PDA

View Full Version : Beware Cl Scams

thendenjeck
08-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Hey guys,

just wanted to let you know, someone has started using bikes on CL as scams in major cities. So if you see, e.g., a Serotta CdA for $800, you're likely to get a response like this:

hi,let me know your measures,right now i am with my family in summer holiday(but i'm still in US so it will not be a problem),and we can proceed with the bargain using FreightCo Company ,we will be protected ,they have repayment options,also they will guarantee the excelent status of the transaction,i will wait for your answer,thanx

don't even reply to the email. it's a scam.

be careful.

55/Rad
08-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Been seeing a lot of those lately. In Portland, L.A., Seattle and Bay Area. Pretty easy to cross check...just google the title of the ad and you'll see the other cities where it is listed.

dsteady
08-15-2010, 02:29 PM
thendenjeck,

Are you looking for a CdA? I have one I'm about to list. 55/56 with shorter TT.

daniel

dsteady
08-15-2010, 02:37 PM
thendenjeck,

Are you looking for a CdA? I have one I'm about to list. 55/56 with shorter TT.

daniel

Ah ha. Just saw you're other post.

Pete Serotta
08-15-2010, 03:16 PM
thanks for giving us a "heads up" PETE

TimmyB
08-15-2010, 03:48 PM
I've always wondered why scammers can never write using correct english/grammar. You'd think by now they'd realize it's a giant red flag to any potential buyer... Oh well, at least it makes it pretty easy to differentiate between them and the honest folk!

akelman
08-15-2010, 04:02 PM
Given the topic at hand, it might be worth mentioning that this (http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/bik/1889154517.html) apparently is a scam (http://www.pwctoday.com/f11/major-pwc-scam-craigslist-being-attempted-upstate-ny-294806.html). Too bad, really, as it's a beautiful bike. That said, the seller/scammer is pretending to be a soldier stationed in Iraq, so, ya know, beware of truly depraved people.

tuxbailey
08-15-2010, 06:15 PM
It is funny that they all have the grammatical errors such as space before the comma instead of after the comma. Very easy to spot the scams once you notice the pattern. Of course there is the obligatory third party shipping, escrow companies :)

firerescuefin
08-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Me think bike good fit you. Serotaa finest Italian workship. You not disapoint....

I am in. Can I send you a cashier's check or cash?

Keith A
08-15-2010, 08:06 PM
I've always wondered why scammers can never write using correct english/grammar. You'd think by now they'd realize it's a giant red flag to any potential buyer... Oh well, at least it makes it pretty easy to differentiate between them and the honest folk!Good point, but I expect at some point they'll get this figured out too...which will make it more difficult to spot them.

jvp
08-15-2010, 08:09 PM
I think some of them send out so many hooks, they can't keep up with what it is they are interested in..." I want to buy your item, it looks perfect" etc.