PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts after driving across America

MattTuck
08-17-2010, 07:04 PM
My wife and I spent last week driving from Boston to Seattle.

Thanks to those who had suggestions and advice.

Among the highlights:

Drove LONG hours the first few days. First day we stopped in Michigan, Second night in Minneapolis, Third night in rapid city, then slightly shorter days to Bozeman (for 2 nights), Spokane, then Seattle.

We drove I-90 most of the way. We went into Ontario (north of lake Erie) thinking it would be faster. The delays at the border were horrendous. If you're going to try something like that, invest in the Nexus pass. We found out too late.

The day on our way to Rapid City, we hit Hawkeye Point, which we summited without supplemental oxygen. It's the highest point in Iowa and was actually kind of amusing.

South Dakota was great. We overlapped with the Sturgis bike rally, so there were motorcycles EVERYWHERE. I knew there would be a lot of them, but there were way more than I ever imagined.

I see why the two Laconia, NH and Sturgis, SD host bike rallies. No helmet laws. The one thing that was hard to take was that SD still allows smoking in restaurants. haven't eaten in one of those in a long time (haha, I sound like an east coast liberal elite)

The great irony of the trip is that we have tons of pictures of the side of the road, and NOT ONE SINGLE picture of a sign for wall drug. I've never seen such over the top promotion by billboard. They must have started 150 miles before Wall Drug.

We hit up the Badlands (called that because early trappers called them "the bad lands to travel through"), and that was definitely amazing to see. Lots of motorcyles. Would be a great place to ride a bike in the later season when all the tourists had left.

We climbed Harney Peak in the Black Hills, highest point in South Dakota and the highest point between the rockies and the Pyrennes. It is a cheap hike, 7000+ feet altitude, but the trail head is at about 6000. So didn't take too much time and was a nice break from driving.

Also saw Devil's Tower which is pretty amazing. Again, lots of motorcycles. We didn't stick around for long, despite the bikini clad troupe of motorcycle girls.

Bozeman was great. Met Dave Kirk and saw his shop. He humored my wife and I for a good while as I asked him stupid questions about frame building and lotus automobiles, and he gave us great insights on what to do for a day in Yellowstone. All his suggestions turned out to be right on. Ate at MacKenzie River Pizza company in Bozeman, good eats.

In yellowstone we saw wolves, bison and elk, saw some of the areas that suffered forest fires, and took a quick look at the hot springs.

Dave Kirk also filled me in on something I was trying to figure out for about 200 miles of driving. I kept seeing these weird fences and grates on the roads. Dave explained they were to keep cattle off the roads, or off your property.

After Bozeman, as we drove on Rt. 90, we were listening to a book on CD called "the Big Burn" which is about a huge forest fire in 1910, Teddy Roosevelt, Gifford Pinchot and the establishment of US National Forests and the US Forest Service. This was an amazing experience, because the book is literally talking about Missoula, and Butte, MT and Couer D'alene and Wallace, ID as we're driving through the very forests and towns they were talking about! Very cool.

We stopped for lunch in CDA, but didn't stick around for long.

Instead of driving straight from Spokane to Seattle, we went down through the Yakima Valley for a little wine tasting. We hit up a few vineyards in Prosser and Zillah. Good times and definitely a different feel from California tasting rooms.

So, now in Seattle. Getting settled, will probably go out for my first ride tomorrow morning.

Overall, a great trip. Long days of driving but I'd never seen the middle of the country (except at 30,000 ft) and had a great time! Special shout out Dave Kirk and the folks on this forum that gave me ideas/advice! You made the trip much better.

bironi
08-17-2010, 07:19 PM
What's your ride in the morning? :beer:

indyrider
08-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Ate at MacKenzie River Pizza company in Bozeman, good eats.

My fave is/was sundried tomato and smoked trout....mmm mmm good, especially after spending ten day trips for four seasons at 8,000 ft in a tent with oatmeal and noodles...Mac was my first stop everytime I left the trailhead...

MattTuck
08-17-2010, 07:23 PM
What's your ride in the morning? :beer:

I'm at 7th & Westlake. So I'll probably ride over to 1st, then up to Broad and the Olympic Sculpture Park, and then along that Bike path as far as I can go. Still figuring out the city, so I'll probably wait until this weekend to cross the bridge to Mercer Island, or beyond the lake.

BengeBoy
08-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Harney Peak in the Black Hills...the highest point between the rockies and the Pyrennes.

One of my *very* favorite things in life is cluttering my brain with useless trivia.

Thank you very much for adding to the collection.

MattTuck
08-17-2010, 07:44 PM
My pleasure.

Link the plaque (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/DBk5CqAAx2uq1qaV_NnNE9eAOlQZgJ6zgBbf9L-SOQI?feat=directlink)

One of my *very* favorite things in life is cluttering my brain with useless trivia.

Thank you very much for adding to the collection.

weisan
08-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Matt-pal, cool trip, one that you and your wife will remember for a long time.

TMB
08-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Aaaahh,

But did you cross the Roger's Pass??

( little known factoid for Benge Boy's benefit - Roger's Pass. There is one in BC. One in Montana. Named after the same man. Can you think of any other person who has two passes, in two countries, named after him????)

Louis
08-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Thanks for sharing the road trip.

While in college I drove with two buddies from San Diego to Hanover in three days. Lots of driving, no sight-seeing, other than what you could see from the car. The Texas panhandle at 3 AM is not an easy place to drive...

rcnute
08-17-2010, 11:27 PM
I'm at 7th & Westlake. So I'll probably ride over to 1st, then up to Broad and the Olympic Sculpture Park, and then along that Bike path as far as I can go. Still figuring out the city, so I'll probably wait until this weekend to cross the bridge to Mercer Island, or beyond the lake.

Follow the path for a mile or so. You'll pass the Interbay train tracks. The trail will reach a point where it curves left; the fence on the right ends and you want to go right through the opening and go next to the train tracks on your right. The road goes uphill slightly. Go straight and turn right on Dravus at the light. Go straight through the next light and left at the second light shortly thereafter. That's 15th. Go straight and cross the Ballard Bridge (be careful--narrow ped/bike path) and turn right where it ends. Go two blocks and turn right. You should see the Ballard Fred Meyer. Go left on the bike path in front of Fred Meyer. That's the Burke Gilman trail. It's about thirty miles long and winds around the west side of Lake Washington and north and east to Redmond.

Ray
08-18-2010, 05:36 AM
Or if you haven't ridden the ferries yet, just hop down to the downtown ferry dock and ride over to Bainbridge. There are some nice loops over there - prettier than riding in the city or on the Burke Gilman, imho. And the ferry ride is a real trip when you're new to it - after a while people start sleeping through it but if you've never ridden the ferries on a nice day, its a real treat.

I'm jealous - lived in Seattle for years and now only get out for brief visits.

-Ray

William
08-18-2010, 05:46 AM
Or if you haven't ridden the ferries yet, just hop down to the downtown ferry dock and ride over to Bainbridge. There are some nice loops over there - prettier than riding in the city or on the Burke Gilman, imho. And the ferry ride is a real trip when you're new to it - after a while people start sleeping through it but if you've never ridden the ferries on a nice day, its a real treat.

I'm jealous - lived in Seattle for years and now only get out for brief visits.

-Ray

+100

As a kid we used to ride the small ferry from Steilacoom to Fox and Anderson islands to ride bikes. I always love riding the big ferries out of Seattle and Anacortes into the San Juans.

William

Pete Serotta
08-18-2010, 05:52 AM
Thanks for sharing it with us. PETE

victoryfactory
08-18-2010, 06:08 AM
MattTuck:

Welcome to the cross country driving club. I first did it after I
quit school in 1969. In a red Triumph TR4-A

In those days you could still follow old Rt 66 most of the way.

This experience woke me, changed me and formed my life like nothing else.

To this day, I drive across the country every year. I continue to learn and
look forward to the trip.

