluminum
seat post is a good idea too.

A Bagman Expedition rack and a Carradice Camper long flap saddle bag,
will make a good touring kit. The Bagman fits to the seat rails, the Camper
gives you 24 litres of waterproof storage. Get the Cape roll too, to store
your jacket on the outside of the bag. 200 generations of British touring
cyclists can't be wrong. :)

Scott G. VCC

xjoex
08-19-2010, 08:54 AM
Why not use a trailer and the otrott? If the bike fits... I have a burley nomad and have used it with my seven.

Joe

toasttoast
08-19-2010, 12:06 PM
Why not use a trailer and the otrott? If the bike fits... I have a burley nomad and have used it with my seven.

Joe

if you can buy it in NZ, this sounds like a decent idea. if you have to ship it over, though... probably not worth the hassle

chuckred
08-19-2010, 12:31 PM
I did a 3 week unsupported tour of NZ (mainly South Island) in 1979. Gerry rigged my old Paramount with racks and panniers - it worked, but not well! Would have been safer and more comfortable on a touring bike for sure. No doubt even moreso when comparing today's lightweight race machines!

I don't know what it's like now, but at the time I came to the realization that, given tariffs, etc., in effect, I could have bought a brand new bike in the States, ridden it in NZ, then sold it for a handsome profit. However, I left NZ to spend a couple weeks on Tasmania and still needed the bike! Probably not the same economics anymore though.

Have a great trip and let us know how it goes!

tomisweeney
08-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks for all the help!
Credit card, 3 weeks, south island of NZ, on our own .. 300 - 500 miles/week
no agenda, just ride see NZ and have fun
My wife and I have these bikes that fit so well!?, so comfortable
lots of supported tours, our 1st solo
now more confused, trailer .. or get a different bike??!!
have been trying to get Pedallers Paradise, haven't found it yet

AngryScientist
08-19-2010, 02:29 PM
first off - i'm totally jealous, no matter what bike or luggage combination you choose, this will be a super trip for you, undoubtedly.

solo unsupported - even if you're going to CC route, there are a bunch of things you'll simply need to carry - street clothes and shoes, repair kit, spare tubes, etc. i would think if you packed ultralight enough it could be done with a small seatpost mounted rack and perhaps a large handlebar bag, but a proper rack and panniers would definitely make life easier for you.

good luck, make certain to bring all of us stuck in cubicles back lots of pictures!

sc53
08-19-2010, 02:33 PM
I have an Ottrott, as well as a few other bikes with fenders, racks, panniers etc, and the only way you can carry anything on your Ottrott would be with a Tubus Fly rack and a small to medium (thinking Lone Peak models here) trunk bag. You can't hang panniers from a Fly, or put that much weight on the rear wheel of your Ottrott. With a trunk bag and maybe a Camelbak with lots of stuff pockets, you could get by. You might also fit a small handlebar bag off your bars, something to hold a sandwich, wallet, camera, and tool kit. I love my Ottrott too, but it's not meant to haul a load (except for me).

fiamme red
08-19-2010, 02:36 PM
You can't hang panniers from a FlyYes, you can. But of course, the Ottrott's geometry is not optimized for panniers (especially because of the short chainstays).

fiamme red
08-19-2010, 02:36 PM
traveling to New Zealand, 3 week bike tourRead this:

http://www.blayleys.com/articles/newzealand/index.htm

Bradford
08-19-2010, 04:26 PM
I have done a lot of touring over the last 20 years and I wouldn't do it on a road bike. I have both a Legend and an IF Independence...both great bikes that I love, but I would not tour on the legend. I wouldn't even take it for a supported tour, although it would do just fine. I'd use the touring bike every time.

First, a touring bike handles the weight better, both from a practicality standpoint (braze ons, longer chain stays, 3rd water bottle mount) and from a comfort standpoint. Touring bikes are just better set ups for long days in the saddle than most road bikes. In addition, your Ottrot wheels and components are not likely to be built to handle a load. I have some old school wheels on my Legend with 32 spokes and I'd crush them with a load. The first tour I did caused 4 broken spokes because the stress is a lot different. I also tour on 700x32 to 700x37 tires, depending on the load, which my Legend rims can't take. From a component standpoint, I run a 26/40/51 on my touring bike with a 13-34 on the back and bar ends up front, which is a much better touring rig than the standard crank and STI on my Legend.

I could go on, but will bring up just one more point. On a tour, you will be leaning the bike against signs and buildings as well as leaving it outside your tent. If in hotels, chances are at least a few will not let you bring it into your room. Do you really want to do that to an Ottrot? I wouldn't do it to my legend.

If you go with a touring bike, you have two choices that are pretty good. First is don't worry about money and build something from scratch, and there are plenty of good options. Always the best for touring since you get to choose the right components and the right wheels. But, unless you think you will tour a lot, that may be too much, especially for two bikes. Option two is pick up something used. Lots of folks buy a good bike, do one tour, and then sell it. And for a working bike like a touring bike, you won't care if it has some scratches or wear. As other folks have said, the Trek 520 and Surly LHT are great choices. I also love Cannondale T700/T1000s and toured on one for years. If you are lucky, you can pick up and IF or a Co-Motion for short money.

If you go used, you can probably get your money back when you are done. But I'd keep the bike. I've never understood why more people don't have touring bikes, they are very useful. I use mine to pull my son around in the trailer, do errands, and just have nice long relaxed solo rides. It is also perfect for commuting. I like to throw on the fat tires on and do some mixed pavement/dirt rides over some of the passes in the high country once or twice a year. If I had to choose one over the other, I'd keep the touring bike, and I really can't over state how much I love my Legend. My IF is just a more versatile bike.

