PDA

View Full Version : Where do you put your money (for cycling) and Why?

1happygirl
08-15-2010, 12:16 AM
Getting motivated to ride again after a while and make the time to do it.

Was wondering, What organizations / clubs / associations do you put your money? Why do you put it there instead of another club?

I want to support cycling in a monetary way (even though I know volunteering and time is more valuable-eg cleaning a trail etc). So where should I put it so to speak?

I look at charity navigator and most (adventure cycling assoc etc) are not tax deductible (not my main reason but hey even the NRA is a 503 (c)). Adventure cycling is $1500 for a lifetime membership but at that rate I'd need to cycle a long long time. I went to Oregon recently and ponied up for GEARS ($12 a yr) even though I will probably never go to a GEARS event. So...

Where do you put yours? (Money that is) to support cycling? How do you decide? I'll go broke if I send money to all the cool clubs I want to every year that I see.

WickedWheels
08-15-2010, 12:26 AM
To be perfectly honest I'd rather find out how people on this forum are investing. I would imagine that there are some very smart people that could chime in with some really great investment tips on this forum. Not quite insider trading kind of stuff, but... you know....

Any chance that Warren Buffett is lurker on here?

1happygirl
08-15-2010, 12:29 AM
Man. People are up late.

RE: Wicked Wheels hahahah

at least it was a bike related question :rolleyes:

dogdriver
08-15-2010, 09:30 AM
IMHO-- pick one local org and give it some love. Here's ours:

http://www.mountaintrails.org/

Another alternative might be an org that advocates for road and neighborhood building codes that include breakdown lanes and bike-friendly paths/trails in conjunction with new development.

Best, Chris

rugbysecondrow
08-15-2010, 10:18 AM
I found a local group ( in DC) that takes inner city kids mountain biking and riding .... Prett cool to expose these kids to not only riding but the great outdoors.