PDA

View Full Version : Compact crank recommendations?

jwb96
08-18-2010, 09:02 AM
Thinking about a compact for my 9-speed Shimano bike. Don't want to break the bank with the lightest, ceramic and all that jazz, but do want something decent. What can you recommend?

Thanks,
Jim

Ken Robb
08-18-2010, 09:24 AM
I have Ritchey compact crank on Octalink BB and it works perfectly. If you can find one you only need to swap cranks.

eddief
08-18-2010, 09:30 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=76798&highlight=alpina

PaulE
08-18-2010, 09:44 AM
If you want a good quality, inexpensive 9 speed specific Shimano compact crank, the Shimano FC 4550-S is a good choice, but you will need to buy the Shimano hollow-tech outboard bottom bracket cups to go with it. The crank arms only say "Shimano" on them, and the chainrings are aluminum with the big ring having the same pattern/style as the standard 9 speed Ultegra big chain ring.

oldpotatoe
08-18-2010, 10:06 AM
Thinking about a compact for my 9-speed Shimano bike. Old-fashioned bottom bracket. Don't want to break the bank with the lightest, ceramic and all that jazz, but do want something decent. What can you recommend?

Thanks,
Jim

I've seen Campagnolo square taper, like Veloce on ebay for $30 or so, need a Campagnolo 111mm BB,

gdw
08-18-2010, 11:27 AM
There usually are new Sugino XDs available on Ebay or from shops if you want to spend a little extra.

bfd
08-18-2010, 12:19 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=76798&highlight=alpina

Good deal for an excellent crank. Uses square bb, but so what?! If you need lighter, get yourself a Phil ti! Good Luck!

jwb96
08-18-2010, 01:24 PM
I probably shouldn't have said "old fashioned bottom bracket." Don't have any desire to go with square-taper. Just mean it's not a press-fit, new-fangled carbon frame bottom bracket.

AngryScientist
08-18-2010, 04:10 PM
i just bought a nice athena UT for about 150 from ribble. works great. ribble right now has excellent crankset deals.

palincss
08-18-2010, 04:32 PM
I probably shouldn't have said "old fashioned bottom bracket." Don't have any desire to go with square-taper. Just mean it's not a press-fit, new-fangled carbon frame bottom bracket.

So what do you like?

They went from square taper to Isis which didn't hold up and to Octalink and when that didn't hold up to Octalink 2.0 and when that didn't hold up to outboard bearings; and I might be wrong but as far as I can tell now that's getting passe as well. Do any of the replacements work any better, or hold up as well as, a Phil or a Shimano or a Campagnolo square taper bottom bracket?

bikemoore
08-18-2010, 04:44 PM
The only time I've ever ruined a crank was with a square taper. Worked its way loose somehow and by the time I noticed it, the square hole was already rounded and ruined.....bye-bye those cranks.

BTW, I put a Ritchey WCS on my Ultegra 9 group and like that well enough. Its a nice crank...though I actually don't like the compact gearing. I put it on this bike as experiment and found that I prefer the 39/53.

bigreen505
08-18-2010, 04:47 PM
I have been very happy with Sram Rival and actually have a 175 for sale as I just moved up to a 180 (also Rival). Not super light, especially compared with Zipp or Dura Ace, but as stiff as anything.

rice rocket
08-18-2010, 05:16 PM
Rival or Shimano R700 would be my vote.

Rival is good, bottom brackets supposedly "need work" on SRAM's side. Rival stuff goes for $125, and then add a BB.

The R700 is good as well, about the same price as the Rival and you can pickup Dura-Ace 7900 bottom brackets for $30 on Amazon.

Ralph
08-18-2010, 05:52 PM
I also like the $30-35 new Compact Veloce square taper cranksets you find on E Bay. Just use a symetrical 111 MM Campy BB, Centaur or Veloce, and you're good to go. Snug it up a time or two after each ride, and it stays tight. Nothing really better. Some have more snob appeal.

sean
08-19-2010, 12:37 AM
Good deal for an excellent crank. Uses square bb, but so what?! If you need lighter, get yourself a Phil ti! Good Luck!

I have this crankset that I used to upgrade an older suntour 8sp setup. Works great, shifts nice and still has a classic look.

The only watchout is my Suntour derailleur cage was too long and there was tons of chain rub with the new setup. Ended up having to grab a compact FD as well. From what I understand, some FD's will work, some wont.

rickbb
08-19-2010, 06:11 AM
Another vote for the Shimano FC-R700. Deals to be had on these since Shimano introduced DA/Ultegra compacts.

