PDA

View Full Version : OT: The Perfect Album? if you had to pick...

dimsy
08-14-2010, 06:57 PM
I'd love to hear everyone's take on this. If you had to choose TWO CDs/LPs/Albums that from front to back gives you chills, makes you weep, smile, excited, or has a powerful impact on you in any way shape or form, please list it. I could think of many, but if I only had to pick two, they'd be...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bjVjNlkwtQQ/SRFdX4ekXyI/AAAAAAAAC0M/vfBDC2My7V8/s400/ASTRAL+WEEKS.jpg

van morrison's astral weeks came into my life at a very tumultuous time, after having had my heart broken (1st and only time ever) this CD comforted me every night.

and the other is...

http://katarney.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/joanna-newsom-ys.jpg

joanna newsom's sophomore LP, YS. When I heard her live, her music made me cry. for most people it's hit or miss, she's got this voice that you either love or hate, however, the content of her music was just profound.

I listed two because honestly, how can you narrow it down to just one?

what are you favorites?

LegendRider
08-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Grateful Dead
Winterland
June 7, 8 and 9, 1977

eddief
08-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Jackson Browne's first album - Saturate Before Using (song for adam)
Joni Mitchell - Blue (songs are like tattoos) (i could drink a case of you)

don'TreadOnMe
08-14-2010, 07:22 PM
my bloody valentine "loveless"
john coltrane "a love supreme"

joelh
08-14-2010, 07:26 PM
U2- The Joshua Tree
The Who- Who's Next

Both absolutely breathtaking top to bottom

Jackson Brown-The Pretender would be next

Ray
08-14-2010, 07:33 PM
There's nothing that's been mentioned that I wouldn't rank really really high, particularly Coltrane and the Dead. But if I gotta pick one, its gonna be "Exile on Main St." by the Stones. I love that album far more now than I did when it first came out - in one sense its pretty basic blues rock, but it seems like I'm finding new layers in it all the time. Always being surprised by some subtle detail of one of the riffs or the way the guitars play against each other or weave together. Just about as good and basic AND as sophisticated as rock ever got for my money and I grew up with rock, so as much as I love other stuff too, that's the stuff I gotta go with if I'm picking just one.

And its a double album too, so its sort of two for the price of one.

-Ray

FlashUNC
08-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Two for me are Beach Boys' Pet Sounds, and Springsteen's Born to Run.

Just incredible from front to back.

PBWrench
08-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Let's add to that impressive list:

Blood on the Tracks (Bobby Zimmerman)

and

Layla (Derek and the Dominoes)

rugbysecondrow
08-14-2010, 07:58 PM
This was hard especially since I am a huge Jim Croce fan, but I chose "You don't mess with Jim". Operator, Time in a Bottle, New Yorks not my home, Rapid Roy, walking back to Georgia....greatness!!!

I don't know I'd this counts since it might be considered a greatest hits album by some, but The Bands "The Last Waltz"...fantastic album!!!!!!

David Kirk
08-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Talking Heads - Remain in Light.

dave

false_Aest
08-14-2010, 08:11 PM
In 1993 I was 12. I learned about girls and music that year.

FWIW, my desert island 10 include those two along with Mogwai, Jawbreaker, The Appleseed Cast, Bach's Cello Suiten and a few others.

retrofit
08-14-2010, 08:25 PM
Buffalo Springfield - Again
http://gallery.me.com/rockyshores/100296/Buffalo-20Springfield-20Again/web.jpg

Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
http://gallery.me.com/rockyshores/100296/Time-20Out/medium.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
only 460 posts to go!

dimsy
08-14-2010, 08:34 PM
a lot of EXCELLENT picks here! I had never heard of Jackson Brown before tonight, but two mentions on the first page - i'm gonna hit up itunes shortly.

feel free to post twice if you've got more you'd like to mention :D

another two that were PROFOUND for me are

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
http://www.muziklisteleri.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Nick_Drake_Five_Leaves_Left.jpg

and pretty much anything by Harry Nilsson.
specifically this one:
http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/h/harry-nilsson/album-nilsson-schmilsson.jpg

False aest -- you're only a year younger than me, i remember those cd's vividly, however most of my adolescence was a mix of grunge rock and hip hop music. it wasn't until late highschool early college that my musical horizons started expanding.

johnnymossville
08-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Before my time, but I'm gonna agree the Who's Next album. It started great with the first listen and only gets better with age.

But for one more of my era I'm gonna say Dirt by Alice in Chains. It's such a dark and sinister album, kinda like how I felt when it came out. I still love it when I occasionally listen to it.

Bob Ross
08-14-2010, 08:54 PM
TWO CDs/LPs/Albums that from front to back gives you chills, makes you weep, smile, excited, or has a powerful impact on you in any way shape or form

Picking the first one is easy: Power Tools - Strange Meeting
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_3D4uW44cDSw/SkGcbbxm7pI/AAAAAAAAE7s/Nghd8icXQPg/s400/cover.jpg

...but it's gonna have to be a multi-way tie for second:
- Peter Gabriel - UP
- Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue
- Yes - Relayer
- Television - Marquee Moon
- John Luther Adams - In The White Silence
- Charles Dutoit conducting L'Orchestre De La Suisse Romande, performing Igor Stravinsky's Symphony In C and Symphony In Three Movements (London Digital)
- Herbie Hancock - Thrust
- The Beatles - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
- Tim Berne - Fulton Street Maul

...and yet another vote for Exile On Main Street

goonster
08-14-2010, 09:18 PM
http://www.gibson.com/Files/aaFeaturesImages2010/10-best-covers_velvet-underground_nico.jpg

http://www.lib.washington.edu/media/pitchfork/images/loveless.jpg

bikemoore
08-14-2010, 09:19 PM
I was a 70s hard rock teenager (class of '78.....and yes I indulged too much) and very much a fan of live albums. Back then, I really paid attention when a band put a live performance on vinyl....that's what I wanted to hear. There were really some great live albums in the 1970s. Its a shame that live recordings seem so rare from bands these days. Anyway, my two favorites from that time that I still love to crank. Both of these albums really showcase what great live bands were able to do with all of the experience they had from playing constantly on the road for years (and should be able to do today):

#1 = Blue Oyster Cult--Some Enchanted Evening

#2 = Rush--All the World's a Stage

davidlee
08-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Tom Waits " Raindogs" is about as perfect as it gets for me.
xo
d

chuckroast
08-14-2010, 09:23 PM
wow, so many great LP's to choose from. Ray, I love Exile also but my top two?

rugbysecondrow
08-14-2010, 09:24 PM
Hip Hop, Tribe Called Quest, "The Low End Theory" one of my favorites.

a lot of EXCELLENT picks here! I had never heard of Jackson Brown before tonight, but two mentions on the first page - i'm gonna hit up itunes shortly.

feel free to post twice if you've got more you'd like to mention :D

another two that were PROFOUND for me are

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
http://www.muziklisteleri.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Nick_Drake_Five_Leaves_Left.jpg

and pretty much anything by Harry Nilsson.
specifically this one:
http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/h/harry-nilsson/album-nilsson-schmilsson.jpg

False aest -- you're only a year younger than me, i remember those cd's vividly, however most of my adolescence was a mix of grunge rock and hip hop music. it wasn't until late highschool early college that my musical horizons started expanding.

wc1934
08-14-2010, 09:45 PM
American Beauty - Dead
Blood on the Tracks -Dylan

This is hard to narrow it to just two - how do I exclude these:

Nashville Skyline - Dylan
The Kinks Greatest:celluloid heroes
After the Goldrush - Neil Young
CSNY
Good Old Boys - Randy Newman
Sail Away - Randy Newman
Let it Bleed -Stones
New Riders of the Purple Sage - 1st album - same name
OCMS, Jackson Brown, The Who, etc. etc. etc.

cadence90
08-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Miles Davis - "Kind of Blue" again.
This album never gets old.

and (not an album but I sure wish it was...):

"Talking Heads - Live in Rome (1980)" (full concert here) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNAzXlDaHQU&feature=PlayList&p=D0F666E5BEC5CFED&index=0&playnext=1)
with Adrian Belew and Busta "Cherry" Jones, et al.
Amazing line-up, amazing concert.

Tinariwen - "Aman Iman"
http://s.glbimg.com/jo/g1/f/original/2010/07/02/tinariwen_aman_iman.jpg;

and Fabrizio de Andrè - "Crêuza de mä"
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31R7ET1E9TL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Dylan - "Blood on the Tracks" or "Time out of Mind".

And another vote for "Exile".

rounder
08-14-2010, 09:51 PM
Exile on Main Street was very good. I would go with Workingman's Dead and American Beauty By Grateful Dead, and Now and 12 x 5 by Rolling Stones. Everyone likes what they like.

cinema
08-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Bob Dylan - Highway 61
Steely Dan - Countdown to Ecstasy
Elvis Costello - Imperial Bedroom
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One

They're all perfect but there's so much more.

snah
08-14-2010, 10:24 PM
Guns n' Roses and the Ramones.

rinconryder
08-14-2010, 10:35 PM
A nice mix of different sounds...

PCR
08-14-2010, 10:35 PM
They are before my time but just about anything from The Ventures is really good. I like Billy Joel's early stuff too. Enjoy, lots of great music to pick from here. :D

OtayBW
08-14-2010, 10:41 PM
wow, so many great LP's to choose from. Ray, I love Exile also but my top two?
I don't know if I can single a list down to just one, but whatever list I think of always has Miles' 'Kind of Blue'.

EDIT: OK - A few more favorites:

Byrds – Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Magic Sam – West Side Soul
Jimi – Axis, etc. etc.
Gram Parsons – Grievous Angel and GP
Randy Newman – Good Ole Boys
Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks – Striking it Rich
Charlie Christian – The Genius of the Electric Guitar
Allison Moorer – Alabama Song

agh - I give up. This is impossible....

dimsy
08-14-2010, 10:52 PM
Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One

They're all perfect but there's so much more.

awesome album. my favorite of theirs is And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out.

they're fun live too.

retrofit
08-14-2010, 11:03 PM
I was a 70s hard rock teenager (class of '78.....and yes I indulged too much) and very much a fan of live albums. Back then, I really paid attention when a band put a live performance on vinyl....that's what I wanted to hear. There were really some great live albums in the 1970s. Its a shame that live recordings seem so rare from bands these days. Anyway, my two favorites from that time that I still love to crank. Both of these albums really showcase what great live bands were able to do with all of the experience they had from playing constantly on the road for years (and should be able to do today):

#1 = Blue Oyster Cult--Some Enchanted Evening

#2 = Rush--All the World's a Stage

Live albums indeed! Flashing back to one of my all time favs:
The Allman Brothers Band - Live at the Fillmore East (1971)

http://gallery.me.com/rockyshores/100296/Allman-20Brothers-20Band-20Live-20at-20Fillmore-20/web.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
only 459 posts to go!

cinema
08-14-2010, 11:13 PM
awesome album. my favorite of theirs is And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out.

they're fun live too.

