PDA

View Full Version : Lance Sighting In Ojai, Ca

LONE RIDER
04-12-2005, 12:25 PM
Just an update: Yes, I was there spectating at a little known race in its second year in Ojai, Ca. The Garrett Lemire Memorable Grand Prix. Garrett was hit by a car and died at a race in Arizona. Evidently Lance flew in to Ca. on Friday and asked around for a local race (remember, he did a cyclocross in Jan or Feb of this year). He was told of this race and SHOWED UP. After a three hour training ride in the hills of Ojai he made his way to the starting line and rode the 90 min race finishing a strong 15th (probably being kind to the locals). And, yes, Sheryl and the kids were there too, Lance asking prior to agreeing to show up if there were any activities for the kids while he raced (they had fun on a Jolly Jumper). After the race he was partially mobbed by the locals, including me, and I was able to get an autograph. The man was a total gentleman and happily signed autographs for all comers (hadn't even taken his helmet off yet). All in all a great day. You can see photos at shorelinecycles.com (http://shorelinecycles.com)

700 x 23c
04-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Nice story...it is amazing sometimes how approachable the pro racers can be. :banana:

I went to a local race this weekend to watch a friend race. He is a pro, between races, and was not allowed to race in the Cat 1/2 field. Sure, lots of people came to talk to him (and he was very friendly), but race with him...nope. He offered to just ride and not get into the mix of things, but no go. I don't know all the classifications of being a pro, but apparently, he was "too good" to race in this field (other "lower" pro's, were allowed in).

It is a shame, that a race would turn away a good guy who even offered, not to "race." Similar to your story, he too was just going to race in the middle of his training ride (ride for a few hours, race, and then ride for a few more).

yeehawfactor
04-12-2005, 09:19 PM
that's awesome. although i'm sure someone will still say that he didn't look so good even though he trained for 3 hours first :rolleyes:

IXXI
04-12-2005, 10:45 PM
Great story; love to hear these! Restores a bit of faith in humanity when you hear about a celeb/pro mixing it up with the locals and being cool about it. Can you even imagine how psyched the guys who came in 1 thru 14 are and can say they "beat" Lance?! How stoked they've got to be.

As close as I can come is that I can still say I beat him out of the water in a triathlon once, long long ago. That's as close to glory as I've ever come-- and of course it was way before Lance was LANCE(tm).

toaster
04-13-2005, 12:25 AM
Oh yeah, I was there. The Garrett LeMire Grand Prix is a stellar event. The people responsible for putting on this show should be given a lot of credit. The only problem was an excitable announcer who dominated the microphone and staging and primes were not being announced clearly in amateur races.

Lance Armstrong around Ventura and Santa Barbara counties is getting quite common. Lots of my buddies have ridden with him, and raced with him too.