As I write this, I have maps spread out all over the room with route and stops
planned for this year's trip (leaving on Sept 26th)

Some people (like most of my friends) see this as a nutty, boring waste of time.
To me, it's like unlimited trips to the salad bar of life. A never fail battery charge for
the spirit.

The wide open spaces of the west have magic, silence, majesty, peace
and when you pull over at midnight and look up at the milky way you get
a sense of wonder that makes it all worthwhile.

Even just hearing about someone else's cross country drive gives me chills.

Thanks

VF

PS: Be careful riding across those cattle guards!

wasfast
08-18-2010, 08:32 AM
I've pondered all the open space we have in the west when flying over it, going either direction. I think about all the intercity crowding and gang violence. Perhaps we should just round up the gangs and drop them in the middle of nowhere to fight it out. Certainly make the cities nicer. Why do we have to fight over a couple blocks when there's 10's of thousands of acres with nobody there?

sc53
08-18-2010, 08:40 AM
VF and MattTuck--the wonder of a cross country road trip is definitely something to look forward to; I wish I could do one every year like VF. My first trip west of Kentucky was in 1978 when a friend and I drove her little Datsun pickup from NYC to Santa Fe using as many non-interstates as we could. She was training for the NYC marathon in the fall so we'd stop twice every day in some scenic spot for her to put in her miles and me to follow along after a while in the truck to pick her up en route. I have never seen so many cool towns, railroad tracks, fallen down barns and bars, old time two-pump gas stations in the middle of nowhere, juke joints, and cows. I would love to do that trip again. Going south along the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway all the way to Cherokee NC before heading west into Tennessee was one of many highlights. Oh yeah, we camped in KOA campgrounds too! Another slice o'Americana for the memory banks.

OtayBW
08-18-2010, 09:13 AM
...I kept seeing these weird fences and grates on the roads. Dave explained they were to keep cattle off the roads, or off your property....City boy!...Hawww! :D

jlwdm
08-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Matt:

Veloce Velo a great bike shop in Issaquah is opening a second store on Mercer Island (primarily road bikes) the 27th and 28th. You might want to check it out.

Veloce Velo Opening (http://www.velocevelo.com/announcements/mercer-island-grand-opening-aug-2728/)

Jeff

MattTuck
08-18-2010, 09:37 AM
A few additional thoughts...

I had seen the middle of the country from planes before, and always wondered about those circular fields. Seeing the actual irrigation devices on the ground was pretty interesting... if for no other reason than every time that I see a circular field, I'll have a better understanding of what's going on on the ground.

A spot in Iowa was the only gas station that didn't have pay at the pump with a credit card. Going into the store and interacting with the store clerks became half the fun. You certainly pick up some local flavor. After that, even if we could pay at the pump, I'd still go in and interact with folks at the register in the other places we stopped.

I'll check out Bainbridge, maybe this weekend, I still need to get a little more acquainted with the city before I leave it.

And some more trivia for you Benge, (you may already know this) the Yakima Valley of Washington produces 75% of the US Hops supply and about 25% of the world's. So all you bear drinkers, lift your glass to my new temporary state of WA.

Oh, and finally, saw so many Harley riders with ear plugs in. I kinda wanted to stop them and ask, "if you need ear plugs, how do you think the pedestrians on the road feel when you drive by them and your exhaust pipes are actually POINTED at them?"

chuckred
08-18-2010, 01:49 PM
I can't hear you...!

I

, "if you need ear plugs, how do you think the pedestrians on the road feel when you drive by them and your exhaust pipes are actually POINTED at them?"

Karin Kirk
08-18-2010, 04:19 PM
I've pondered all the open space we have in the west when flying over it, going either direction. I think about all the intercity crowding and gang violence. Perhaps we should just round up the gangs and drop them in the middle of nowhere to fight it out. Certainly make the cities nicer. Why do we have to fight over a couple blocks when there's 10's of thousands of acres with nobody there?

There's an idea that is sure to work out well. :cool:

Matt, sounds like a grand adventure! Sorry I missed your stay in Bozeman.