PDA

View Full Version : For the car buffs...Mercedes Benz C300

dd74
08-11-2010, 09:30 PM
Our ML 320 diesel had to go in for service as the serpentine belt broke on it. As a loner, I was given a Mercedes Benz C300. This was the second C-series I've been loaned in as many months, since our vehicle had an earlier water pump issue. Anyway, talk about a great all-around vehicle.

Great power - like scary fast power, handles and brakes well, and gets respectable mileage. Plus the car is on the small side which means, yes, you can park it at the grocery store. They're not too expensive as the dealership said they run about mid-$30 to $40K. Not bad when you consider the great M-B service that comes with the car.

Anyway, just a heads up for those of you looking for a new car. If possible, look at the M-B. It looks like it can also haul a bicycle if need be. :)

TimD
08-12-2010, 08:02 AM
The 3.0 is rated at 228 HP and will accelerate the car from 0 to 60 in about 7s. Not exactly road-burning performance (and not faster than an I-4 Acura TSX) but more than adequate for commuting and driving around town.

Combined with the 221 ft-lbs torque rating, the drive-by-wire throttle map and the 1st & 2nd gear ratios may make the car feel faster than it really is...

If you want fast, there's another manufacturer with their HQ just across town :)

pjm
08-12-2010, 08:04 AM
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/08q1/2007_bmw_328i_vs._2008_cadillac_cts_di_2008_m-b_c300_sport_2008_infiniti_g35_sport-comparison_tests
I drove one before I bought my 328i. I'd have to agree with their assessment.
Can't compete with the benchmark.

fourflys
08-12-2010, 08:51 AM
I've had a couple of those as a loaner for service on my C230 as well... VERY nice cars in the engine bay and in the interior, but the exterior styling (as compared to my '06 C230) is just OK for me...

For the price they cost and the somewhat bland styling (for my anyway), I would be looking at an Infiniti G37 or maybe a Lexus IS.... MB cars are great and the service costs aren't as bad as some make them out to be, but I think there are cars that are just as good and might be a little cheaper if you don't have to have the Silver Star... BTW- I'm not sure why ANYONE would buy an MB (or any car) brand new anyway... I got my C class for around half of what it cost new and was still under warranty...

fourflys
08-12-2010, 08:57 AM
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/08q1/2007_bmw_328i_vs._2008_cadillac_cts_di_2008_m-b_c300_sport_2008_infiniti_g35_sport-comparison_tests
I drove one before I bought my 328i. I'd have to agree with their assessment.
Can't compete with the benchmark.

it's strange, but I've never put the 3 series and the C class in the same category for sport driving... if I was buying a car for pure sport driving and handling, it would be a 3 series over the C class hands down... But, for a more commuter/family friendly car that might be a bit more comfortable on trips for those in the backseat, I think the C class wins...

Plus in SoCal, EVERYONE has a 3 series (they're like Corollas here) and it seemed there were slightly less Mars Red C230's... ;)

MarcusPless
08-12-2010, 08:58 AM
No actual experience, but I'm guessing it's no Honda Elephent. :D

(NOTE: I love my Element)

zap
08-12-2010, 09:27 AM
We have two MB's so we get a C300 loaner 2-3 times each year. Handles well up to the limit then it gets a little odd.

Still, it's a nice machine and if MB ever brings the diesel model over here, could be our next car........with sports suspension.

coylifut
08-12-2010, 10:29 AM
I have both a MB C300 that I bought for my wife and a BMW 330i that I bought for my daughter. The 330i is certainly a hotter car, but I'd pick the MB for all day comfort and general driving around town. My one complaint regarding the MB is although the interior is wonderfully ergonomic, the materials and finishes are a step backwards from previous years.

Ahneida Ride
08-12-2010, 10:37 AM
No actual experience, but I'm guessing it's no Honda Elephent. :D

(NOTE: I love my Element)

Me too ! with a stick shift !!!!!

fourflys
08-12-2010, 11:02 AM
a BMW 330i that I bought for my daughter.
Wow, you're much nicer than me... I was just going to get my daughter a used honda... ;)

William
08-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Would it be out of line to get William Jr. A Benz? I've got a couple years to decide. He seems to like this one.

