PDA

View Full Version : Convert road bike to flat bar advice

amgc36
08-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Hi,

I am thinking about converting a small Litespeed Bella from drops to a flat bar. Right now, it has 105 shifters, a Ritchey 40CM drop handlebar and a 90mm stem. It may be a combination of the reach and unfamiliarity/discomfort with being bent over to ride. My friend is fairly new to cycling and I think that flat or Nitto bars might be a good interim step. In other respects, I am pretty sure the frame is the right size for her.

Can someone point me in the direction of what will need to be changed? I am thinking bars, maybe size up the stem to 100, increase to plus 10 rather than plus 6. How should I deal with the shifters? They are 105, 10 speed. Do I need to go to bar end on a Nitto and MTB style? Does anyone have any experience on Shimano's 10 speed flat bar shifters and brake setup?

Rides would be mostly flat, light, short rolling hills and low to moderate speeds (bike lane/path). Advice on which bars would be especially helpful. Can you stand up and pedal with a moustache bar or are the side flares only good for cruising?

If this works out, maybe I'll convert my 95 Legend Ti, too and join in on the fun.

Thanks,

William

amgc36
08-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Also, just read up. Will there be a problem finding brake levers for the road calipers?

vqdriver
08-11-2010, 05:21 PM
shimano 10sp flatbar shifters work well. i wouldn't get too creative there.
depending on budget, you may want to go with mtb shifters which cost less, work just as well, and will give you the full range of mtb cassettes if lower gearing is desired (you'll need a longer cage der of course).

just be sure to get the canti brake levers to work with road brakes.

Dave
08-11-2010, 05:47 PM
You'll need more than 10mm increase in stem length. Measure the distance from the bar centerline to a 1" dowel rod spanning between the area where the crook of you thumb rests - a lot more than 10mm.

eddief
08-11-2010, 06:32 PM
you could put barend shifters in Paul Thumbies.

and super elcheapo short pull brake levers:

http://aebike.com/product/tektro-319ac-short-pull-bmx-brake-levers-pair-blk-sku-br7439-qc30.htm

michael white
08-11-2010, 06:50 PM
I put the Nitto flat bars from Jitensha studio on a road bike, and the results are very good for town riding. I don't regret it at all. The stem I used was maybe a tiny bit longer than normal, but not much.

If I didn't have that bar, I'd use one of the offerings from VO.

Frankwurst
08-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Hi,

I am thinking about converting a small Litespeed Bella from drops to a flat bar. Right now, it has 105 shifters, a Ritchey 40CM drop handlebar and a 90mm stem. It may be a combination of the reach and unfamiliarity/discomfort with being bent over to ride. My friend is fairly new to cycling and I think that flat or Nitto bars might be a good interim step. In other respects, I am pretty sure the frame is the right size for her.

Can someone point me in the direction of what will need to be changed? I am thinking bars, maybe size up the stem to 100, increase to plus 10 rather than plus 6. How should I deal with the shifters? They are 105, 10 speed. Do I need to go to bar end on a Nitto and MTB style? Does anyone have any experience on Shimano's 10 speed flat bar shifters and brake setup?

Rides would be mostly flat, light, short rolling hills and low to moderate speeds (bike lane/path). Advice on which bars would be especially helpful. Can you stand up and pedal with a moustache bar or are the side flares only good for cruising?

If this works out, maybe I'll convert my 95 Legend Ti, too and join in on the fun.

Thanks,

William

I use moustache bars on two bikes. you can climb, sprint or cruise. Bar cons on one, down tubes on the other. They work for me but they seem to be an either love'em or hate'em bar. You could use the shifters on them and change the stem might be a little different but it should work. :beer:

Lifelover
08-11-2010, 07:04 PM
I did the same to an old airborne recently. Jenson had the beast prices for the stuff I needed.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4071/4544710336_f69f593c4c_z.jpg

They have Sram has a 10 Speed thumb shifter (http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/SL271A00-Sram+X7+Trigger+Shifter+Set+10+Speed.aspx) set for $90. I don't know for sure but I suspect they would work fine with shimano cassette.

The brake levers are not a problem. Shimano flat bar brake lever (http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BL309D00-Shimano+Bl-R550+Flat+Bar+Road+Brake+Levr.aspx) for $20.

amgc36
08-12-2010, 04:33 PM
What is VO?

You're right, I figure the stem would need to go to 120, not sure steering will be as good at 130. Reach on the current bars is 82mm... I have a spare 120 and will try Nitto bars?

Anyone know what MTB levers work with road calipers? The big 4 letter auction site has the shifters and levers...Want to keep cost down since it is an experiment.

palincss
08-12-2010, 04:43 PM
What is VO?

