PDA

View Full Version : And now for something completely different...

Tom
04-12-2005, 07:42 AM
Or maybe not, in the sense of the "I'm a lucky guy" thread... with the urging of Karen, I wandered into Blue Sky the other day.

I wandered out having placed a deposit on a Legend.

Actually, I was chaperoned to Blue Sky by Karen because she wanted to make sure I didn't compromise.

So, in about a month or so the CSi becomes the classic ride I bring out on Sundays and I'll be putting in the big miles on an unpainted Legend w/Ouzo Pro, Chorus 10, K Elites (until next year or whenever Dollar vs Euro isn't so one-sided and a pair of Campy Neutrons is in the cards). I'd feel better if I didn't feel so guilty.

And guess what... The Jerk is right! They're telling me that the CSi should have 1-2 cm more stem... who knew.

I know, I know. I ride a CSi. How much better can it get? The idea is that I have a bike I can ride any time, any month, and is optimized for long rides with a lot of hills. When the days are long, I want to be able to hop on this baby and ride to the farm up in Vermont on the other side of the Green Mountains, 125 miles the short way, and not be concerned about taking the short way. Or, head on up into the Adirondacks and wander around for the better part of a Saturday.

I'm psyched.

Trouble
04-12-2005, 08:04 AM
Since they don't use salt on the roads here in the old pueblo, I don't live along the coast, I'm not going to live forever, the difference in weight is negligible and I'll probably buy another bike in 4-6 years I'ved ruled out paying the money for a Legend and opted for the CIII with (I think) Ouzo Pro fork.
Hopefully I can experience the same or very similar ride characteristics as the Legend without the cost.

jeffg
04-12-2005, 08:34 AM
Congrats! I love mine and cannot wait to ride it again (it is at a friend's in CA :crap: ). This is my first true bike love and one I will never get rid of ...

Even the jerk might approve of my "privateer" DC/gran fondo steed. (Deda 215 shallow round bars, 1st generation PMP Microroad crank, etc.)

Whoo hoo! :banana:

BumbleBeeDave
04-12-2005, 08:58 AM
I am VERY happy for you, though also a little bit jealous, remembering the "Oh, My God, it's really MINE!" feelings of pleasure when I got mine.

May I suggest the brushed finish with the Serotta logo in polished? I think that's how they do it. I saw one at open house and it is an incredibly elegant, understated finish. I know that seems to be what you like . . .

BBDave

RABikes2
04-12-2005, 09:02 AM
I wandered out having placed a deposit on a Legend.

I'm psyched.

Congrats on your new bike Tom! You are going to love the Legend. They are so sweet! :D

RA

Climb01742
04-12-2005, 10:30 AM
tom, i rode my IF ti CJ this weekend for the first time in many months. ti is indeed oh so sweet. i think you made a great, great choice. someday i'll ask kelly to make me a "weakling's" legend. i think you'll soon be in heaven. now, for me if i can just wait about 30 more hours -- and it's darn hard -- i'll pick up a new ottrott in a paint scheme that puts a silly big orange grin on my face.

CNY rider
04-12-2005, 11:21 AM
I made the trip to BSB last summer, just before 4 July. I then spent the next 5 weeks building excitement, riding more and more miles on my old Trek.

Finally got the call and picked up my new Legend in mid-August. Even though I had designed the color scheme, the bike still took my breath away when I actually saw it. We're still getting to know each other better and better with each ride, but I can tell you you're getting something special. Enjoy the anticipation.

Tom
04-16-2005, 07:39 PM
I don't have all the numbers in front of me, but check this out:

The CSi, from August of 2001 - right before my last marathon. I rode and ran 50/50 in 2002, hip finally gave out, 2003 and 2004 only rode. According to my calculations I rode it just short of 11,500 miles. I hadn't ridden since my early twenties before that, having done nothing but run for lo these may years.

Fitted at the same place by the same people...

CSi: ST 59.5, TT 58.5, 11cm stem, 7cm BB drop, about 7cm seat:bar drop. 73 degree ST angle.

Legend: ST 58cm, TT 60.5cm (level), 12cm stem, 8cm BB drop (going to be redrafted at 7.5) about 5cm seat:bar drop. 74 degree ST angle.

I hear this, I'm thinking whoa... that can't be right. 3cm longer? Then I'm riding today, and I realize when I'm on the hoods, I actually have the points in the middle of my palms. I'm out there now... and in the drops, when I truly flatten out, I feel like my hands are pushed back. This is gonna be one sweet feeling bike!

And I'm either putting a 12 or a 13 stem on the CSi. But, that happens after the checkbook has been rebuilt from a pile of smoking rubble.

And, on the playing in traffic theme, I'm coming home up Union Street today, gving the parked cars anti-dooring room. One car passes, then honk! hooooonnk! and since I'm passing the last parked car I drift over (there was a lot of room anyway) and slowly goes by a big white Caddy with license plate 'dryclean'. Anyway, I catch him at the next red light. I figure I am not going around him and shooting ahead at the green even though I could, no need to rile the guy. He oozes away from the light and I realize I can keep up with him, so I simply draft right behind him. For like a half a mile. I mean, I'm right in his rear view mirror. I'm looking out through his windshield to avoid the potholes. It was great. He finally looks up, jumps about a foot, and quickly accelerates away. I wave and smile, thank him for the draft and turn toward home.

BumbleBeeDave
04-16-2005, 10:11 PM
. . . it always scares me when you follow me like that. Please stop.

DryCleanDave

slowgoing
04-16-2005, 10:19 PM
Tom - Congrats on the new bike, and the additional flexibility. I do have one question, though. Why did your sta go from 73 to 74? 74 is pretty steep for a longer legged fellow, as I presume you are from the size of the frame.

znfdl
04-16-2005, 10:29 PM
Tom:

You will love a Ti frame. I current have in excess of a 100K miles on Spectrum Ti, which was purchased over a decade ago and still going strong. I can appreciate the feeling for ordering a new biike as I just ordered a pair of Richards Sachs for my wife's and mine 15th anniversary. :banana:

Zinophile.

Needs Help
04-17-2005, 07:34 AM
Tom:
I just ordered a pair of Richards Sachs for my wife's and mine 15th anniversary. :banana:
Zinophile.
Newlyweds, eh? :D

znfdl
04-17-2005, 07:25 PM
we still feel like newlyweds after 12 years. The only problem is the current wait for a Richard Sachs bike is 3 years, e.g. 15th anniversary.

Smiley
04-17-2005, 07:36 PM
Tom , the difference in reach may not be as BIG as you think , for starters the vertical drop on the CSI will tend to make it BIGGER , then you have not mentioned the handle bar reaches are they the same , lastly I caution you that the brake hoods between 9 speed and 10 speed are longer . All these factors may or may not negate each other . In any case if your riding with an 11 stem on the CSI its OK to ride with a 12 , Now one last thing thats probably the biggest factor is the STA , the CSI will be longer just by virtue of the relaxed seat angle , what are they suggesting for off-set for the Legend seat post ? my guess a non off-set post . See way too may things to change . Why have you not made these changes now to the CSI and get your body ready to accept the new bike when it comes in . I'd do these changes NOW .