PDA

View Full Version : OT - milkweed for butterflies

Dekonick
08-15-2010, 06:13 PM
I don't know about you, but I enjoy butterflies. The Monarch is in trouble because of a cold snap that killed something like 3/4 of the migrating population a few years back... and now milkweed is becoming hard for them to find. I just bought 50 seeds and am going to plant them in my back yard. Hope they help... you can too!

Free seeds are available from http://www.livemonarch.org/

It just seems like so many of the little things I remember as a kid are in trouble these days... from frogs (they are in trouble from a fungus) to butterflies. Who knew?

Some of the best parts of riding include taking in nature. I sure wish the Chesapeake Bay had clear water like it did when the colonies were founded... with lots of grasses and oysters. Crabs seem in short supply... Rockfish are harder to catch... lesions are forming on the few fish you can catch. It is a sad state of affairs.

Rant over.

oliver1850
08-15-2010, 10:02 PM

konstantkarma
08-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Lots of milkweed and frogs on my property in Harford County. It also seems like we've had a good crop of monarchs this year. Especially on the Butterfly Bushes and Astilbe. Also lots of American Wood Toads. Many live in my garage along with the deer mice.

Louis
08-15-2010, 10:11 PM
A few years ago I got a butterfly bush for my garden. The first two years we had dry summers. I almost lost it and was concerned that it wouldn't come back in the spring. The last two years it has been growing like crazy and is now more than 6 feet tall and has completely taken over the corner where I put it.

Needless to say, the butterflies love it.