PDA

View Full Version : odd dropouts and trailer fit

akelman
08-17-2010, 06:26 PM
So, I've got a bit of a problem. The hitch (http://www.amazon.com/Burley-Bicycle-Trailer-Standard-Forged/dp/B001GSMUDA/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1282085005&sr=8-2-fkmr0) for a Burley trailer won't fit into the dropouts on my Ibis Silk Ti (I can't seem to find an image of the dropouts -- sorry). Does anyone know of a solution? I think what I probably need is the name of a good machine shop or a builder who will make me something that will fit properly and yet be durable enough to last more than a couple of rides. Anyway, thanks in advance for your thoughts.

firerescuefin
08-17-2010, 06:50 PM
If those are breezer drop outs which I think they are...good luck. I have the same hitch for my chariot and you would have some serious modifications to make.

dogdriver
08-17-2010, 07:02 PM
Find a REAL LONG QR skewer (the one that comes with the Trek Doodlebug trailer is at least 145mm long and there have to be some others out there). Get a stack of washers or a spacer that will fit on the skewer but are small enough to be contained inside the dropout, stack thick enough so that they get outboard of the dropout, mount the hitch piece outboard of the washer sandwich, and you're in business!

Or, buy a beater bike to tow the kids with.

Had a similar problem with a previous mountain bike and the above worked fine, albeit a little ugly.

firerescuefin
08-17-2010, 07:05 PM
I am not sure that dogdriver's solution will work with that hitch and the breezer dropout, but I have one of those crazy long skewers and its yours if you want it. You just owe me a cup of coffee/or a beer if we ever meet ;)

The beater bike suggestion may be a better one.

buck-50
08-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Burley sells a different hitch for bikes that can't use the standard small hitch. It's bigger and I believe it clamps onto the seatstay and chainstay. It's big and ugly, but it should work if the other can't. Here's a link to the hitch- http://www.bikekidshop.com/burley-trailer-classic-hitch-p-1253.html

indyrider
08-17-2010, 07:22 PM
definitely breezer drops. you need to find a clamp that attaches only to the chainstays...does this have discs??? If not i might have a clamp that you can try, as most of the trailer brands can swap clamping mechanisms

akelman
08-17-2010, 07:59 PM
The hitch that $1.50 suggests is both a pain and also somewhat dysfunctional, as my heel smacks it regularly. The other clamping options sound like they're worth a try. Or I can continue what I've been doing: towing the trailer with my road bike. Sigh.

csm
08-17-2010, 08:02 PM
burley makes a thing that adapts them for use with disc brakes... perhaps that would work?