Oh yeah! I saw them at coney island last year and they were amazing. I want to go see them do eight nights of hannukah at maxwell's one year :)

Louis
08-14-2010, 11:26 PM
I'll pick something obscure (unless you're from Oz). The stories are just incredible.

Paul Kelly, Under the Sun and So Much Water So Close to Home

http://d.yimg.com/ec/image/v1/release/186831649;encoding=jpg;size=300;fallback=defaultIm age

http://d.yimg.com/ec/image/v1/release/186349279;encoding=jpg;size=300;fallback=defaultIm age

sean
08-14-2010, 11:28 PM
I have a hard time choosing which smiths LP, but this has got to be may fav all the way from side a to b

93legendti
08-14-2010, 11:28 PM
CSNY -So Far
Allman Brothers- Beginnnings

UFO-Lights Out
Larry Carlton-Strikes Twice
SRV- Couldn't Stand The Weather
Carole King- Tapestry
Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover
Led Zep - Houses Of The Holy
EWF- Greatest Hits, Vol. 1
Tommy Bolin - Teaser

oliver1850
08-15-2010, 01:03 AM

sean
08-15-2010, 01:11 AM
Alright, you got me started:

Fall- Live at the Witch Trials
Gang of 4- That's Entertainment
Joy Division- Unknown Pleasures
Beach Boys- Pet Sounds
Siouxsie & The Banshees- Metal Postcard 7"
The Specials- ST
Pixies- Surfer Rosa

Ugh, music block. I know there are more

Louis
08-15-2010, 02:11 AM
Ugh, music block. I know there are more

Pink Floyd - "The Wall" and "Wish You Were Here"

Van Halen - "Van Halen" and AC DC "Back in Black"

Trivia of the Day - Just about a week ago was the 30th anniversary of Back in Black's release.

BryanE
08-15-2010, 04:56 AM
Robin Trower/Bridge Of Sighes
CSNY/4 Way Street
Bry

jblande
08-15-2010, 05:43 AM
OP had it right with Astral Weeks

But I'll take

Charles Mingus Ah Um

and

Led Zeppelin Hauses of the Holy

And, although this would be cheating, I'd take the soundtrack to TREME whenever it comes out. They've already done all the hard work for me and put all the good music together.

Ray
08-15-2010, 06:03 AM
Well, Exile is so deep in my blood and bones that I have to stick with it at the top of the list. But a lot of other mentions here that I've worn out more than two copies of and are still going strong.

Kind of Blue is as good as it ever got, or almost any live performance by Coltrane, but he never made an ALBUM as good as KOB. And Brilliant Corners by Monk, something by Mingus, maybe something by Chet Baker or Jackie McClain, Joe Pass, etc - there's just waaaaay too much great jazz to come up with just one. Unless its Kind of Blue, but that's such and EASY pick! How about Jack Johnson for some tougher, electric Miles?

I love the Dead more than about anyone but you just can't pick a STUDIO album by the Dead - it'd be like saying you believed in Jesus because you liked his clothes - it misses the point! And there are too many great live albums/tapes over the years to begin to pick just one.

Rain Dogs is the perfect combination of Tom Waits early and recent styles and one of my all time favorites, but I can go for periods of time without listening to Tom Waits, so it can't be on the top of my list.

Allman Bros at Fillmore East has gotten me through a LOT of road trips and still does to this day. Its as good as improvised rock ever got for keeping it sort of in the pocket - of course they never took it OUT like the Dead but they did what they did soooooooo well and those guys could PLAY too. Very very very close to the top.

And, being a boy from that era, I spent too much time listening to Zep and Rush and BOC too, but the only album from that era that was mentioned here that spent a LOT of time on my turntable was Bridge of Sighs - I loved Trower until I found Hendrix a couple of years later.

Speaking of which, Band of Gypsies got me through a lot of nights. Something by Neil, but not the smooth easy listening stuff - maybe Tonight's the Night, Zuma, American Stars n Bars, something along those lines. The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle is as good as Bruce ever got for my money and Bruce got about as good at anyone, so that's pretty high. Even one of Petty's first three albums could be high on the list. Something by Elvis Costello (I like his recent country album as much as ANY of it), something by the Talking Heads, London Calling, can't leave those off. The White Album, crap the list could go on and on and on and on.

But I think the point was just one, right?

I'm sticking with Exile - the masterpiece by the greatest Rock and Roll band in the WOOOOOOORRRRRRRLLLLLLLDDDDDD! Tight little rhythm section too!

-Ray

yodelinpol
08-15-2010, 06:56 AM
The Wailers - Catch A Fire
Tom Waits - Big Time soundtrack (well because it has differnt stuff from differnt albums... so I don't have to choose Rain Dogs or Frank's Wild Years)

runners up:

Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs
Clash - London Calling
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Tom Waits - Orphans
Louvin Brothers - Complete Bear Family Box (this is cheating it is 12 discs)
Stanley Brothers - Starday/King records box (cheating - 4 discs)
Rolling Stones - Exile
Randy Newman - Creates Something New Under The Sun (first album)
The Band - The Band (brown album) or Rock of Ages for a mix of records
Van Morrison - Tupelo Honey
Blind Willie Johnson - complete 2 disc RootsnBlues series
Townes van Zandt - Nashville Sessions or Our Mother The Mountain

yodelinpol
08-15-2010, 07:00 AM
I love the Dead more than about anyone but you just can't pick a STUDIO album by the Dead - it'd be like saying you believed in Jesus because you liked his clothes - it misses the point!

-Ray

I had some friends who thought Jerry was Jesus. Well, maybe they weren't friends but we made some exchanges :)

93legendti
08-15-2010, 08:08 AM
Robin Trower's Bridge of Sighs-good one. I can't believe I forgot that one...

LegendRider
08-15-2010, 08:56 AM
I had some friends who thought Jerry was Jesus. Well, maybe they weren't friends but we made some exchanges :)

I can't verify this story, but it's funny nonetheless.

Jerry is sitting in a cafe by himself trying to have a cup of coffee and a bit to eat. When a star stuck fan with his friends notices him. He doesn't want to bother Jerry but his friends talk him into going over and talking to him. So the guy goes over to Jerry and and says "Oh, I don't want to bother you but this is the greatest moment of my life!!" Jerry doesn't miss a beat, replies "Sorry man, I hope things get better for you."

dogdriver
08-15-2010, 09:44 AM
Nice. This freakin' thread is going to cost me $500 on my Itunes account, as most of the older albums listed are languishing in my basement IN VINYL (Ohbytheway, I just heard that Cheap Trick just released their latest in CD, 33.3, and 8 Track. How ridiculously cool.).

Haven't even thought of Bridge of Sighs for years, but that's a great one.

For pure perfection of engineering, I always likes Steve Winwood's Arc of A Diver. The entire album plays like one continuous song-- starting slow, building up, rocking out, then letting you down easy.

And most of David Bowie's early stuff.

And the Who's Quadrophenia, which is the coolest, most socially relevant rock opera EVER.

But I digress, Chris

sean
08-15-2010, 10:14 AM
Nice. This freakin' thread is going to cost me $500 on my Itunes account, as most of the older albums listed are languishing in my basement IN VINYL

Haul 'em up, get a turntable!

Jeff N.
08-15-2010, 10:27 AM
THE DOORS-Strange Days

Peter B
08-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Seeing Robin Trower and UFO listed brings back memories of this one:

http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/m/montrose/album-montrose.jpg

Ray
08-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Jerry once said that he didn't particularly like all of the crazy-ass adulation he got but he wouldn't REALLY object until they came after him with a cross and a big bag of nails! Or words to that effect - he was a pretty funny self-effacing guy for such a cult god. Nice cult, though, as cults go. I was happy to hang out around the edges of it for a time.

There was just absolutely nothing like them on a good night. Or a bad night for that matter. And they had plenty of both. But it was always fun to watch 'em try and when all of the cylinders started hitting at once, look the eff OUT!

-Ray

SEABREEZE
08-15-2010, 11:12 AM
Robert Lucus Luke and the locomotives Some of the best blues you heard.
Recording excellent If your into blues, this is a must... Audioquest

Pa pa do run run, They do the beach boys better than the beach boys.
Recording excellent Every red blooded American needs this one in there library.Telarc

Erich Kunzel Ein Strassfest.If u dont like Classical, this one you will buy,Fun,Fun, Fun,and will become a favorite.Excellent recording.Telarc

Vince Gill Keys If your into country ,you'll enjoy this one.Twangy
Great recording

Dave & Don Grusen Sticks & Stones Smooth Jazz, doesnt get any smoother
Excellent Recording GRP

Dekonick
08-15-2010, 11:16 AM
Pink Floyd - "The Wall" and "Wish You Were Here"

Van Halen - "Van Halen" and AC DC "Back in Black"

Trivia of the Day - Just about a week ago was the 30th anniversary of Back in Black's release.

AND - how can you miss "The Dark Side of the Moon" as a Floyd best?

dogdriver
08-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Ooohhh... Bridge of Sighs was only $4.49!

Yeah, I have a turntable, gotta get it out some day...

bikemoore
08-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Some of the most fun I've had in years with my vinyl music was when my wife bought me a turntable with the software and connectors to record my records onto the computer, burn them to CDs that play in a standard CD player, and then convert them to MP3 files. Now I'm cranking my old Rush, BOC, Zeppelin, 70's Scorpions, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath in the car on my commute AND loading the ipod. When she bought me that turntable, I learned that:

a) these turntables are actually standard turntables with a software disc and connector cord thrown in the box.
b) its great to have an excuse to play my old records. "Just using your wonderful gift honey!!"
c) they aren't expensive at all....well worth it if you still have your vinyl and want to bring the music onto your current media devices.

djg
08-15-2010, 12:32 PM
I keep coming back to the Glenn Gould recordings of the Goldberg Variations.

For rock/pop/whatever . . . a highly imperfect album I can listen to again and again is the first Wilco/Billy Bragg colaboration.

Elvis Costello -- My Aim is True; Dylan -- BotTracks; Highway;

I"m trying to think which Ramones album I want if the isolated island has my bike and a set of rollers.

hookookadoo
08-15-2010, 12:40 PM

+1 to Dekonick and Louis for bringing Floyd into the mix. Can't believe got this far(pg 4) without a Floyd album.

