PDA

View Full Version : Schwalbe Ultremo's?

BumbleBeeDave
08-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Anybody have any experience with these tires in everyday use?

BBD

rnhood
08-10-2010, 08:33 PM
I bought a pair of 23 Ultremos about a year ago but, never mounted them. I read that they cut easy and have been hesitant to put them on. Also, I have been so pleased with 25's that I really have no desire to go back to 23's. Anyway, if you want a pair of 23 Ultremos cheap then you can have these for $30 plus shipping. I don't need them.

1centaur
08-10-2010, 08:58 PM
I have a pair. They have not worn badly, but the trade off between Vittoria smooth and Schwalbe light can be felt. I would only buy them to minimize weight; ride quality is only average, IMO.

Jason E
08-10-2010, 09:35 PM
I've tried a set of the Durano's from Eric. I like them a lot so far. 600 miles and no flats on this set, which is always nice on a Tubular.

Part of it may be that they are mounted on the Atlanta and don't want to leave.

swg
08-10-2010, 10:29 PM
I also had and will have a set of Durano's on my Atlanta. Just got the frame back with a new paint job but I enjoyed them for the previous 500 miles. I agree with Jason that it is a possibility that they did not want to leave and probably want to return.

130R
08-10-2010, 11:01 PM
evo corsa cx > ultremo

cmg
08-11-2010, 08:35 AM
been riding the Ultremos since June, probably less than 500 miles on them. They are performing better than the veloflex paves i bought at the same time. Better durablity than the ones i had a year ago. I like them. waiting for Vittoria to improve the Diamante pro lights, those were my favorites.

Blue Jays
08-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Have a pair of the Schwalbe Ultremo R1.1 tires arriving from my LBS soon.
My regular tires are Continental GP4000s and Vredestein Fortezza TriComps, so I'm curious how the Schwalbe tires will stack-up.
Report to follow once mounted on my bicycle. The rubber seems grippy.

theprep
08-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Make sure you get the R.1 not the R. The R model has been recalled.

EddieBirdsell
08-11-2010, 10:45 AM
I picked up six Ultremos on a pro-deal a couple of years ago.

I very much enjoy the ride quality. Nice round profile, good grip, turn nicely, but they have not held up. As mentioned above, sidewall cuts are common, and I've had one tire seemingly delaminate.

I switched to Michelin Pro 3 Race. I'll ride out what Ultremos I have left, but I'm not going back.

Charles M
08-11-2010, 11:02 AM
I like em.

But I like the new Vitorria Evo Corsa more in virtually every way... More durable, new casing is very good, traction on side walls is same but wear is better (longer).

Avispa
08-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Many people ask questions about tires when they are unaware that a rider's weight, riding style, wheels used, etc. has a lot to do with the feel and wear of the tire.... Thus, their durability and puncture resistance.

I switched from Conti 4000S and Attack/Force to the Schwalbe Ultremo DD (for the rear) and the R.1 (for the front), mostly because I wanted a soft tire I could mount and dismount from my rims (Reynolds MV and DV) with little effort; the Contis were a b*tch in this regard!

I used Veloflex in the past and still love the way they felt; however, those tires flatted with the mere uttering of the word "glass".

I have been using Schwalbe for about 4 months now and I am very happy with them, not quite the feel of the Veloflex but close and they have been great as far as puncture resistance and durability. However, I now realized that not every tire should be inflated at the same pressure with all rims, etc. For instance, I was using 115 Rear/110 back with the Contis. But now with the Schwalbe I am using 104 Rear and 94 Front. If I try the same (or close to) higher pressures with the Schwalbe they feel hard and dull.

One word of Caution: I did blew up a couple of the Schwalbe DDs when I first mounted them (the tire bead gave up) because I put too much pressure when I first mounted the rear tire (softer bead maybe?). But the company was very quick to respond to my emails and send me TWO tires for every tire I sent back.

..A..

a4blur
08-11-2010, 03:58 PM
I like them as well for their weight, but I suffered sidewall cuts on my normal training roads.

Here are my choices, all 23mm clinchers:

1. Vittoria Open Corsa Evo EX 320
2. Michelin Pro Race 3
3. Schwable Ultremo r1

Blue Jays
08-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Curious myself about Schwalbe Ultremo R.1 durability...which I'll see as soon as mine arrive.
Some components on bicycles don't make sense for weight savings...tires, pedal spindles, and brakepads come to mind.
This is simply because failure in each of those example areas is problematic.

john903
08-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Hello I used Schwalbe Ultermo DD 23mm all last year and over winter i put over 2000mi on them, and never had a flat. I ran 100psi in front 105 in rear harsh ride,dropped to 90 in front 90 in rear. Rode better but not as comfortable as my old pro3's. Last month I put new Ultermo R1 25mm, much better they "feel and ride smoother" much more comfortable at 95psi front and rear then the DD were, currently I have 250mi on them. Yes these are 25mm verse 23mm and the thread count is 127 verse 67. This winter I will be riding my Curtlo with Schwalbe marathon in 30mm as I don't want to unnecessaryly abuse the R1. Just for reference the tires were on a steel Hampsten with Alpha carbon fork, wheels 32 hole, Record hubs, D.T. rims and
I weigh 168. Avispa has a very good point there are many variables to how a tire "feels" changing air pressure seems to me to be a big factor in the equation so try experimenting.
Anyway have fun.

sw3759
08-12-2010, 07:17 AM
i'm suprised no one has mentioned how small the 25's are..i purchased one set to try and was kinda suprised how small they were.on an open pro they are almost the same size a 700x23 pro race 2,about 23.5mm wide.smaller even than the conti 25's.thats one way to get the weight down.they might be larger a one the new 22mm wide rims like the HED wheel.i do like the cool logo on side of the tire though.nice looking tire.

Scott

Rueda Tropical
08-12-2010, 11:23 AM
I've been riding the Schwalbe Ultremo R.1 28c and haven't had a flat in over 1,000 miles. They replaced the now discontinued Michelin ProRace 2 25c which on 23mm wide rims were about the same size (27.5mm). Very happy with the ride and performance.

The only tires I liked better were the Challenge PR 27, but those flatted like crazy and I found the quality varied as well with my last set having faulty beads. So I was thrilled to find the new Ultremo's. While there are plenty of great 28c tubs, clinchers in that size were utility/touring models only until the Challenge and Ultremo came out.

kgreene10
08-12-2010, 02:18 PM
I used Veloflex in the past and still love the way they felt; however, those tires flatted with the mere uttering of the word "glass".

Yes! I flatted out of three races earlier this year with Veloflex Pave's mounted on Reynold's DV46C wheels before I got it through my thick head that there is a lightness barrier that shouldn't be crossed with current tire tech. I'm happily training and racing on Mich ProRace 3s now.

David Kirk
08-12-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm using 25 mm Ultremos for everyday riding and they work very well. They measure 24 mm and have a supple ride. I use them on both pavement and hard packed dirt and they never complain.

I'll buy them again when they are toast.

Dave