PDA

View Full Version : Bearings for American Classic 350 Sprint Wheels - Help?

tlarwa
08-12-2010, 08:44 AM
I just picked up a set of American Classic 350 Sprint wheels, with the new version hubs. The front hub uses model 688 bearings and the rear uses 6803-C3 (per the AC website). They want $240 for a complete set of ceramic bearings, but I have to believe they can be had at a better price elsewhere. Same for the non-ceramic bearings. I've seen the 688 bearings on other sites (industrial supply, bike supply, etc.) but I have not seen any designated as 6803-C3. I have seen 6803, but they don't have the C# designation. Can anyone tell me exactly what to look for, and where a good source might be? If you've sourced them for these hubs, that would be best, since I'd know for sure they worked!

Thanks for the help.

Tom

Dave
08-12-2010, 09:14 AM
The other letters and numbers are not needed to order equivalent bearings of another brands. As long as you get bearings with the proper OD, ID and thickness with rubber seals, that's all you need.

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id139.html

oldpotatoe
08-12-2010, 10:30 AM
I just picked up a set of American Classic 350 Sprint wheels, with the new version hubs. The front hub uses model 688 bearings and the rear uses 6803-C3 (per the AC website). They want $240 for a complete set of ceramic bearings, but I have to believe they can be had at a better price elsewhere. Same for the non-ceramic bearings. I've seen the 688 bearings on other sites (industrial supply, bike supply, etc.) but I have not seen any designated as 6803-C3. I have seen 6803, but they don't have the C# designation. Can anyone tell me exactly what to look for, and where a good source might be? If you've sourced them for these hubs, that would be best, since I'd know for sure they worked!

Thanks for the help.

Tom

A decent bike shop should have 688 and 6803 bearings, don't waste your $ on ceramics. If they are lots cheaper you can be sure they are just standard cart bearings with ceramic balls and w/o hardened steel cups and cones they won't last long. I sell these for $10 per, altho I only have one 6803 right now, normally have half dozen or so but these are used in lots of freehub bodies.

cmg
08-12-2010, 10:36 AM
try superfly cycles http://www.superflycycles.com/servlet/-strse-Enduro-Ceramic-Bearings-cln-Zero-Grade-3-Wheelkits/Categories for example. $240 for all ceramic bearings is a pretty good deal. suspect the ones you were looking at were hybrids, ceramic coated steel balls in high grade steel races. Still not bad. go to the american classic website and look up what the the proper OD, ID and thickness with rubber seals are. i use a high abec number hybrids, there fine. just get some enduro's from superfly.