A few of my favs based on amount of listening time over the years are:
Kevn Kinney- Macdougal Blues(he's a little heard of dylan-esque singer)
Rush - Exit Stage Left
Indigo Girls - Indigo Girls
Beastie Boys - (ok kidding)
Shawn Colvin - Steady On
Iron Maiden - Powerslave

I could go on. Of final note, only because I was thinking about this the other day, AC/DC Back in Black(which I know has been mentioned) is probably the most successful album of all time in terms of regular listener and royalties from commercial usage. It is played everywhere at sporting events.

OtayBW
08-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Vince Gill Keys If your into country ,you'll enjoy this one.Twangy
Great recording
With the late John Hughey doing his masterwork on steel....

SoCalSteve
08-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Brain Salad Surgery...ELP at their best.

SEABREEZE
08-15-2010, 01:48 PM
With the late John Hughey doing his masterwork on steel....

Was he still alive when they did the show at the Hyman, when they recorderd the show on video.

pbjbike
08-15-2010, 01:51 PM

OtayBW
08-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Was he still alive when they did the show at the Hyman, when they recorderd the show on video.At first, I thought you were asking whether he was still alive when they recorded the album.... :crap:

I couldn't tell you about any other gigs. I don't follow Vince Gill, but I happen to have a real appreciation for great steel players - and The Key is a great album.

bluesea
08-15-2010, 02:16 PM
http://a.imageshack.us/img69/5788/61i5kdinqllsl500aa300.jpg
http://a.imageshack.us/img525/8300/31pmxtcreqlsl500aa300.jpg

SEABREEZE
08-15-2010, 02:26 PM
At first, I thought you were asking whether he was still alive when they recorded the album.... :crap:

I couldn't tell you about any other gigs. I don't follow Vince Gill, but I happen to have a real appreciation for great steel players - and The Key is a great album.

Watch for it in on tv, it comes on every now and then, you will enjoy it as much as the Keys...

Vince Gill live at the Wyman...

Louis
08-15-2010, 03:17 PM

Lots of folks like Dark Side but for some reason it's never been at the top of my PF list. Better IMO than Animals, but not as good as The Final Cut or Meddle.

Andreas
08-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Coltrane "A Love Supreme"

TimmyB
08-15-2010, 05:06 PM
I have a hard time choosing which smiths LP, but this has got to be may fav all the way from side a to b
Seconded!

I can't limit myself to "one" perfect album. These are some of my favourites (that have not already been mentioned):
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/415BE15CD3L.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_eITv9-pSpiE/SX9qE0RsFaI/AAAAAAAAAFs/K9Xz4wy7c7I/s320/BB.jpg
http://www.amiright.com/album-covers/images/album-Descendents-Milo-Goes-to-College.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/510kNhboJPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
http://www.amiright.com/album-covers/images/album_CroMags-Age-of-Quarrel.jpg
And for the wildcard:
http://www.shortwaverockin.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/godspeed.jpg
and
http://image.lyricspond.com/image/m/artist-modest-mouse/album-this-is-a-long-drive-for-someone-with-nothing-to-think-about/cd-cover.jpg

sean
08-15-2010, 06:13 PM
a) these turntables are actually standard turntables with a software disc and connector cord thrown in the box.
b) its great to have an excuse to play my old records. "Just using your wonderful gift honey!!"
c) they aren't expensive at all....well worth it if you still have your vinyl and want to bring the music onto your current media devices.

You can actually buy a little analog to digital box at radio shack and use your existing turntable. If it's a nice one, it will sound a million times better than the USB ones. Also, Toast Titanium comes with software that translates vinyl to MP3.

dimsy
08-15-2010, 06:33 PM
more recently i find these two to be perfect.

the black keys - brothers
http://www.pinpointmusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/the-black-keys-brothers1-300x298.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbV3O31MIOo (unknown brother)

fleet foxes - self titled.
http://www.melophobe.com/images/081221bestalbums2008/01-fleet-foxes-album-cover.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-CEfY9CDLw (ragged wood)
^^ gives me goosebumps every time.

rdparadise
08-15-2010, 06:51 PM
I'm with Louis on Pink Floyd the Wall being an excellent album. I like Exile on Main too Ray! I'm a big Elvis Costello fan too, so My Aim is True is very high on my list.

Who, Who's Next is Outstanding.
Beatles, Sgt Peppers
Stone, Some Girls
Steely Dan, Countdow in to Ecstacy
Nirvana, Nevermind

There have been a host of really good selections so far. I've never really been a dead or Dylan fan although I appreciate their music.

Bob

bking
08-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Many good ones here. To avoid repetition (Fillmore East is already down), I didn't see this one:

Anyone here grow up in Phoenix during the 70's? If you did, and you were of the party of the "long-haired leaping gnomes", well then you were at the Celebrity Theater on New Years Eve (year after year), and listening to
Jerry Riopelle pull stuff from his album "Amazing Grace".

No questions asked, it's just what we did. In a search, I just saw he played there as late as 2005. Wow.

I believe it was cut to dvd, but not remastered and it's not the same.

old_school
08-15-2010, 07:14 PM
A few hundred more to choose from:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=26186

wc1934
08-15-2010, 07:40 PM
There was just absolutely nothing like them on a good night. Or a bad night for that matter. And they had plenty of both. But it was always fun to watch 'em try and when all of the cylinders started hitting at once, look the eff OUT!

-Ray

you are so right - there is nothing like them, even when they played in places like the boston garden.

echelon_john
08-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Can't do 2. Maybe 5?

HUSKER DU—Zen Arcade
RADIOHEAD—OK COMPUTER
THE CLASH—LONDON CALLING
MINOR THREAT—OUT OF STEP

AND THE WILD CARD:
XTC—ENGLISH SETTLEMENT

Ray
08-15-2010, 07:50 PM
Anyone here grow up in Phoenix during the 70's? If you did, and you were of the party of the "long-haired leaping gnomes", well then you were at the Celebrity Theater on New Years Eve (year after year), and listening to Jerry Riopelle pull stuff from his album "Amazing Grace".

"Walkin on water, and I'd like to staaaay in that state of mind - takin all offers, and I don't get paaiiiiiid just for wastin time..."

Grew up in Tucson in the 70s and Jerry used to play down there a lot to. And was big on FM. Good local acts in AZ in those days. Did the Bob Meighan Band get up to Phoenix? Or the Dusty Chaps? But yeah, I remember Jerry well.

edit - just found this. God, I haven't heard this song in years, but I was more or less singing along with it again:

http://www.jerryriopelle.com/sounds/Walkin%20on%20Water.mp3

-Ray

snah
08-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Another great one, hopefully not being duplicated.

dimsy
08-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Can't do 2. Maybe 5?

HUSKER DU—Zen Arcade
RADIOHEAD—OK COMPUTER
THE CLASH—LONDON CALLING
MINOR THREAT—OUT OF STEP

AND THE WILD CARD:
XTC—ENGLISH SETTLEMENT

absolutely!

Dekonick
08-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Probably one of my all time favorite songs... not well known but great.

Big Head Todd & the Monsters (yes... he has a big head and is named Todd)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpVWoF57sZg&feature=PlayList&p=28F4FA8316D4365D&index=0&playnext=1

hankchong
08-15-2010, 08:59 PM
I'm with Sean--love The Smiths. My preference is for Strangeways. I find myself coming back to The Stone Roses' and The Yeah Yeah Yeahs' first albums time after time. There's something visceral and infectious about both releases.

sean
08-15-2010, 09:12 PM
you have to get the Stone Roses Box set. Amazing. Every track ever recorded on 180 gram vinyl. Plus CD version, a book, prints AND a jump drive with all the songs as MP3's as well as video content. Sign up for Borders rewards, wait until they have a 40-60% off one item or box set sale and order away:

http://www.thestoneroses20.com/_graphics/collectors.jpg

sean
08-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Another obscure, but amazing album worth note is Loranne Ellison's S/T LP. The highlight, by far is the song "Stay (with me)". It's as near perfect as a song can be.

It took me a while to find the LP at a reasonable price, but if you can pick up the 45 of "Stay", DO IT!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CdKESCVynAI/Sq_hM4K_UFI/AAAAAAAAHF0/2fwrX81XQ_M/s400/ellison.jpg

Story goes that Ellison was in the same studio as Sinatra's band who were waiting on old blue eyes who was a no show. They offered to play backing on Stay and did it in one amazing take.

Dekonick
08-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Another obscure, but amazing album worth note is Loranne Ellison's S/T LP. The highlight, by far is the song "Stay (with me)". It's as near perfect as a song can be.

It took me a while to find the LP at a reasonable price, but if you can pick up the 45 of "Stay", DO IT!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CdKESCVynAI/Sq_hM4K_UFI/AAAAAAAAHF0/2fwrX81XQ_M/s400/ellison.jpg

Story goes that Ellison was in the same studio as Sinatra's band who were waiting on old blue eyes who was a no show. They offered to play backing on Stay and did it in one amazing take.

Never heard this before - THANKS. Amazing.

Bob Ross
08-15-2010, 10:02 PM
East River Pipe Mel

Whoa...what?!?! I can't believe I just read that here!

I play bass in a band that does a couple East River Pipe covers, and I've never met anyone (besides our bandleader) who knows East River Pipe!

sean
08-15-2010, 10:15 PM
East River Pipe had some definite gems.

You can probably tell, next to bikes, music is mother obsession.

it goes:

Bikes
Vintage Graphic Design Books/Ephemera
Music

They jockey for position from time to time.

bluesea
08-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Shorter, Pastorius, Zawinul?

http://a.imageshack.us/img202/7303/61trcmwmutlsl500aa240.jpg

Rollins?

http://a.imageshack.us/img52/6525/51kihne6blsl500aa300.jpg

Or Herbie...

http://a.imageshack.us/img836/769/61sovzualrlsl500aa300.jpg

BillG
08-15-2010, 10:43 PM
I'll stick to rock (be too long if I added jazz and world):

Fall -- HexEnduction Hour
Nick Drake -- Pink Moon
Can -- Tago Mago
Fairport Convention -- Liege and Lief

dmurphey
08-15-2010, 11:06 PM
oliver1850 has a great list, and many others have some great picks, but you guys have left out some great ablums of modern times:
Amy Winehouse Back to Black
Beck Odelay
Bob Schneider Galaxy Kings
Cracker Kerosene Hat
Nirvana Nevermind
Red Hot Chili Peppers One Hot Minute
Sublime Sublime
and many others

Matthew
08-15-2010, 11:39 PM
Caroline's Spine - Monsoon, Trapt - Trapt, 10 Years - The Autumn Effect, Evan's Blue - The Melody and the Energetic Nature of Volume, Candlebox.

onekgguy
08-16-2010, 12:02 AM
Supertramp's Crime of the Century will probably always top my list. David Baerwald's Triage is also right up there.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTlkGp1Srl7_0hV6veKz3-wHLF4LMw-RXu6jDMIlLgsyd5cZeY&t=1&usg=__ZUuCmE2x-Lj3w98Jwh0HAUwOtUI=

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/79/bf/bc3e228348a0a3f780321110.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Kevin g

sean
08-16-2010, 12:24 AM
No Ziggy Stardust or Diamond Dogs? C'mon people :no:

Peter B
08-16-2010, 12:32 AM

How about Aladdin Sane?

http://diskoduck.cz/shop/images/album-David-Bowie-Aladdin-Sane.jpg

sean
08-16-2010, 12:44 AM
Good call.

Horrible cover, great album:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/72/IggyPopLustForLife.jpg

Also:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0WF9KfPk6hnnWUVGZePWLJA1G7lv2B SmJfckn12wqz_A8cPU&t=1&usg=__sVQFz25Oa4Q1HJlLE-IIDWbcVvY=

And:

http://www.vinylsurrender.com/Graphics/AlbumCovers2/Sonic%20Youth%20-%20Sister.jpg

bluesea
08-16-2010, 12:50 AM

We just watched (again) Wes Anderson's The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.

http://a.imageshack.us/img815/989/lifeaquaticposter.jpg

snah
08-16-2010, 08:02 AM
Realizing it's impossible to choose only 2.

Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Moody Blues - Days of Future Past
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
Pink Floyd - The Wall

dimsy
08-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Realizing it's impossible to choose only 2.

Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Moody Blues - Days of Future Past
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
Pink Floyd - The Wall

i would imagine it was pretty tough to narrow it down to 5 too.

JMerring
08-16-2010, 05:04 PM
someone may already have mentioned it but i'm not inclined at this point to go thru whole thread - imo, single greatest piece of studio rock n roll ever recorded is the beatles' white album. nothing even comes close. with perhaps 1 exception (revolution #9), every song is a gem and all of them together are perfection.

yodelinpol
08-16-2010, 05:09 PM
Seconded!

I can't limit myself to "one" perfect album. These are some of my favourites (that have not already been mentioned):
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/415BE15CD3L.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_eITv9-pSpiE/SX9qE0RsFaI/AAAAAAAAAFs/K9Xz4wy7c7I/s320/BB.jpg
http://www.amiright.com/album-covers/images/album-Descendents-Milo-Goes-to-College.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/510kNhboJPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
http://www.amiright.com/album-covers/images/album_CroMags-Age-of-Quarrel.jpg
And for the wildcard:
http://www.shortwaverockin.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/godspeed.jpg
and
http://image.lyricspond.com/image/m/artist-modest-mouse/album-this-is-a-long-drive-for-someone-with-nothing-to-think-about/cd-cover.jpg

the First Bad Brains Lp is killer (had the cassette and wore it the feck out... but better than Rock For Light?

PS. I love that CroMags Age of Quarrel record and saw them on that tour. Harley was a cool cat. I was only 17 and he was real cool to me.

oliver1850
08-16-2010, 05:49 PM

dimsy
08-16-2010, 06:22 PM
i mentioned van morrison already, but i'm surprised no one dropped this gem in the thread.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_QHzeNbFB07o/Rk6T2zKfTxI/AAAAAAAAAGk/DpTpmtJ10IQ/s320/The+Story+Of+Them+feat.Van+Morrison.jpg

friggin AWESOME record!

while i've touched on the blues a bit... i picked up a 50 cd boxed set a few years ago titled "The Charlie Blues Masterworks" with some of the most amazing blues records ever released. i slowly made my way through each one consecutively, but not until i got to the VERY last cd was i just in complete AWE! I had never heard of him before but he instantly became my favorite blues musician ever:

Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup.

he's awesome.

Frankwurst
08-16-2010, 06:39 PM
The Band The Last Waltz or The Rock of Ages both work
CSN&Y Deja Vu

GuyGadois
08-16-2010, 07:43 PM
http://www.mishmashtv.com/Portals/0/mlou/joesBasement/jb_Ziggy+Stardust.jpg

http://www.therocker.nl/Pictures/Echo_And_The_Bunnymen-Ocean_Rain.jpg

rugbysecondrow
08-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Another great one, hopefully not being duplicated.

Yep, that Violent Femmes album is one of the best too.

bironi
08-16-2010, 08:06 PM
My memory is crap, so I'm only going back a few years. 1998.

Painted from Memory

Elvis Costello and Burt Bacharach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOPXvtZvb7g&fmt=18

93legendti
08-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Seeing Robin Trower and UFO listed brings back memories of this one:

http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/m/montrose/album-montrose.jpg
One of the most underrated hard rock albums of all time. Hagar's vocals were great and Montrose's guitar sounded HUGE.

Bob Ross
08-16-2010, 08:31 PM
You have now. Do you do Shiny Shiny Pimpmobile? Not on Mel, but memorable.

No, in fact I actually have never heard any of the originals. We do "Make A Deal With The City" and ...uh ...sumpin' else.

bluesea
08-17-2010, 01:19 AM
My memory is crap, so I'm only going back a few years. 1998.

Painted from Memory

Elvis Costello and Burt Bacharach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOPXvtZvb7g&fmt=18

Saw that on the tube. For me, All Saints was the highlight of the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WXIT2Tfgj4&feature=related

rustychisel
08-17-2010, 02:20 AM
I'll pick something obscure (unless you're from Oz). The stories are just incredible.

Paul Kelly, Under the Sun and So Much Water So Close to Home
0;fallback=defaultImage[/IMG]

You continue to surprise (in a good way). I'd have thought Kelly was a touch parochial, a touch Aussie homespun and a touch laconically accented to appeal to US citizens. Y'know, songs about Bradman, the MCG...? but he does have a quintessential voice and stories to tell.

>>>>> MIDNIGHT OIL 'HEAD INJURIES'

needs to be in upper case cause it must be played LOUD.

I'll try to think of some others (which aren't already listed, or by Bad Religion et al)

sean
08-17-2010, 02:24 AM
i mentioned van morrison already, but i'm surprised no one dropped this gem in the thread.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_QHzeNbFB07o/Rk6T2zKfTxI/AAAAAAAAAGk/DpTpmtJ10IQ/s320/The+Story+Of+Them+feat.Van+Morrison.jpg

friggin AWESOME record!

+1,000,000
So good!

This is also a gem:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_-lpMaiI8d0s/Sol1kahPJVI/AAAAAAAAAzE/xLJN1TIkuik/s400/monks+-+black+monk+time+album+cover.jpg

LesMiner
08-17-2010, 07:24 AM
How about Disraeli Gears by the Cream? Or The Jimi Hendix Experience, Are You Experienced. I heard cuts from these while I was stranded in the jungle. Meanwhile back in the States everyone was seeing these bands in concert. When I returned it was Led Zepplin II and Abbey Road. I still listen to these from time to time. They are classic.

oliver1850
08-17-2010, 09:30 AM

veloduffer
08-17-2010, 10:44 AM
My two albums:

Johnny Hartman and John Coltrane

Hartman's vocals are one of the best and he was the only vocalist that John Coltrane recorded with. Short album (38 min) of standards by Gerswhin and others. If I had to choose one to take to an island, this would be it hands down. Worth a listen, even if you're not a jazz fan.

Parsley Sage Rosemary & Thyme
by Simon & Garfunkel

Extremely well written popular music with great, great harmony. I was a kid when it was released but I remember how beautiful of a sound they produced. I would subsitute their greatest hits album if allowed.

Other choices: Beatles' Sgt Pepper, Stacy Kent's In Love Again (Richard Rogers), Allman Bros Live at Fillmore East, Miles Davis Kind of Blue, Dave Brubeck Quartet's Time Out.

Idris Icabod
08-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Not sure if this one has been mentioned but my favourite album is the eponimously titled 'Stone Roses'. I was a mop headed student in Manchester, UK when they came on the scene in the mid-80's. They influenced many of the bands of the time, kicked off the "Madchester scene' and then pretty much called it a day, they released their second album 5 years later. Browsing the music I have seen listed I thought I would throw tis one out here as I think if you haven't listened to it it would appeal to many.

Good times back then. I remember getting dumped by a girl who traded up to the bass player in The Verve which seemed pretty fair to me. It was a good time to be a student in Manchester back then, must have been like Liverpool in the 1960s.

GuyGadois
08-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Not sure if this one has been mentioned but my favourite album is the eponimously titled 'Stone Roses'. I was a mop headed student in Manchester, UK when they came on the scene in the mid-80's. They influenced many of the bands of the time, kicked off the "Madchester scene' and then pretty much called it a day, they released their second album 5 years later. Browsing the music I have seen listed I thought I would throw tis one out here as I think if you haven't listened to it it would appeal to many.

Good times back then. I remember getting dumped by a girl who traded up to the bass player in The Verve which seemed pretty fair to me. It was a good time to be a student in Manchester back then, must have been like Liverpool in the 1960s.

+1 The Stone Roses album remains one of the best debut albums ever made (yeah, it is that good).

I'll throw in a third album, Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys. Another great album.

-GG-

Tony Edwards
08-17-2010, 11:38 AM
http://images.coveralia.com/audio/r/Radiohead-OK_Computer-Frontal.jpg

http://www.gay2shareworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/ZiggyStardust.jpg

MadRocketSci
08-17-2010, 12:46 PM
LJ & the Rach....

rbtmcardle
08-17-2010, 05:21 PM
The Wild, the Innocent, the E Street Shuffle.... as good as it gets and a B side that would rival any A side....

Incident - Well like a cool Romeo he made his moves, oh she looked so fine
Like a late Juliet she knew he'd never be true but then she really didn't mind
Upstairs a band was playin', the singer was singin' something about goin' home
She whispered, "Spanish Johnny, you can leave me tonight but just don't leave me alone"

sbrjw
08-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Love's Forever Changes, always pops up on top 100 lists.
Never get tired of listening to it.

bironi
08-17-2010, 11:14 PM
Love's Forever Changes, always pops up on top 100 lists.
Never get tired of listening to it.

My older brother had that album. It was very good. Thanks for the reminder. :beer:

Louis
08-18-2010, 12:09 AM
You continue to surprise (in a good way). I'd have thought Kelly was a touch parochial, a touch Aussie homespun and a touch laconically accented to appeal to US citizens. Y'know, songs about Bradman, the MCG...? but he does have a quintessential voice and stories to tell.

I once heard him described as "the Bruce Springsteen of Australia."

Speaking of parochialism, I've thought that his lack of success in the US was due to parochialism on our part. But, yes, songs like "From St Kilda to King's Cross" or "Adelaide" are more likely to appeal to you guys. Having said that, the stories are great, even those about famous cricket players. :)

tch
08-18-2010, 09:05 AM
...Americana these days, try these two:

Jesse Winchester, the debut album by Jesse Winchester. Levon Helm, Robbie Robertson, the vintage Band sound stripped down a bit and made more gothic.

South of Delia, an album of covers by Richard Shindell. Versions of songs ("Acadian Driftwood", "Born in the USA", "Sitting on Top of the World")that make you forget the originals.

I could probably listen to these two albums forever.

Stealth
08-24-2010, 12:44 PM
The Wild, the Innocent, the E Street Shuffle.... as good as it gets and a B side that would rival any A side....

She whispered, "Spanish Johnny, you can leave me tonight but just don't leave me alone"

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's
promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

More lyrics: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/b/bruce+springsteen/#share

victoryfactory
08-24-2010, 01:32 PM
The number one greatest album of the rock era:
American Beauty- Grateful Dead

Best "Country":
Across the Border Line - Willie Nelson

Best Folk:
Doc Watson On Stage - Doc and Merle Watson

The best greatest hits album of all time:
Legend- Bob Marley

Best travel around the world recording stuff and bring it back to the
studio and lay vocal tracks on top and make it sound
coherent album of the era:
Rhythm Of The Saints - Paul Simon

Best album by a guy you thought was just going around singing his 30 year old
hits over and over to a group of tofu eating, Subaru driving, LL Bean
wearing ex wannabe hippies who now are grandparents:
Hourglass - James Taylor

Worst album of all time:
Anybody's (insert name here) Christmas Album

SEABREEZE
08-24-2010, 02:25 PM
...Americana these days, try these two:

Jesse Winchester, the debut album by Jesse Winchester. Levon Helm, Robbie Robertson, the vintage Band sound stripped down a bit and made more gothic.

South of Delia, an album of covers by Richard Shindell. Versions of songs ("Acadian Driftwood", "Born in the USA", "Sitting on Top of the World")that make you forget the originals.

I could probably listen to these two albums forever.

Heres America as I remember it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSAJ0l4OBHM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3fI0mLz3ks&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ha-ZsGxCb8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZN2-n_BIKI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk-7n1hdK3M&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzUQZw3wfro&feature=related

LegendRider
08-24-2010, 02:39 PM
The number one greatest album of the rock era:
American Beauty- Grateful Dead

Best "Country":
Across the Border Line - Willie Nelson

Best Folk:
Doc Watson On Stage - Doc and Merle Watson

The best greatest hits album of all time:
Legend- Bob Marley

Best travel around the world recording stuff and bring it back to the
studio and lay vocal tracks on top and make it sound
coherent album of the era:
Rhythm Of The Saints - Paul Simon

Best album by a guy you thought was just going around singing his 30 year old
hits over and over to a group of tofu eating, Subaru driving, LL Bean
wearing ex wannabe hippies who now are grandparents:
Hourglass - James Taylor

Worst album of all time:
Anybody's (insert name here) Christmas Album

I was with you until the end. I hope you don't mean something like the Christmas with Robert Shaw (Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chorus).

If you mean Christmas with the Chipmunks, then I'm with you!

PBWrench
08-24-2010, 02:47 PM
I stood stone-like at midnight suspended in my masquerade
I combed my hair till it was just right and commanded the night brigade
I was open to pain and crossed by the rain and I walked on a crooked crutch
I strolled all alone through a fallout zone and came out with my soul untouched
I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd but when they said "Sit down" I stood
up.
Ooh-ooh growin' up

dimsy
08-24-2010, 02:48 PM
if you haven't heard of him, his tragic story or this record... I HIGHLY recommend it.

http://iloveboyswhosparkle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/jeff-buckley-grace.jpg

is talent genetic? hmmmm....

http://i39.tinypic.com/xbidsl.jpg

Bob Ross
08-24-2010, 03:10 PM

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute,
it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

With all due respect, a friendly suggestion -- and I'm only mentioning it here now because I found myself offering this exact same advice in another internet forum just yesterday:

Never quote song lyrics and presume that their brilliance (sic) will be self-evident. You are destined to fail.

abqhudson
08-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Best DVD 5.1: "Pulse" David Gilmore

Best utube single: K D Lang "Hallelujah"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_NpxTWbovE

dimsy
08-25-2010, 02:08 PM
Best DVD 5.1: "Pulse" David Gilmore

Best utube single: K D Lang "Hallelujah"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_NpxTWbovE

Hallelujah is such a beautiful song, K D Lang does an excellent job. I'm partial to Jeff Buckley's version though :)

rbtmcardle
08-25-2010, 10:22 PM
With all due respect, a friendly suggestion -- and I'm only mentioning it here now because I found myself offering this exact same advice in another internet forum just yesterday:

Never quote song lyrics and presume that their brilliance (sic) will be self-evident. You are destined to fail.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I dont particularly care what people think. The lyric meant something to me and I shared it, each day is different for me, some days its another song, even for the author, I am certain the words have meant different things over the years, hence the beauty of the written word. Adaptable to whatever we might be feeling at the time... no offense intended or taken.

bironi
04-20-2023, 02:13 AM
That was a very civil response.
Appreciated much after the spoil date.
Music makes us all better.

echelon_john
04-20-2023, 02:23 AM
Since we’re necromancing

OK Computer is pretty damn perfect

jimoots
04-20-2023, 03:36 AM
Since we’re necromancing

OK Computer is pretty damn perfect

Yeah I was literally about to post this

holliscx
04-20-2023, 05:58 AM
Pixies Surfer Rosa (.)(.)

Gillian Welch Time (The Revelator)

Bob Dylan Highway 61 Revisited

Sigur Rós ÁgÊtis byrjun

The National Boxer

bicycletricycle
04-20-2023, 06:02 AM
The Upsetters - black board jungle
The sea and cake - oui

cash05458
04-20-2023, 07:30 AM
These things are always so personal...but for me Village Green Preservation Society by the Kinks is prolly very close...while everyone was getting into peace and love and a psychedelic type of sound, Davies was going just the opposite direction...and of course the album got completely ripped apart by most and the critics when it came out...Davies was, if I remember rightly, like 24 when he wrote it...it's an astounding record.

Prolly the other one I would say would be Double Nickles on the Dime by the Minutemen...I would toss the first three records by Wire in there...maybe T-Rex's Electric Warrior as well...The Fall's Perverted by Language...nice to see The Fall get a little love here...

But there are many of course...

Hilltopwalters
04-20-2023, 07:40 AM
Give Up - The Postal Service

makoti
04-20-2023, 07:41 AM
Moontan - Golden Earring
Avalon - Roxy Music
And, of course, DSotM

redir
04-20-2023, 07:45 AM
50th anniversary of this.

https://extrachill.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/pink-floyd-dark-side-of-the-moon-1024x917.jpg

Red Tornado
04-20-2023, 07:50 AM

johnniecakes
04-20-2023, 08:01 AM

OtayBW
04-20-2023, 08:09 AM
Aw, geez - one off the top of my head:
Roy Buchanan, Second Album

OK - Another:
Jimi, Axis Bold As Love...

Too many to list...

sjbraun
04-20-2023, 09:51 AM
In a Silent Way- Miles Davis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHesqaMhh34

Four and More- Miles Davis Quintet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG5FAVw3UqY

Milestones

Sketches of Spain

And for something a little different-

Tierney Sutton- After Blue
https://tierneysutton.com/tierney-sutton-discography/tierney-sutton-after-blue/

YR- Steve Tibbets
https://stevetibbetts.com/yr/

November Dave
04-20-2023, 10:05 AM
Yeah I was literally about to post this

I'd go with In Rainbows but a different day could yield a different choice. The "From the Basement" version on YouTube includes a cover of The Smiths Headmaster Ritual that blows me away.

Didn't read this whole old thread but if Steely Dan's Aja hasn't been mentioned before, it is now.

gomango
04-20-2023, 10:29 AM
So many choices!

Two that resonate are Replacements-Pleased to Meet Me and of course David Bowie-Scary Monsters, Super Creeps.

I could easily answer this differently tomorrow based on my mood.

ckrakoff
04-20-2023, 12:07 PM
In a Silent Way- Miles Davis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHesqaMhh34

Milestones

Sketches of Spain

YR- Steve Tibbets

The album of his I can't stop listening to is "Ascender pour l'Échafaud" - Elevator to the Gallows ("Frantic" in the U.S. release of the film)- the soundtrack to a Louis Malle movie of the same name he recorded in France in 1957 with Barney Wilen on tenor sax, RenĂ© Urtreger on piano, Pierre Michelot on bass, and Kenny Clarke on drums..

echelon_john
04-20-2023, 12:51 PM
Bowie’s Hunky Dory would be right up there also.

So many choices!

Two that resonate are Replacements-Pleased to Meet Me and of course David Bowie-Scary Monsters, Super Creeps.

I could easily answer this differently tomorrow based on my mood.

goonster
04-20-2023, 01:44 PM
On the 25th anniversary of its release, I'm reminded that this really is a perfect album:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e9/Musichastherighttochildren.jpg

A generation of fans went into record stores, or turned to their friends, asking, "are there any other albums like this?" and the reply was always a sad shake of the head and a wistful "not really."

B4_Ford
04-20-2023, 01:47 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230420/113ab0bc0aeaba2eec5624616ebd5603.jpg

I have bad ideas

pdxharth
04-20-2023, 03:43 PM
Lots of my favorites on this list, plus some good bonus albums that I may need to pick up or revisit.

Exile on Main St is near the top for me.

But every time I listen to Layla, especially with headphones or really loud in my living room, that's what floats my boat more than anything else.

fourflys
04-20-2023, 03:55 PM
#1. REM - Green

I had just worked the summer in a warehouse and bought my first CD changer and Green was the first CD I bought.. this was, I think, between 7th and 8th grade, so probably 1988? CDs were a pretty new thing in the cornfields of Indiana at the time..

#2. that's more difficult as there as so many.. but probably Pink Floyd - Pulse

I had been in the Coast Guard almost two years at this point (~95), was on my own, in New Orleans and having an awesome time! I loved the little pulsing light in the CD box and the collection of songs is almost perfect!

BUT- right up there with these two are the first few They Might be Giants albums.. such a quirky, weird sound.. I love them!

* I missed this thread the first time around, glad to have seen it..

cgolvin
04-20-2023, 04:07 PM
Steely Dan - Countdown to Ecstasy

It's interesting, for an unrelated reason Waldo62 & I were debating "best Steely Dan album" -- he said Aja, hands down, and while I'm inclined to agree with him I think Katy Lied is a very close second.

Shorter, Pastorius, Zawinul?

Jaco was a nearly unique talent but I prefer the Miroslav Vitous & Alphonso Johnson albums. Gun to my head I'd probably say Sweetnighter. No, Mysterious Traveler. No, Sweetnighter 

Other would be Forest Flower by Charles Lloyd.

Like bikes, though, the correct number of best albums is N+1.

jamesdak
04-20-2023, 04:11 PM
Well, since it's revived I'll play.

No way I can pick one so I'll try to limit to 5.

Meatloaf - Bat out of hell. I mean come on, no one's gone there yet?!

Porcupine Tree - Literally any album, honestly!

Clannad - Once again, such a group to pick from. I'll say Macalla

Mad Season - Above

Concrete Blonde - Mexican Moon - Here again can't really pick a favorite. Every album is a gem, never understood why they weren't "bigger" Best female voice in the business, plain and simple. Heck I had 6 of their albums in my truck for over a year on constant rotatation and never grew tired of them.

XXtwindad
04-20-2023, 04:12 PM
1) U2 Joshua Tree. My favorite “rock” album of all time. Great name, obviously.

2) Fleetwood Mac. Rumours. Rolling Stone called it the best pop album in history. No argument there.

3) Miles Davis. Kind of Blue. One reviewer wrote that it was “made in heaven.” Couldn’t say it any better.

4) Tom Waits. Closing Time. I cry every single time I hear “Martha.”

5) Pearl Jam. Ten. Grunge rock perfection. Nirvana vs Pearl Jam wasn’t a contest for me. Bonus points: named after Mookie Blaylock.

6) The Clash. London Calling. Because they’re The Only Band That Mattered.

7) Marvin Gaye. Pick an album.

echelon_john
04-20-2023, 04:23 PM
Jimmy Jazz is the fatal flaw. Otherwise pretty close to perfect.

6) The Clash. London Calling. Because they’re The Only Band That Mattered.

BryanE
04-20-2023, 04:28 PM
Dire Straits ST first LP
Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes - I Don't Wanna Go Home

donevwil
04-20-2023, 04:31 PM
https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.z4y4rpLvxIMkBTVNWefTzgHaHa?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

Louis
04-20-2023, 04:32 PM
Dire Straits ST first LP

Mark Knopfler is at the very top of my list of favorite guitarist-songwriters.

72gmc
04-20-2023, 04:34 PM

This is the way I feel about "I'm In Touch with Your World" on the otherwise-pretty-much-perfect debut album from The Cars.

fourflys
04-20-2023, 04:36 PM
Mark Knopfler is at the very top of my list of favorite guitarist-songwriters.

plus RugRats! :D

fourflys
04-20-2023, 04:38 PM
so one of the most interesting things about this thread is the different eras folks are in.. obviously a heavy dose of 70's/early 80s stuff, but also (like mine), some more recent stuff..

surprisingly, no real grunge stuff.. (I ight have missed it as I didn't read every page)..

love it!

rinconryder
04-20-2023, 04:45 PM
Radiohead - in rainbows, Kennedy chesney - songs for the saints

echelon_john
04-20-2023, 04:46 PM
1000%. I love the Cars but that song is an abomination.

This is the way I feel about "I'm In Touch with Your World" on the otherwise-pretty-much-perfect debut album from The Cars.

OtayBW
04-20-2023, 04:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHesqaMhh34

Milestones

Sketches of Spain

YR- Steve Tibbets
No 'Kind of Blue? Shocking! :eek:

Metz
04-20-2023, 05:11 PM

Nah, it isn't that bad. I mean, compared to some of the doozies on Sandinista. Then again "Washington Bullets" is a fave of mine.

It's near impossible for me to narrow down to 10 bands let alone one album.

The Chameleons' Strange Times is maybe a left field choice amongst all the other great albums folks have already listed. London Calling and OK Computer are fabulous and I'm pretty fond of the Smiths first record. Relayer by Yes was a damn good left field choice by someone as well if I go back to my Prog days....anyone heard Danger Money by UK? That brings me to King Crimson which then leads me to Bowie (Fripp on Heroes and Adrian Belew on Stay). And David Sylvian started out with Japan kinda trying to copy Bowie, too many rabbit holes! Crap maybe I need 100 albums or 100 artists even better.

cequip
04-20-2023, 05:22 PM
I grew up on the music of the 70's and 80's. It seems so weird to me now, but a lot of the music that I wasn't fond of then, really resonates with me now. I know I am getting older, but I tend to listen to the majority of the 70's/80's stuff instead of any of the new stuff. I am going through a Grateful Dead phase now and I never really spent much time with their music in the past. I noticed it playing one day in the background on one of the Paul Components how to videos on Youtube and was hooked. I had a bike on the stand that wasn't cooperating and thought to myself if the Grateful Dead is good enough for Paul then it might work for me. I can listen to any Tom Petty album for days as well. Really all the old stuff is good. Eagles, Dire Straits, Waylon Jennings every now and then, it's all good. Thanks for bringing this thread back from the dead to give me some new old ideas to listen to. Was it really a 13 year gap on this thread? Wow!

KJMUNC
04-20-2023, 07:04 PM
Released 50yrs ago
.still just as great

Louis
04-20-2023, 07:16 PM
plus RugRats! :D

https://imageprod.eu-central-1.linodeobjects.com/products/1096594/63394cf48ec20.jpeg

HenryA
04-20-2023, 07:39 PM
God Shuffled His Feet (all good all the way through)
Crash Test Dummies

Court and Spark (best use of vinyl or plastic ever)
Joni Mitchell

Taking My Time (maybe the best album cover and inside cover ever)
Bonnie Raitt

Photos to come

cuda
04-20-2023, 08:25 PM
imo, there are a lot of perfect albums. I think it's worth picking a genre. I like many types of music but feel that Jazz is what I always come home to.
When I think of "perfect albums" Jazz is a great genre to target. The best were so insanely well crafted that they have stood the test of time. So many greats but it's hard for me to imagine anyone who absolutely nailed it as Miles Davis. So many masterpieces it's difficult to call one the best. I probably go back to Miles in the Sky the most, closely followed by Bitches Brew and On the Corner.

sjbraun
04-20-2023, 09:21 PM
No 'Kind of Blue? Shocking! :eek:

Only excluded because it’s been mentioned several times

TheseGoTo11
04-20-2023, 09:37 PM
U2- The Joshua Tree
The Who- Who's Next

Both absolutely breathtaking top to bottom

Hard to argue with that. Since these are taken, I’ll toss out The Clash-London Calling and Dinosaur Jr’-You’re Living All Over Me. Honorable mention
Rush-Moving Pictures

zacstanley
04-20-2023, 09:38 PM
my bloody valentine "loveless"
john coltrane "a love supreme"

We should be friends. I listen to a Love Supreme every Sunday morning.

zacstanley
04-20-2023, 09:44 PM
The Upsetters - black board jungle
The sea and cake - oui

We should also be friends! I love me some Blackboard Jungle...

zacstanley
04-20-2023, 10:18 PM
I really feel like this needs to be a genre and decade based thread but I'll bite:

60's rock:
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Green River

60's Jazz
Pharoah Sanders - Karma

60's Psych/Experimental
13th Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere

70's rock:
Big Star - Radio City

70's Jazz
Alice Coltrane - Ptah, the El Daoud

70's Psych/Experimental
Can - Future Days

80's rock:
The Replacements - Let it Be

80's Punk:
Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime

80's Psych/Experimental:
Butthole Surfers - Hairway to Steven

90's Rock:
Melvins - Bullhead

90's Punk:
Fugazi - In on the Killtaker

90's Hip Hop:
Toss-up between Digable Planets - Reaching' or Dr. Dre - The Chronic

80's Psych/Experimental:
Flaming Lips - Clouds Taste Metallic

B4_Ford
04-20-2023, 11:35 PM
I really feel like this needs to be a genre and decade based thread but I'll bite:

60's rock:
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Green Revival

60's Jazz
Pharoah Sanders - Karma

60's Psych/Experimental

70's rock:
Big Star - Radio City

70's Jazz

70's Psych/Experimental
Can - Future Days

80's rock:

80's Punk:

80's Psych/Experimental:

90's Rock:
Melvins - Bullhead

90's Punk:

90's Hip Hop:

80's Psych/Experimental:

I was definitely thinking a decades thing.

Favorites over my lifespan include:

70’s:
Pink Floyd - Meddle
The opening track completely blew my teenage mind the first time I heard it. Wind, a rolling bass, and it grows from there. The guitar work and vocals on Echoes are just a preface to what came next. As my son put it, Pink Floyd is the best at making a 3 minute song last 20 minutes.

80’s:
Toss up between Concrete Blonde - Concrete Blonde and New Model Amy - Thunder and Consolation. Both a sort of post punk but far from mainstream 80’s pop/rock. They both still are in regular rotation on my playlist.

90’s:
Alice In Chains - Dirt
AIC at their best and darkest. This album captivated 20-something me. I’d listen to it for hours while working in the Bering Sea. That flame burned out too quickly. F**k heroin.

00’s:
Amy Winehouse - Back To Black
That woman could write and sing. F**k alcoholism.
Also: Iron & Wine - The Shepard’s Dog

10’s:
Foo Fighters - Sonic Highways
Opens with plucking guitars on Something From Nothing , ebbs and flows throughout, and closes with I Am A River, an absolute classic FF song.

20’s: (edited because I changed my mind)
Calexico - El Mirador
Can’t describe it, just give it a listen. Layers upon layers to unpack.

I have bad ideas

nighthawk
04-20-2023, 11:53 PM
Gillian Welch Time (The Revelator)

Been listening to this all week!

XXtwindad
04-20-2023, 11:58 PM

60's rock:
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Green Revival

60's Jazz
Pharoah Sanders - Karma

60's Psych/Experimental

70's rock:
Big Star - Radio City

70's Jazz

70's Psych/Experimental
Can - Future Days

80's rock:
Pixies Doolittle
80's Punk:

80's Psych/Experimental:

90's Rock:
Melvins - Bullhead

90's Punk:

90's Hip Hop:
Roots Illadelph Halflife
80's Psych/Experimental:

Good thread!

nighthawk
04-20-2023, 11:58 PM

One of my favorite albums. So much so, I have two copies on vinyl.

My additions to this thread...

The first 4 Black Sabbath albums

and Wire - Pink Flag

zacstanley
04-21-2023, 12:26 AM
^^^ All of these too

carlucci1106
04-21-2023, 12:31 AM
This one is particularly special... Elvis Costello, Burt Bacharach and Bill Frisell; The Sweetest Punch

Honorable mentions...

Stevie Wonder: Innervisions
Ben Folds Five: The Sound of the Life of the Mind
Goldfinger: Hangups

verticaldoug
04-21-2023, 01:43 AM
It's funny how music ages, and depending on your own mood, you can comeback to it years later.

in 2017, I lived close enough to Hyde Park that when Paul Simon had his concert there, I could sit on my deck and listen to it in the later summer. I couldn't see it, and of course the music was off in the distance across the city, but the Graceland stuff was still so good.

Brought me back to summer 1987 in NYC.

Apartheid was front and center. We went from the hope of 1991 to the all consuming graft of the ANC today. Weird how things work out.

But I guess we can say the same thing about Perestroika, fall of the wall, and where we are today with Ukraine-Russia...

I guess we are just on a hamster wheel.

BdaGhisallo
04-21-2023, 03:25 AM
Paul Simon - Graceland
Steely Dan - Aja
Mark Knopfler - Sailing to Philadelphia
Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel 1
Oscar Peterson - Canadiana Suite
Roseanne Cash - The River & the Thread
The Band - The Band
Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
Bob Marley & the Wailers - Exodus

paredown
04-21-2023, 06:22 AM
I see so many of my old friends in this thread -- there must be some pretty high correlation between cycling and good taste in music.:banana:

One I would put on my list is Lucinda Williams, 'Car Wheels on a Gravel Road' -- about love and loss, and it happened to come out about the time my Dad died, so it is tied to that.

My whole problem with the 'Perfect Album' trope is, on what basis are we judging? Artistic merit? Songwriting ability? Musicianship? Production values in the album (and points to experimental or novel?)

I know everyone (pretty much) loves the Beatles, but for sounds that you had not heard before in a pop band, they were pretty much it, starting with Revolver, and someone has already tagged the White Album (and I'm in agreement).

A musician friend and I talk about this occasionally -- it really matters what you heard when too. Albums that absolutely made my head explode at the time would include Led Zep I, Beatles 'Sargent Pepper's', Who 'Live at Leeds', Elton John live, '17-11-70' (known as 11-17-70 in the United States), Grateful Dead, 'Workingman's Dead'--the list goes on and on. But when you heard them, they stopped you in your tracks.

But you only get to feel that once.

madsciencenow
04-21-2023, 06:45 AM
A musician friend and I talk about this occasionally -- it really matters what you heard when too. Albums that absolutely made my head explode at the time would include Led Zep I, Beatles 'Sargent Pepper's', Who 'Live at Leeds', Elton John live, '17-11-70' (known as 11-17-70 in the United States), Grateful Dead, 'Workingman's Dead'--the list goes on and on. But when you heard them, they stopped you in your tracks.

But you only get to feel that once.

This is so true, at least for me! I remember where I was the first time I heard, "Smells Like Teen Spirit." I'd never heard anything like it before. I'm not the hugest Nirvana fan but that song was the entry point into Grunge/Alternative music for me (bands that came after and before). I don't remember where I was but I also remember the song Plush by STP, Lightning Crashes by Live, and several Metallica songs off the Black album.

mstateglfr
04-21-2023, 09:36 AM
So the OP asked for just 2. F that. I will list 5. Even at 5, oh my gosh so much incredible music is cut.
But 5 albums that I can just push play on and get chills from the whole time? I dont know about chills for an entire album, but these are all albums that I let play from start to end without ever skipping a song and are highly impactful to me...
Its a healthy mix of genre and time period. Oddly though, nothing from this century. I have a ton of music from this last 20 years, but its all digital format and its single songs vs full albums. Tech really did change how music is consumed.

Bob Marley and the Wailers- Legend
- Its a greatest hits album and I distinctly remember playing it all the way thru all the time back with CDs were a thing. I was too young to heave heard him when he was alive, so this was a great way to hear his stuff from the early 70s to early 80s and got me into learning a ton of history about his life and views.
14 incredible songs one after another.

Nirvana- MTV Unplugged in New York
- Released when I was 13 and 7 months after Cobain killed himself. I remember seeing the broadcast version of it shortly before Cobain died and it was incredible. They did a few hits, but it was mostly lesser known songs and a couple covers. The version of All Apologies is something I will never forget- Dave Grohl's brushed drums really gets it started and Cobain's singing along with the cello combine to make something where the pain of the song can be felt. After Cobain died, MTV went into overdrive and played the broadcast like hourly(it seemed).
The album is absolutely one that can just play from start to finish. And it ends with a cover of Lead Belly's Where Did you Sleep Last Night that is so powerful in its raw emotion. Cobain's vocals are haunting and sad.

Wyclef Jean- The Carnival featuring Refugee Allstars
- This was Clef's debut solo effort and it is a concept album where Clef is on trial and songs are used to defend him. There are these silly skits between songs were characters are testifying during the trial. It came out when I was 16 and was transformative in its creativity. The CD hits hard on culture with some Spanish influence, some R&B, some rap, and a few song sung in his native Haitian Creole.
Every song and every skit is played straight on thru. I butcher the Haitian Creole songs but I will sing along to them even.

Phish- A Live One
- This was my introduction to Jam Band music when I was a freshman in HS as it had just been released a couple months earlier. 2 CDs with only 12 songs in total because so many were long as can be.
It opens with an incredible version of Bouncing Around the Room and closes with a near 13 minute long version of The Squirming Coil. I know every single piano key stroke in that song's long solo. It is one of the few things that will be locked in my long term memory when I am old and forgetting everything else.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band- Live 1975-85
- Another live album. Another greatest hits compilation...at least greatest hits of a specific 10 year span. I grew up on The Boss and have known every radio friendly(so not the 8min long versions) song since I was probably 6. This album hits all of those and so much more.
Its 40 songs of non-stop energy and stories.
- The Born to Run recording is legendary. So much energy.
- His interlude stories during Growin Up are something I memorized long ago and have annoyed my wife for almost 25 years by repeating during the songs(that she tolerates).
- The version of This Land is Your Land and his talk at the start introduced me to who Woody Guthrie is and some context to what Guthrie's intent was when writing that song. Bruce pays tribute to the song perfectly.
- This album's versions of I'm On Fire, My Hometown, Jersey Girl, Because the Night, Rosalita, and so many more are what is burned into my mind when I think of the songs.
- The first song of the entire album is an acoustic version of Thunder Road and it is the song I sang basically every night to both my kids for the first 6 years of their lives. Both knew the lyrics in full before they could read. There is no better song that has been recorded.

November Dave
04-21-2023, 10:11 AM
Two more that I haven't seen mentioned:
Beastie Boys Paul's Boutique
De La Soul 3 Feet High and Rising

To me these are the height of making music out of other music. They were released within a short time of one another in 1989 when the rules around sampling weren't well defined. 3 Feet High and Rising is finally available to stream after decades of being locked up due to copyright fights. An NPR station in Oregon or Washington did a thing where they played each song that was sampled on Paul's Boutique and it took days to get through them all. The history around each of these is fascinating, but totally overwhelmed by hitting "play" and listening the whole way through.

Honorable mention to But Seriously, Folks by Joe Walsh. Partly a context play because my entire family had this one on repeat for a whole summer when we more or less lived on my parents' 27 foot sailboat cruising around southern New England. It became a hit record because of Life's Been Good (the last song) but the rest of the songs are just beautiful and assembled/ordered in a masterful flow. Indian Summer has one of the best lyrics I've ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o8y0uLQY6M

XXtwindad
04-21-2023, 10:13 AM

To me these are the height of making music out of other music. They were released within a short time of one another in 1989 when the rules around sampling weren't well defined. 3 Feet High and Rising is finally available to stream after decades of being locked up due to copyright fights. An NPR station in Oregon or Washington did a thing where they played each song that was sampled on Paul's Boutique and it took days to get through them all. The history around each of these is fascinating, but totally overwhelmed by hitting "play" and listening the whole way through.

Honorable mention to But Seriously, Folks by Joe Walsh. Partly a context play because my entire family had this one on repeat for a whole summer when we more or less lived on my parents' 27 foot sailboat cruising around southern New England. It became a hit record because of Life's Been Good (the last song) but the rest of the songs are just beautiful and assembled/ordered in a masterful flow. Indian Summer has one of the best lyrics I've ever heard.

Excellent choices!

Stevemikesteve
04-21-2023, 10:17 AM
King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard- Changes
King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard- Ice Death Planets Lungs Mushrooms

We're a big music household, I'm pretty familiar with much of what's listed in this thread (thank you btw for the Phish mention in previous post).

I've been in deep with King Gizzard about 8 months or so. A lot of great albums from them, these 2 in my opinion are masterful.

echelon_john
04-21-2023, 10:20 AM
Both monster choices.

Turkle
04-21-2023, 10:21 AM
I've said for decades that my desert island album is Milestones by Miles Davis (1958). To my ears, it's the definitive statement of 1950s jazz, the year before everything blew up (1959, when Shape of Jazz to Come and Kind of Blue were released).

NHAero
04-21-2023, 10:58 AM
Paul Simon - Graceland
Steely Dan - Aja
Mark Knopfler - Sailing to Philadelphia
Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel 1
Oscar Peterson - Canadiana Suite
Roseanne Cash - The River & the Thread
The Band - The Band
Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
Bob Marley & the Wailers - Exodus

We could hang :banana:

yinzerniner
04-21-2023, 11:02 AM

Fantastic choices. A few others that haven't been mentioned in terms of hip-hop:

Bizzare Ride II The Pharcyde (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAaQDxpv5X8&list=PL8BE5E26D1A98BD41&ab_channel=jerudoriginal91) - The Pharcyde
Maybe a few more superfluous asides / skits that would become obnoxiously widespread in the coming years, but overall a phenomenal album without any filler songs. Varied production and melodies, lots of imaginative soundscape
and rhymes, and possibly the greatest rap lyric of all time:
"Now there she goes again, the dopest ethiopian..."

Things Fall Apart (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Pa27i42i0&list=PLsu7LVSxlIUAYDnyX9AUFTWXGKthDYm3I&ab_channel=TheRoots-Topic) - The Roots
Socially conscious, expertly arranged and performed with a real band playing instruments, and one of the great voices finally matching flow with verse. Also they're one of the few rap groups/artists whose live shows match their albums (the other notable example being the now-defunct Outkast)

And a couple relatively recent folk/country/rock superlatives:

Strange Trails (https://youtu.be/C9I4LULuw6w) - Lord Huron
A lot of the songs started as story vignettes for a feature film, and the imagery and atmosphere make that history obvious. Strong from start to finish. Have a soft spot for this album as well since it was at one of their concerts the first unofficial date me and the missus went on

Z (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q15sZK-8sPw&list=PLmzP977za2bL2dBZ5wggByKDKv9f0bmWm&ab_channel=MyMorningJacket-Topic) - My Morning Jacket
The album where they put it all together, and burst out of the "neo-country" box they'd been stuffed in for a lot of years. Legendary producer John Leckie (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Leckie) certainly helped as well.

NHAero
04-21-2023, 11:02 AM
Not competing for GOAT, but Genius Loves Company (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8ANB2FxMC6V8jSS_ROuVCGKpKgkhl5se) - Ray Charles singing duets with Natalie Cole, Elton John, Norah Jones, B.B. King, Gladys Knight, Diana Krall, Michael Mcdonald, Johnny Mathis, Van Morrison, Willie Nelson, Bonnie Raitt, James Taylor is a terrific album

72gmc
04-21-2023, 11:03 AM
An NPR station in Oregon or Washington did a thing where they played each song that was sampled on Paul's Boutique and it took days to get through them all. The history around each of these is fascinating, but totally overwhelmed by hitting "play" and listening the whole way through.

RE Joe Walsh: I feel like a happy weirdo owning his albums, so I'm glad we have an expansive definition of "perfect" that is as weird as he is.

RE the Paul's Boutique breakdown on KEXP: https://www.kexp.org/breakdown/paulsboutique/

It was a remarkable day of programming. The date was Friday, July 24th, 2015 if anyone wants to go looking.

JedB
04-21-2023, 11:29 AM
Iron Maiden - Live After Death

https://w0.peakpx.com/wallpaper/956/17/HD-wallpaper-live-after-death-metal-eddie-cool-iron-maiden.jpg

Baron Blubba
04-21-2023, 12:20 PM
I figure I'm the dude to follow up on that Live After Death mention...

I'm only going to mention one album per band, to keep it to the absolutely perfect creme de la creme.

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Deep Purple - Machine Head
Opeth - Blackwater Park (although my heart goes with Still Life)
Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down
Death - The Sound of Perseverance (best album in a discography of perfect albums)
Immolation - Close To A World Below
Boston - Bostom (Self Titled)
The Offspring - Smash
Dream Theater - Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory (Images & Words is also top-notch)
Overkill - The Years of Decay
Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Pearl Jam - Ten
Alice In Chains - Dirt

That's enough from me.

Michael Maddox
04-21-2023, 12:32 PM
80's Psych/Experimental:

John was a little crippled, midget, lesbian boy...but he stood TEN FEET TALL with a KNIFE!

Oh god...what an album.

Old School
04-21-2023, 12:34 PM
I HATE country music....

But....

this is the perfect album

Garth Brooks , "No Fences"

tv_vt
04-21-2023, 03:22 PM
This is an impossible ask. With so many genres and decades to choose from, just way too hard to narrow it down. I've seen lots of 'albums/cds/whatever' listed that are some of my favorites, for sure, but how do you narrow it down? I mean Janos Starker playing the Bach Cello Suites is amazing, but it's one guy. Or Coltrane, say My Favorite Things, that's perfect too. But then compare to the complexity of some of the best Yes albums like Tales from Topographic Oceans, and the work it must've taken to put that together, just wow.

I guess what I'm thinking is that there a tons of perfect albums out there, but - what are you in the mood to listen to tonight?

XXtwindad
04-21-2023, 03:29 PM
One more vote for a favorite album from my youth:

“The Raw and the Cooked” FYC

robin3mj
04-21-2023, 06:43 PM
I play this game constantly and in an effort to not color outside the lines too much will say this:

Joshua Tree is always in my top three.
Let it Be and the Wailers’ Catch a Fire would be 2a and 2b (as of this asking.)

zacstanley
04-21-2023, 11:45 PM
John was a little crippled, midget, lesbian boy...but he stood TEN FEET TALL with a KNIFE!

Oh god...what an album.

'John E. Smoke' - such an underrated, wild group of people. There is a crowd sourced documentary in the works...

tellyho
04-22-2023, 08:24 AM
Paul Simon's eponymous album

Allen Toussaint Life, Love and Faith

Franklin S
04-22-2023, 09:37 AM
“Ain’t it funny how a melody, can bring back a memory, take you to another place and time, completely change your state of mind”. Clint Black
”State of Mind”

Lots of great albums posted in this thread.

Different albums from different genres have influenced my live tremendously at different times, and in different ways. Rock, Country, Jazz, Pop, Blues, Alternative, & Soul. All of which I still listen to. Great artists/music/albums stand the test of time.

Perfect album
couldn’t honestly say, but right “now” I’m cranking “Love” by “The Cult”

pinkshogun
04-22-2023, 11:29 AM
Years ago I had a bad case of poison ivy and had to soak in an Avenno oatmeal bath, it was Yessongs on cassette that got me through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45z5cjI3k8E

72gmc
04-22-2023, 12:08 PM
^^^ prog rock is perfect for that use, isn’t it? When you just need to close your eyes and go somewhere else.

eddief
04-22-2023, 12:37 PM
the whole album with different duets...like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8tTwXv4glY

rain dogs
04-22-2023, 12:42 PM
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

and ... obviously.... Rain dogs.

pr@ttj
04-22-2023, 12:52 PM
The Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East

72gmc
04-22-2023, 07:32 PM
George Carlin: On the Road

https://youtu.be/2O7TTsPMsCY

jimcav
04-22-2023, 08:07 PM
I have some diverse tastes in music, and it is impossible to pick one perfect album.
There are some albums that not only stand on there own, but bring me back to a time and place with loved ones who are gone.

Billie Holiday Lady in Satin is one
Another is a Porgy and Bess, Miles Davis

already mentioned, but I loved it hanging with my HS best friends who are still my best friends, and still love it: US Joshua Tree

julian3141
04-22-2023, 09:16 PM
Lou Reed New York. For me this is the perfect album. A comple concept, brilliant lyrics and transports me to a very specific time and place

Louis
04-22-2023, 09:27 PM
The Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East

+1

I have the CD in my car's glove box (which contains more CDs than gloves) so it's on regular rotation for me. Several great, great jams on there.

shadco
04-22-2023, 09:59 PM
Dixie Chicken, Little Feat

12 Dreams of Doctor Sardonicus, Spirit

Second Winter, Johnny Winter

72gmc
04-22-2023, 10:23 PM
Lou Reed New York. For me this is the perfect album. A comple concept, brilliant lyrics and transports me to a very specific time and place

I’ve never listened to this entire album. Thanks for reminding me that I should.

1Dollar93
04-22-2023, 10:42 PM
Radiohead - OK Computer.

Additionally - some superfans created a 'superalbum' called 0110, where they intersperse OK Computer and In Rainbows (another amazing album) one song at a time. Worth a listen.

choke
04-23-2023, 02:56 AM
Yes - Close to the Edge. IMO this album is the pinnacle of progressive rock. The title song is an epic journey and the other 2 songs are two of my top 5 Yes songs.

Journey - Journey. This is the band's first album and it's nothing like the sound that made them famous (Steve Perry first appeared on their 4th album). Over the years I have put this on for numerous people who knew music, told them that it was a well known band and asked them to guess the band - no one ever has. Gregg Rolie and Neal Schon had just left Santana and that influence is obvious. They are joined by legendary drummer Aynsley Dunbar. IMO it's a gem of an album and relatively unknown.

Honorable mention
The Beatles - The Beatles (The White Album), Rubber Soul and Abbey Road
Aphrodite's Child - 666
Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention - Fillmore East June 1971

echelon_john
04-23-2023, 05:33 AM
A few more contenders. For me, a truly great/“greatest”/“perfect” album means no filler tracks/duds. Every track contributes. This is (again, IMO) why albums like London Calling miss the cut. (Yes iconic yes monster songs yes yes yes)

So when I think about perfect units, I would also consider:

XTC-Skylarking
The Specials-The Specials
Smashing Pumpkins-Gish
Neil Young & Crazy Horse-Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
Morphine-The Night
The Church-Starfish
Joe Jackson-Night & Day
Fugazi-13 Songs
Elliott Smith-Elliott Smith
Defeater-Lost Ground
Black Flag-My War

Baron Blubba
04-23-2023, 06:04 AM
Gish over Siamese Dream? Interesting choice!

superbowlpats
04-23-2023, 06:24 AM
The Wall

grateful
04-23-2023, 07:47 AM
Yes. Alice in Chains although I would substitute the Unplugged album.

Before my time, but I'm gonna agree the Who's Next album. It started great with the first listen and only gets better with age.

But for one more of my era I'm gonna say Dirt by Alice in Chains. It's such a dark and sinister album, kinda like how I felt when it came out. I still love it when I occasionally listen to it.

julian3141
04-23-2023, 09:46 AM
Morphine never gets the love the deserve. A truly unique band and a incredible sound.

XXtwindad
04-23-2023, 09:50 AM
Gish over Siamese Dream? Interesting choice!

This.

XXtwindad
04-23-2023, 09:51 AM
Morphine never gets the love the deserve. A truly unique band and a incredible sound.

Yup.

fourflys
04-23-2023, 10:36 AM
)

XTC-Skylarking

yes, yes, yes! I found XTC as a freshman in HS.. such and awesome album!

zacstanley
04-23-2023, 10:26 PM
A few more contenders. For me, a truly great/“greatest”/“perfect” album means no filler tracks/duds. Every track contributes. This is (again, IMO) why albums like London Calling miss the cut. (Yes iconic yes monster songs yes yes yes)

XTC-Skylarking
The Specials-The Specials
Smashing Pumpkins-Gish
Neil Young & Crazy Horse-Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
Morphine-The Night
The Church-Starfish
Joe Jackson-Night & Day
Fugazi-13 Songs
Elliott Smith-Elliott Smith
Defeater-Lost Ground
Black Flag-My War

To be fair 13 Songs is actually a compilation of the first two Fugazi eps combined: Fugazi and Margin Waker.

dmurphey
04-23-2023, 10:40 PM
I added few fav albums to the list a couple years ago but left one out:

Guy Clark-Old Number 1, from 1975

It doesn't get better than Guy Clark

echelon_john
04-24-2023, 02:21 AM
You are correct. Still hangs together perfectly as a unit imo. 👍To be fair 13 Songs is actually a compilation of the first two Fugazi eps combined: Fugazi and Margin Waker.

echelon_john
04-27-2023, 01:17 AM
One more to add; out of character as I tend to like harder/heavier stuff, but Tori Amos’ Little Earthquakes is damn near perfect.