VO almost certainy refers to Velo Orange http://www.velo-orange.com/haandst.html
Blog is http://velo-orange.blogspot.com/

toasttoast
08-12-2010, 05:18 PM
What is VO?

You're right, I figure the stem would need to go to 120, not sure steering will be as good at 130. Reach on the current bars is 82mm... I have a spare 120 and will try Nitto bars?

Anyone know what MTB levers work with road calipers? The big 4 letter auction site has the shifters and levers...Want to keep cost down since it is an experiment.

most "MTB" levers do NOT work for road brakes.

i have a set of the shimano BL R-550's posted above and find them quite excellent. there's a few other options, but the shimano ones are clean-looking and come with cable and housing for like $20.

oh, and my take on a flat-bar road bike: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=64905 :)

amgc36
08-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Hi,

Your mystery tubing Japanese bike looks sweet. I like the flat-riser setup. Maybe a 650B setup would've been ideal.

I'll check out the velo orange site, I know I've browsed it before, come to think of it.

dogdriver
08-12-2010, 07:27 PM
FWIW, I have a Salsa Woodchipper on my cross bike

http://salsacycles.com/components/woodchipper/

I was going thru the same process as you trying to create a do-everything-OK bike, was almost resigned to going with a flat bar (road bars don't work so well on singletrack) but didn't want to do mountain shifters if it could be avoided, and went with the 'Chipper as a last resort. Works great with brifters (they look funky on the flared drops but feel and work just fine), lots of hand positions, generally more upright than a road bar.

Chris

amgc36
08-15-2010, 02:22 PM
Now I am thinking instead of a flat bar, switching to 650B wheels, a 17 or 20 degree upright stem (90/6 to 100/17). That would shorten and raise the reach of the cockpit and then with 650B wheels, improve handling for my friend. At 5'4 she is probably around the lower limit of 700C wheels...

Has anyone tried a 700C>650B conversion? In this case, a change of wheels, new tires, probably 31mm or less (or maybe the 28mm) and long reach calipers should do the trick. It would also lower standover a touch...

Mike748
08-15-2010, 02:30 PM
I needed an extra 20mm on my stem when I converted. Using Ritchey riser bars. You'll need road or MTB levers made for cantilevers (aka short pull or standard pull), not V-brakes (aka linear pull). My favorites are the old Dia-Compe Versa compound pull levers. I've not had luck with those that supposedly work with either.

AngryScientist
08-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Now I am thinking instead of a flat bar, switching to 650B wheels, a 17 or 20 degree upright stem (90/6 to 100/17). That would shorten and raise the reach of the cockpit and then with 650B wheels, improve handling for my friend. At 5'4 she is probably around the lower limit of 700C wheels...

Has anyone tried a 700C>650B conversion? In this case, a change of wheels, new tires, probably 31mm or less (or maybe the 28mm) and long reach calipers should do the trick. It would also lower standover a touch...

have you looked into compact drop bars with a very short reach and shallow drop?? they completely change the feel of the cockpit of a bike, much more so than you would think to look at them. they would seem to be an ideal place for you to start looking.

sean
08-15-2010, 06:19 PM

I'm currently doing this with an old Trek 400 road frame. Just started the build. I'm going with Campy 8sp Record/Record OR mix. I've read some good things about ergo levers and mustache bars, so I'm trying that. I also got an old salsa positive rise stem in 110mm. I threw them on with the wheels for a quick fit and it felt good.

If you do go flatbar style, I would suggest the Jitensha/Nitto bars over straight bars as they are much more comfy with the wrist position. If you do this, I would do MTB levers and Thumbies.

Another setup I like are the Velo-Orange north style bars since they fit barcons. I did my wifes bike like this, very comfy. However, you may have to take an 1" or so off the end of the bar so your knees don't hit.

palincss
08-15-2010, 06:32 PM

650B tires don't come as narrow as 28mm.

amgc36
08-15-2010, 09:26 PM
Right, I was thinking of the Grand Bois Cerf 26 and 28 and 700C for my bike and the GB Cypres 32mm for hers.

sean
08-15-2010, 10:19 PM
I think you can get GB Cypress comes in 32c, but I've heard actual is 30mm.

The only problem is if your litespeed is like any others, clearance is not so good. I tried to put 28mm Challenge Paris Roubaix on my mid 90's Catalyst. No go.

Honestly, if you are thinking of a 650b, mid 80's Japanese bikes are the best. Centurion, Nishiki, Miyata, etc.

amgc36
08-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Thanks for all the advice. Time to pull out the tape measure and really figure out whether tires will fit etc.