William

dd74
08-12-2010, 12:32 PM
it's strange, but I've never put the 3 series and the C class in the same category for sport driving... if I was buying a car for pure sport driving and handling, it would be a 3 series over the C class hands down... But, for a more commuter/family friendly car that might be a bit more comfortable on trips for those in the backseat, I think the C class wins...

Plus in SoCal, EVERYONE has a 3 series (they're like Corollas here) and it seemed there were slightly less Mars Red C230's... ;)
+1. If you talk to a M-B sales or service person about how a C-series compares to a 3-series, the first they'll say is "they don't compare." And never have. The BMW is a true sports sedan, while the M-B is not.

That was some PR muck the American car magazines and press made up long ago, comparing M-B to BMW. Dating back to the 2002, the BMW was always the sports sedan, while M-B was building 450 SELs with big 4.5 and 6.3 liter V8s; sort of the Cadillac of German-made cars.

When I was a kid, I used to go to club races at Riverside Raceway, Willow Springs and Laguna Seca, and never once saw a M-B compete in the same race with a BMW. Not that they couldn't, but I've never encountered someone who thought M-B and BMW are, in stock form, sporting competitors.

At the dealership they did say if a person really wants BMW-type performance from a M-B, they'll have to refer to AMG.

Oh yeah, and in L.A., it's true; BMWs are a dime a dozen.

SEABREEZE
08-12-2010, 01:49 PM
If I hit the lottery, or a inheridence give me a

Porsche 911 GT 2 RS OR
Audi R 8

Then again to frugel to spend that kind of money

I would serious consider a

MB C63 AMG

Climb01742
08-12-2010, 03:33 PM
the one MB i'd take over a BMW would be 450 SEL 6.9.

goonster
08-12-2010, 03:55 PM
I've never encountered someone who thought M-B and BMW are, in stock form, sporting competitors.
Once upon a time, there was an exception . . .

http://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/1987_Mercedes_Benz_190E_2.3_16_Valve_Cosworth_For_ Sale_Rear_1.jpg

Mr. Squirrel
08-12-2010, 04:07 PM
i traded four sets of edge front wheels for my mb.

mr. squirrel

http://www.fmft.net/squirrel%20rabbit%20shooting%20pets%20pet%20Merced es.jpg

creating juking cyclists since 2007

dgauthier
08-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Mercedes ain't what it used to be. Our dealer loaned us a 2010 C class with 700 miles on it while our 1998 C280 was in the shop overnight. Both my wife and I agreed that her '98 C class -- with 102,000 miles on it -- was more solid, drove better, and was more comfortable than this nearly new 2010 model. The new car was certainly *nice*, but it just felt flimsier and flexier by comparison.

It made us want to keep the '98 another 10 years.

FlashUNC
08-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Those 190E Cossies were insane cars. I think we're all the worse off now that the days of homologation are gone.

avalonracing
08-12-2010, 04:22 PM
I'd take a C55 or a C63 over a M3 anytime. If for no other reason than there are SOOOO MANY M3s.

Then again I chose a C230 over a 328.

SoCalSteve
08-12-2010, 04:28 PM
+1. If you talk to a M-B sales or service person about how a C-series compares to a 3-series, the first they'll say is "they don't compare." And never have. The BMW is a true sports sedan, while the M-B is not.

That was some PR muck the American car magazines and press made up long ago, comparing M-B to BMW. Dating back to the 2002, the BMW was always the sports sedan, while M-B was building 450 SELs with big 4.5 and 6.3 liter V8s; sort of the Cadillac of German-made cars.

When I was a kid, I used to go to club races at Riverside Raceway, Willow Springs and Laguna Seca, and never once saw a M-B compete in the same race with a BMW. Not that they couldn't, but I've never encountered someone who thought M-B and BMW are, in stock form, sporting competitors.

At the dealership they did say if a person really wants BMW-type performance from a M-B, they'll have to refer to AMG.

Oh yeah, and in L.A., it's true; BMWs are a dime a dozen.

In L.A. every car is a "dime a dozen" except maybe a Bugatti Veyron.

