PDA

View Full Version : found MY plastic B17 substitute

eddief
08-15-2010, 05:05 PM
i know our butts are all different. well i really don't know that...but i have found the 2010 Fizik Aliante Gamma round Kium rails to be a fine feeling butt holder. on our first ride together we did 50 miles and felt pretty damn good the whole time. did another 10 today and tweaked angle, height, and set back by a few mm's a few times. finally.

spendy lil fkers:
http://www.bikewagon.com/Fizik-Aliante-Gamma-XM/Saddles-Seatposts/Saddles/Other-Rail-p8148660.html

Secosera
08-15-2010, 05:34 PM
Congrats.

I tried the Aliante and was very happy at the 50 mile mark. After 50 though it went downhill and fast. At mile 60 I was standing up every 30 seconds or so. I hope you have better luck than I. I'm still looking for my Swift substitute.

Sean

palincss
08-15-2010, 06:16 PM
I'm still looking for my Swift substitute.

Why? If the Swift is it, why bother looking for a substitute?

hankchong
08-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Depending on what made the Aliante uncomfortable after mile 50, you might want to try the Fizik Vitesse (women's saddle). It's the same shape as the Aliante, but wider. I've been riding Vitesses since I serendipitously discovered them when the first road bike I bought came with one. I have no experience with Swifts, and recently purchased (but have not yet ridden) an Aliante from a fellow forumite to see if the extra width is necessary for me. The Vitesse is worth a try if width is the cause for discomfort. Plus, their relatively inexpensive compared to most saddles.

RADaines
08-15-2010, 07:09 PM
It's the same shape as the Aliante, but wider. .

Sorry, but the Vitesse is nothing like the Aliante in shape. The Vitesse is indeed wider, but it does not have the wave shape of the Aliante. The Vitesse is much flatter.

eddief
08-15-2010, 07:35 PM
the top profile looks alot the same. sort of hammmocky. and then curves down the sides next to the thighs is a bit narrower, but smooth as in the B17. not trying to convince, just glad to have found a waterproof-ish sub.

hankchong
08-15-2010, 07:53 PM
I stand corrected. The Vitesse is flatter than the Aliante. But, I wouldn't go so far as to say that they're nothing alike in shape. I'll have first hand experience in comparing the two once I receive my Aliante, and post my impressions once I've had ample time on the Aliante.

eddief
08-15-2010, 08:16 PM
think the 2010 Aliante Gamma is wider than the rest and supposedly directed at the suspension mt bike market. not sure how you design a saddle for a suspended bike, but works for me in my upright position on my coupled Riv Rambouillet.

Louis
08-15-2010, 10:16 PM
Unless you've fallen in love with a classic like a Swift or a Regal, I suggest that when you finally find something that works for your butt you go out and buy about 10 of them and place them in storage. You can be certain that before long somebody in marketing or in product development will come up with an "improvement" that completely ruins the saddle, at which point your will be SOL.

Louis

Secosera
08-16-2010, 07:59 AM

Ohh, I still ride the Swift on my Fuso, and another is going on my Paul Taylor when it arrives. I'd never give that saddle up. But I need a substitute for my carbon bike and so far the closest I've found is a Selle Italia Gel Flow, and it's still not as good as the Swift.

dawgie
08-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Sorry, but the Vitesse is nothing like the Aliante in shape. The Vitesse is indeed wider, but it does not have the wave shape of the Aliante. The Vitesse is much flatter.

I think you are overstating the differences. I owned an Aliante for a while, and liked the shape but found it too narrow. Replaced it with a Vitesse I got in a trade, and found it to be perfect. The shape is very similar to the Aliante except wider. Perhaps it doesn't dip as much in the middle, but it is not perfectly flat, which I can confirm with a straight-edge.

palincss
08-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Ohh, I still ride the Swift on my Fuso, and another is going on my Paul Taylor when it arrives. I'd never give that saddle up. But I need a substitute for my carbon bike and so far the closest I've found is a Selle Italia Gel Flow, and it's still not as good as the Swift.

Why?

buck-50
08-16-2010, 12:32 PM
They're kinda ridiculously expensive and they aren't something you want to ride in the rain (even with fenders) would be my reasons for looking for a substitute.

Secosera
08-16-2010, 07:57 PM
Why?

It's too heavy? It doesn't come in white? Umm...I'm insecure? :D

Pretty much what was said above. It also doesn't look right to me. And everyone knows aesthetics are the most important part of cycling.

Sean

rice rocket
08-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Aliante Deltas are relatively inexpensive on eBay. I got mine for $35 + shipping, brand new. The Deltas only come OEM on bikes, one step down from the Gammas (doesn't have the carbon-look on the bottom :rolleyes: ), one step up from the Aliante Sport (Sport doesn't have wing flex).

Back to back against my Aliante Carbon, it's almost indistinguishable. More vibrations can be felt through the Kium rails, but that's more a function of the rails.