PDA

View Full Version : Sram Red vs 7900 Crankset

TimmyB
08-11-2010, 11:34 PM
Hello!

I did a search on the forums but didn't come up with much so I figured I'd start a new discussion. Currently my race bike is setup with a sram red/DA split. Sram red shifters and rd. 7800 FD 7900 crankset and bb. KMC x10sl chain.

I've decided that I need to switch out the crankset (it's a compact 172.5) for a standard 175mm. I originally got the shorter crank arms and compact to put less strain on the knees because I had been having some issues, as well as to be able to pedal through more turns in crits. At the time, my bike was Dura ace 7800, so it made sense to get the dura ace crankset.

I decided I wanted to try out sram, so I got the shifters and rd, since the dura ace fd/crankset would still work with the drivetrain.

From a performance standpoint this setup has worked well, and in a sense uses the better aspects of each group. Also the lightest parts of it.

But, from an aesthetic standpoint a complete group is more cohesive.

I really like the red shifting, so I don't plan to ditch any of that anytime soon. So the question then arises if I should ditch the 7900 crankset for another 7900 one, or get a red crankset and force FD and call it a day?

Which would you suggest and why?

EDIT: For the record, I'm a person that can definitely noticed the subtleties between different parts and am a big fan of stiffness. I noticed a slight improvement between the 7800 and 7900 crankset, while in the big ring. Similarly I've noticed a huge difference in climbing with the 2.5mm difference between the 175mm crankset on my steelman and the 172.5mm on my cervelo soloist carbon.

firerescuefin
08-12-2010, 12:28 AM
Hello!

From a performance standpoint this setup has worked well, and in a sense uses the better aspects of each group. Also the lightest parts of it.

Performance is good.

But, from an aesthetic standpoint a complete group is more cohesive.

Ahhh...the way it looks. See if your LBS or a friend that has that crankset will let you give it a go. If not....performance is good.

I've noticed a huge difference in climbing with the 2.5mm difference between the 175mm crankset on my steelman and the 172.5mm on my cervelo soloist carbon.

Is a comparison between a soloist and a steelman comparing apples to apples? There's a lot more different between those to bikes than just 2.5mm in a crankset.

TimmyB
08-12-2010, 01:18 AM
You bring up a good point with the apples to apples bit. I should have mentioned that prior to the compact, I had a standard 7800 175mm crankset on the cervelo. I felt a loss in both power and climbing ability when I switched to the compact 172.5. I originally attributed that to using slightly different leg muscles since the pedal stroke would be slightly smaller. I switched the crankset last fall, and got stronger over the season, so it sort of drifted to the back of my mind. But then in riding the steelman, the pedal stroke felt definitely more natural, and I am able to push a bigger gear. The bikes certainly ride differently, the steelman more was an eye opener that I did in fact suffer a decrease in leverage/feel with the slightly shorter cranks. It's worth mentioning that I'm 6ft tall.

As an aside, I'm also considering the rotor cranks route. Though those seem harder to come buy on the used market...