Louis
08-19-2010, 09:23 AM
Snug it up a time or two after each ride, and it stays tight. Nothing really better.

Ralph,

Is this a joke? Anything that has to be tightened after each ride has no business being on a bicycle. Let's say I tighten the crank after my forty mile rides during the week, then I decide to ride a century next Saturday. Does that mean I have to bring my tools to tighten it twice during the ride?

I would stay far, far away from a crank + BB that required this sort of attention.

Louis

Ralph
08-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Ralph,

Is this a joke? Anything that has to be tightened after each ride has no business being on a bicycle. Let's say I tighten the crank after my forty mile rides during the week, then I decide to ride a century next Saturday. Does that mean I have to bring my tools to tighten it twice during the ride?

I would stay far, far away from a crank + BB that required this sort of attention.

Louis

Either you misread, or I wasn't clear. It's important to TQ a Campy square taper BB to, I believe....gotta check the instruction book, 70 NM or about 51 FT lbs (600 " lbs). Then for the next ride or so, I just double check that with a long arm allen wrench to make it sure it won't still barely tighten. Only for a ride or two after installation. My experience is....the cranks don't move, but sometimes the bolts will still snug up juat a tad. This is very basic bike maintenance...and anyone who rides a bike regularly would know to do this, and have the tools to do it with. Even with UT, I still check the TQ after a couple rides. If you wallowed out some crank arms, that's why. Every sq taper I'm ridden since early 70's are like this. Shimano, Sugino, and Campy. You have to check the bolts. Pedals also.

Louis
08-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Pedals also.

Now I know you're joking.

For a moment you really had me. ;)

Ralph
08-19-2010, 12:45 PM
I always carry about 2-3 lbs of tools and parts with me on my daily rides. I'm constantly putting pedals back on, crank arms back on, reattaching derailleur cables, putting chains back together, fixing flats, etc. I'm constantly surprised at how many people on hi end bikes don't know that bolts work loose and the basics of maintaining their bikes. It doesn't matter the brand. I would never go off on a long ride without checking my bike out. And I don't go too long without checking my bikes over for regular daily rides.

And I'm really amazed when I read about someone on here paying their LBS to install a groupo, change a cassette, adjust their derailleurs, installing a crankset, etc. This is basic stuff.

acorn_user
08-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Another vote for a Campag square taper compact. I have a Mirage on my cross bike, and it has been great. I'd pick Veloce or Centaur if I wanted a nicer finish. Otherwise, I'd buy a Sugino or Stronglight crank for the exotic value :)

TMB
08-19-2010, 05:18 PM
So what do you like?

They went from square taper to Isis which didn't hold up and to Octalink and when that didn't hold up to Octalink 2.0 and when that didn't hold up to outboard bearings; and I might be wrong but as far as I can tell now that's getting passe as well. Do any of the replacements work any better, or hold up as well as, a Phil or a Shimano or a Campagnolo square taper bottom bracket?

No.

No they don't.

WayneJ
08-19-2010, 08:51 PM
No.

No they don't.

Absolutely nothing wrong with square taper BB and cranks. I've ridden them longer than some forum members have been present on this earth and have not had ANY problems.

TMB
08-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Absolutely nothing wrong with square taper BB and cranks. I've ridden them longer than some forum members have been present on this earth and have not had ANY problems.

Perhaps you mis-understood my response.

palincss
08-19-2010, 08:56 PM
I think he's agreeing with you.

TMB
08-19-2010, 08:59 PM
I think he's agreeing with you.

Could be right.

Ooops.

RFC
08-20-2010, 01:50 AM
I have Ritchey compact crank on Octalink BB and it works perfectly. If you can find one you only need to swap cranks.

+1 I have the Ritchey on two bikes. Flawless and minimal. Check out ebay.

oldpotatoe
08-20-2010, 09:08 AM
I also like the $30-35 new Compact Veloce square taper cranksets you find on E Bay. Just use a symetrical 111 MM Campy BB, Centaur or Veloce, and you're good to go. Snug it up a time or two after each ride, and it stays tight. Nothing really better. Some have more snob appeal.

Or torque to spec on dry spindles and leave alone. No need to 'snug it up a time or two after each ride', unless it was not installed correctly the first time.

Ralph
08-20-2010, 10:10 AM
Maybe I'm not TQ ing enough. My old TQ wrench is old, maybe need to check it for correctness.