PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Ridden Mavic K10's?

winarabbit
08-16-2010, 03:34 PM
Just wondering if anyone has given these a go? Seems likes a interesting concept.

Pete Serotta
08-16-2010, 04:19 PM
I have ridden a pair for about 50 miles before I became ill.

Usually I ride the Krysium ones but got a pair of these in JUNE.

NIce looks and I like the ride...

Some folks do not like MAVIC K for they say they ride harsh and the rear cassette holder bushing needs to be lubed periodically or it wears.

I like all K wheels including the one you mention. I have seem a few MAVIC that the bushing in the back cassette holder had not been maintained and it was problematic for a few but I have never had a problem.

PETE

oldpotatoe
08-17-2010, 08:09 AM
Just wondering if anyone has given these a go? Seems likes a interesting concept.

I think it's amazing that they hold onto the really crappy FTS rear hub/freehub design, even on zillion dollar wheels. Modern wheels have 3 pawls and bearings. FTS have 2 pawls and 1 bearing and this plastic bushing that requires frequent clean and oiling(NOT grease or it won't freewheel).

In this era of the 'standard' being wheelsouttaboxes', I'd think Mavic would design a better rear hub.

Pete Serotta
08-17-2010, 09:51 AM
I would love to see them design the hub differently but they are French and suggestions to them are always an uphill sell :) :)

Kane
08-17-2010, 10:20 PM
Finally, someone did a beautiful job of criticizing Mavic wheels. Their hubs suck :butt:.
The plastic bushing is ridiculous. The pawels are quiet, but the engagment is especially weak on a mountain bike.
Proprietary spokes are problematic if you ever have any kind of spoke misfortune.
The rims on the other hand are especially good.
Hadley hubs, Mavic rims, DT spokes . . . that's a nice wheel.
Cheers.

Pete Serotta
08-18-2010, 08:52 AM
I have about a 1000 miles on these and have really liked the ride and the looks.

ALso have a pair of tubeless but have not felt an advantage in riding for me -- SPOKES has and he loves his :bike: :bike: