PDA

View Full Version : Boston advice

Alan
08-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Looks like I am headed to the Boston area to work for a tech start-up and need some advice about location etc. to maximize cycling enjoyment vs work commuting. I believe the office will be relocated to Cambridge in the near future. This is a permanent gig but I don't expect it to be forever.

My usual preference is to be close to work for commuting as I will be working a lot but try to be in a spot where I can hit club rides on weekends as I will have no idea how to get started and where to go on rides. I like a good 4 hr rural ride on a Sat and don't like to drive to the rides. Maybe I can't be that picky in Boston.

I usually find people who want roommates as a starting point when I get to a new spot so I need to be in an area w potential to connect w people who want to fill a spot.

Any advice is appreciated. Feel free to pm me if easier.

Alan

BillG
08-14-2010, 04:48 PM
You will have no problems living in Cambridge. I live in Cambridgeport. In Cambridge you are within reach of many terrific 4 hour rides -- Concord, Carlisle, Sudbury, Dover, etc. -- and many group rides but a walk away from night life, the Charles River, etc. If Cambridge is too pricey, then Somerville is similar but cheaper. Davis Square in particular is a good location for a cyclist, out towards the bike path but right in the thick of things (as is Porter Square and the area around Tufts). Arlington is great, a bit further out and less activity, but some activity and closer to the best riding.

false_Aest
08-14-2010, 04:57 PM
Bill has it down.

You should also remember that Boston, at its widest point, is only 8 miles across.

There's a lot of nice areas that are "not that far" from where you'll be.

You should get a hold of TiDesigns. He'll whip you ass into more betterer shape.

FWIW, I left Boston in a big effin' hurry about 2 years ago---couldn't wait to leave. Now I miss the area A LOT! I especially miss riding in autumn.
-----

Also, one of the best things you can do in Boston is to do a brewery tour on bike. Sam Adams is in JP, Harpoon is just north of Southie, theres a small brewery near Fenway . . . and 2 others close by (I can't recall their names right now).

You ride you bike. You travel for free. You drink beer. You get lit for free. (Save getting lit for the last stop so you can rock dinner and sober up before you try to get home).

Climb01742
08-14-2010, 05:34 PM
billg is spot on. as long as you have access to the western suburbs, you can find great, long rides.

1centaur
08-14-2010, 08:38 PM
And I'll nominate the North Shore for great rides, since I live there.

Seek out the Charles River Wheelmen site and look at their route maps.

fieldrecordings
08-14-2010, 11:38 PM
After grad school, I left Boston in a huff but like false_aest, I miss it. (Not enough to go back, though!) I'll 2nd the Somerville recommendation, even over Cambridge. Close enough to take advantage of all of Cambridge's great places but with cheaper rents. A bit less crowded with students & tourists, too

MattTuck
08-15-2010, 01:03 AM
Not sure what you're looking for socially or how old you are.

Somerville & Cambridge are (in my opinion) young towns.

I'd suggest you also look at Arlington and Watertown. Both border Cambridge, and would be easy to commute from, and they have decent rents, and aren't as over run with people 3 years out of undergrad.

I'd offer to grab drinks with you once you arrive in the area, but I'm spending the next 6 months in Seattle.

echelon_john
08-15-2010, 09:40 AM
lots of great advice. for bike commuting to cambridge, arlington/lexington are both excellent. i rode from the arlington/lexington border to kendall square for a couple of years; 11 flat miles each way--perfect for an easy <45 minute commute. both towns also offer excellent access to rt 2, and not bad access to 93 if you want to get out of dodge to the north or west.

somerville, b/c of proximity and type of housing unit, has a more collegiate/student/artsy feel; arlington somewhere in the middle, and lexington more grown up/money/chichi. if you're renting there will be a lot more options in somerville, cambridge & arlington than lexington.

watertown is also really nice, and equally convenient to cambridge for commuting and ways to get out of town.

and put these on your list when you're hungry/thirsty:
- redbones, davis sq
- the burren, davis sq
- the field, central sq
- elephant walk, porter sq or beacon st
- anna's tacqueria, beacon st, harvard st, and i think other locations?
- deluxe cafe on clarendon st in the back bay/south end. great bar.
- village smokehouse, brookline village
- matt murphy's pub, brookline village

you can see where my biases lay! :beer:

ps alan--i have clients in cambridge who are larger tech companies that might have rental listings/share opportunities; PM me if you want me to check it out for you.

good luck!
john

Alan
08-15-2010, 02:58 PM
This is great advice, another forum benefit.

Alan

Alan
09-12-2010, 09:17 PM
I am in Boston trying to get settled. Our office is going to be near South Station. Any suggestions on sources of roommate situations as I don't want to sign a lease myself? I am trying to find a place to share w someone on the red line but I need parking also which is tough to find. Hopefully, will have my bike w me soon if I can find a good place.

Alan