I had to drive a $250K Aston Martin today for my job and people didn't even turn their heads to look at it when I drove by.

jeffreyt
08-12-2010, 05:07 PM
When test driving last year... I found the C300 to be much less energetic then my 325. So, I bought the C350 instead, and I'm very happy with my choice. Also in my opinion, the BMW 3's and MB C's should not really be compared to each other in there driving characteristics.
Jeff

Tony Edwards
08-12-2010, 05:57 PM
I recently drove a brand-new C class (admittedly a 2-liter diesel) about 800 miles during a vacation in France. It wasn't bad but it had some indefensible ergonomic glitches. It's damnably easy to grab the cruise-control stalk instead of the turn signal, and the car has a foot-actuated E brake even with a stick (admittedly the latter is a non-issue in the States, where manual-equipped M-B cars aren't sold).

Overall I thought the car was perfectly nice to drive but I prefer my BMW 3-series (a 2006 330i with 6MT, and Sport, Premium and Cold Weather packages) in every respect.

SEABREEZE
08-12-2010, 06:18 PM
I recently drove a brand-new C class (admittedly a 2-liter diesel) about 800 miles during a vacation in France. It wasn't bad but it had some indefensible ergonomic glitches. It's damnably easy to grab the cruise-control stalk instead of the turn signal, and the car has a foot-actuated E brake even with a stick (admittedly the latter is a non-issue in the States, where manual-equipped M-B cars aren't sold).

Overall I thought the car was perfectly nice to drive but I prefer my BMW 3-series (a 2006 330i with 6MT, and Sport, Premium and Cold Weather packages) in every respect.

Sure bet you liked the mpg it gave you

dd74
08-12-2010, 07:52 PM
http://image.motortrend.com/f/auto-news/lower-classes-mercedes-benz-counts-on-new-b-and-c-class-for-growth/29272318+w750/2010-mercedes-benz-b-class-front-three-quarter-view.jpg
Supposedly the B-series is bound for America later this year, and hopefully with a turbo diesel and 6 speed. 40+ mpg with room for bicycles. The $32K entry cost is a bit dear, though.

I still think diesel is the way to go, even as it cost more in the U.S. and diesels are an option, whereas in Europe, they're standard equipment (gasoline engines are options, in fact). Unfortunately, aside from VW, the diesels sold here are just stupid expensive.

Drove this in Lucca, Florence and Rome just about a month ago:
http://www.greencarsite.co.uk/GREENCARS/green-cars-photos/fiat-panda-diesel.jpg
1.4 liter turbo-diesel making about 95 hp but whole lot more torque. 5-speed, too. We averaged about 45 mpg. Could hit 100 mph easy. There was so much torque in this car, I barely had to shift gears in most city driving and passing situations.

I wish there were more turbo diesels out here other than M-B, BMW, and VW. I priced a BMW 335d and it was almost as much as M3. :rolleyes:

Ken Robb
08-12-2010, 08:05 PM
I'd take a C55 or a C63 over a M3 anytime. If for no other reason than there are SOOOO MANY M3s.

Then again I chose a C230 over a 328.

Based on this criterion you would really want a Trabant. :)

Ken Robb
08-12-2010, 08:12 PM
I drove a couple of Mazda3 hatchback 4 doors last week and was very impressed. Great ride/handling compromise in the standard models and nice crisp firm handlng in the Speed3 Turbo. Actual sale price quotes $19,000-23,000. The latest VW GTI is really good too but tough to buy one under $25,000. The VW dual clutch automatic is a really good high performance transmission and almost as smooth as the common automatics w/torque converters.

Tony Edwards
08-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Sure bet you liked the mpg it gave you

No question - the mileage was remarkable, and it still had enough poke to feel safe and comfortable on superhighways and steep mountain passes. Honestly it was my first experience with a modern diesel car and it was very impressive in terms of its mileage/livability quotient. Obviously that matters more in Europe (where gas is quite costly) than in the States, but I was most impressed.

djg
08-12-2010, 09:27 PM
+Oh yeah, and in L.A., it's true; BMWs are a dime a dozen.

That's a really good deal.