For Panniers, there are plenty of good choices. I love my Jandds, but would probably go with Arkels if I bought new ones. I've also toured with cheap Performance bags and they were fine. This is also something you can pick up used. My old Madden Baby Buzzards are still perfect for the front of the bike, so if you could find a set of used Buzzards/Baby Buzzards, you would be in like the butcher's dog. Lots of folks love Ortliebs because they are water proof, so also a great choice. I’ve never liked the one pocket design, but if it rains a lot, water proof is really nice. I just spray water proofing on the outside on mine before every tour, line then with trash bags, and throw on the covers in the rain. So far, that has worked.

For a rack, also a couple of good choices. I have three right now, a Tubus, and old madden, and a Jandd. The Jandd is the best all around, but pretty heavy. The Tubus lacks some features the Jandd has, but is super light. I'd pick one of those. My Jandd front and back are now taking up space on my garage wall and the Tubus front and rear get used, but if I ever did Cross Country, I'd probably use the Jandd back with the Tubus front.

As you outfit this bike, whichever way you go, remember a few things. Light doesn't really matter. Whether you carry 45 or 48 pounds doesn't make a difference at touring speeds. What does matter is that everything you have is A) as bullet proof as you can make it, and B) fixable on the road with tools you have. So, look for bullet proof wheels that you can fix on the fly, bar ends instead of STI, and a sturdy frame that won't flex under load. Also bring the parts you will need (cables, an assortment of bolts, electrical and duct tape) and to tools you will need. And don't forget the fibre spokes, you don't want to be pulling off the rear cog on the side of the road, even if you have the right tools. Also, you will likely be far from a good shop, so you will need a folding spare tire (700x35 will do) and extra tubes.

Good luck, I’d would love to do that trip.

Frankwurst
08-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Bradford offers some great advice. Anything is doable. I rode from Seattle to northern Wisconsin in the mid 70's + other trips with Pletscher rack, two small panniers, a small handlebar bag and a bag of weed. I traveled light, really light. I'd do it all over again tomorrow but I'd be on my Atlantis with a big rack, big panniers, panniers and rack up front and a large handle bar bag. It's better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it. Not to mention a touring bike is a great bike to have in the stable to explore places you wouldn't dare tread on an Ottrott. :beer:

palincss
08-19-2010, 06:43 PM
I mentioned the Surly LHT earlier, an amazing bargain and very widely available, basically any shop that deals with QBP can get you one and many have them in stock.

Another worthy choice is Bruce Gordon's latest, the Taiwanese BLT The "Whole Package" will include a Frame, Fork, Headset, Stem and My 4130 Tubular Racks (made in California) Front and Rear for $975 + shipping and handling" Bruce sez. He goes on, "I am working on having Shimano LX Parts groups so you can build up a complete bike. . The group kit will include all the parts to build up a complete bike (except pedals). They will be in stock in about three weeks at a price under $800.00."
--http://www.bgcycles.com/BasicLoadedTouring.html

Honestly, if you're going to the trouble and expense of traveling halfway around the world for a bike tour, you really owe it to yourself to use a proper touring bike for the trip, atmo, imho, etc., and these are two highly competent and inexpensive choices.

Frankwurst
08-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Sooner or later we will convince you to buy a touring bike. You'll be happy you did and my money says you won't sell it after the fact. They are the SUV's of bicycles. :beer:

palincss
08-19-2010, 08:59 PM
Sooner or later we will convince you to buy a touring bike. You'll be happy you did and my money says you won't sell it after the fact. They are the SUV's of bicycles. :beer:

Or one of these:

http://www.armycadethistory.com/Vernon%20photo%20gallery/Deuce%20and%20a%20half%20exercise%20Rambler%201979 .jpg

Peter B
08-19-2010, 09:37 PM
<snip> You can't hang panniers from a Fly...

Ummm...I did, for 2300 miles/26 days, and with 42.5 chainstays.

Bradford
08-19-2010, 09:49 PM
Another worthy choice is Bruce Gordon's latest, the Taiwanese BLT The "Whole Package" will include a Frame, Fork, Headset, Stem and My 4130 Tubular Racks (made in California) Front and Rear for $975 + shipping and handling" Bruce sez.

This is a great deal on a great bike.

Peter B
08-20-2010, 12:36 AM
`

dawgie
08-20-2010, 01:05 PM
For light touring, you could use a large Carradice seat bag with their Bagman seat rack on just about any bike. The Carradice bag centers your weight much better than a rear rack, so it doesn't affect handling much. I commuted for two years on a De Bernardi racing frame using a Carradice Barley (their smallest bag). However, I agree with the others that something like a LHT would be much better for loaded touring.

spartacus
08-20-2010, 02:57 PM
traveling to New Zealand, 3 week bike tour
? panniers and best rear rack for a serotta ottrott

The idea is not 'orthodox' but it can be done. Changing the stem to a +17 degree rise may help. A seat post with more setback might help too. Try Old Man Mountain for the rack. Keep the bags light and waterproof. Use flexible mtb shoes. The wheels and tires are the issue. Get a strong rear wheel and a stainless steel hub shell (stronger than aluminum - see Chris King). Tire clearance will rather limit your choice of tire and therefore the terrain you can ride on. Never mind, just choose a route with good roads. Experiment with 'split' fenders with fittings that 'reach over' the calipers. Have fun.

Sparts.

Ken Robb
08-20-2010, 04:10 PM
what size are your bikes? That will determine in part what options for luggage are open tp you. Even if something works on your bike it may not work on your wife's bike if it's a different size. Obviously some test fitting/riding is in order before you depart.