Here in unglamorous Arlington, VA, 3-series BMWs are everywhere too. S'ok. Mine came out of a factory and I know they made more. I really like my car all the same.

fourflys
08-12-2010, 09:37 PM
I drove a couple of Mazda3 hatchback 4 doors last week and was very impressed. Great ride/handling compromise in the standard models and nice crisp firm handlng in the Speed3 Turbo. Actual sale price quotes $19,000-23,000. The latest VW GTI is really good too but tough to buy one under $25,000. The VW dual clutch automatic is a really good high performance transmission and almost as smooth as the common automatics w/torque converters.

My mom-in-law has the 4 door Mazda 3 hatch loaded out and you are correct, very fun to drive and room in the back...

really hard to beat a Mazda for value...

dd74
08-12-2010, 10:25 PM
The VW dual clutch automatic is a really good high performance transmission and almost as smooth as the common automatics w/torque converters.
Very true. While on the bike today, a GTI with the dual clutch auto took off from a stoplight at speed. I don't care if a person shifts as fast as Mario Andretti or Michael Schumacher, no one is going to be faster than the VW's transmission. It also lets out a very nice pop from the tailpipes with each shift. A cool car, indeed.

dd74
08-12-2010, 10:30 PM
That's a really good deal.

Here in unglamorous Arlington, VA, 3-series BMWs are everywhere too. S'ok. Mine came out of a factory and I know they made more. I really like my car all the same.
"A dime a dozen" was written sarcastically. All I'm saying is there are so many of them here, that they become rather ubiquitous (common). It's the same with Mercedes-Benz cars and now Mini Coopers. It's not by any means a slight against the brand on my part. Consumers know a good car - they're smart. That's also why there are more Cadillac cars on the road here than I can ever remember.

dd74
08-12-2010, 10:34 PM
In L.A. every car is a "dime a dozen" except maybe a Bugatti Veyron.
I've seen one in Brentwood on San Vicente blvd; probably the only place you could open it up to, what, 80 mph of its 250 or so top speed. That's one sick beast of a vehicle.

Here's another cool M-B btw:
http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/02april/unimog.jpg

rdparadise
08-12-2010, 10:44 PM
Guys;

I bought an off lease E320-CDI in April of 2008. This is the diesel model and I bought it because of the luxury and gas mileage. 35mph on long highway trips and 27 around town as long as I don't drive it like a rabbit. All in all, one hell of a car and under 30k used. I've put 40,000 in just about 2 1/2 years and have had no issues whatsoever besides normal maintenance and 4 new sneakers.

I like the Bmers and now they offer a diesel in their 3 series as well. I'm sure this is a nice sporty ride too.

Just me 2 cents for the thread.

Bob

djg
08-12-2010, 11:29 PM
"A dime a dozen" was written sarcastically. All I'm saying is there are so many of them here, that they become rather ubiquitous (common). It's the same with Mercedes-Benz cars and now Mini Coopers. It's not by any means a slight against the brand on my part. Consumers know a good car - they're smart. That's also why there are more Cadillac cars on the road here than I can ever remember.

Dude, it's cool. I'm familiar with the expression. Not feeling slighted -- no worries.

coylifut
08-13-2010, 12:11 AM
I had the E320 CDI and it was a great car. Tons of torque and as the car got older, it got better mileage. I'd get 37 on the open highway.

Louis
08-13-2010, 01:22 AM
I know I'll soon (a few years) be on the other side of 50 years old, but just the same, I don't think I'm old enough for a Mercedes (sedan or coupe). For one thing, not all of my hair has a) turned gray or b) fallen out.

They do have an age limit, don't they? What is it, no male below 60 allowed to purchase and/or drive one? Or is it 65? ;)

fourflys
08-13-2010, 09:19 AM
I know I'll soon (a few years) be on the other side of 50 years old, but just the same, I don't think I'm old enough for a Mercedes (sedan or coupe). For one thing, not all of my hair has a) turned gray or b) fallen out.

They do have an age limit, don't they? What is it, no male below 60 allowed to purchase and/or drive one? Or is it 65? ;)

well, at least half of my hair is gray/white at age 36... I guess that's why I got my Benz.... :D