PDA

View Full Version : How good are Hyperons?

jonjones13
08-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Just bought some 2nd hand Campag Hyperon Ultra Two clincher's and am waiting for them to be delivered - just how good are they? What makes them sooo good ?

rice rocket
08-10-2010, 10:59 AM
They're wheels. As long as their round and true, anything more is a luxury.

The term diminishing returns comes to mind...depending on how much you paid of course. ;)

130R
08-10-2010, 11:35 AM
you bought a pair of wheels you know nothing about? :confused:

Blue Jays
08-10-2010, 11:37 AM
They are very nice wheels, seem to stay true, and are extremely quiet with a Campagnolo Record cassette.
Mine are used only in dry weather as braking isn't quite as authoritative as with aluminum braking surfaces.

mandasol
08-10-2010, 01:32 PM
I have some custom aluminum clinchers built up that are lighter and deeper than those wheels (1300 grams/pair, 22fr/27r), so my wheels will brake better, climb .000001 seconds faster, are cheaper to start with and cheaper to repair.

That being said those Hyperons are pretty hot.

StellaBlue
08-10-2010, 01:34 PM
You're asking after you bought them.. Piceless

Mr. Squirrel
08-10-2010, 03:18 PM
they are quite popular here. especially with the cup and cone cult™ bearings, ceramic 4x15 balls 5/32", and self-locking nuts. where do you ride?

mr. squirrel

TAW
08-10-2010, 03:30 PM
To be fair, there are lots of things that we buy without trying them first or really knowing if we're going to like them. Maybe that's part of the fun. ;)

Acotts
08-10-2010, 03:48 PM
so good it turns mountains into sand and oceans into fog.

jonjones13
08-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Jblande offered to swap his Hyperons for some of my Campy kit + cash in an offer I couldn't refuse....

Just wondering if they are worthy of the hype/price etc

FWIW I ride mostly hilly terrain and will have other wheels for wet days etc

Jon

Ken Robb
08-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Jblande offered to swap his Hyperons for some of my Campy kit + cash in an offer I couldn't refuse....

Just wondering if they are worthy of the hype/price etc

Jon

I guess whether they are worthy of the price depends on how ugly your Campy kit is. :) :banana:

firerescuefin
08-10-2010, 07:25 PM
JJ13.....I could only let the bludgeoning go on for so long. :rolleyes:

They are a beautiful set of wheels. I have not owned a pair, but have used a pair for a couple of weeks, and I do not think you will be disappointed. Very smooth, suprisingly stiff, and actually have a reputation for being tough, despite their minimalistic look.

jlwdm
08-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Thanks for getting things back on point.

Jeff

wooly
08-10-2010, 07:47 PM
I've had them and think that they are one of the nicer wheelsets out there, especially considering your riding. They are the one wheelset that I wish I hadn't sold. Light enough, super compliant, clincher convenient, etc. Throw a pair of veloflex tires on them and you've got a great combo. They make a wrrring noise when you brake that reminds everyone in the pack that you are there. Have fun with them.

jbrainin
08-10-2010, 07:50 PM
They're a great wheelset. I've been using them on my Meivici for two years now without any problems.

jonjones13
08-11-2010, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the helpful info guys - can't wait to get my grubby little mitts on them... ride report to follow on my Moots

oldpotatoe
08-11-2010, 08:02 AM
Just bought some 2nd hand Campag Hyperon Ultra Two clincher's and am waiting for them to be delivered - just how good are they? What makes them sooo good ?

What's an orange taste like? You bought them THEN ask how good are they? Ride them and tell us. They are wheels, expensive wheels with propriatary parts and not necessary ceramic balls.

Blue Jays
08-11-2010, 08:53 AM
My very sweet Hyperons have the ceramic bits and are coupled to an all-titanium Campagnolo cassette. They do roll quickly, for sure.

dsteady
08-11-2010, 09:21 AM
The sanctimonious finger-wagging here never ceases to amaze me. So jonjones13 made a bet (a very safe bet imo, I saw the listing price) on a highly respected set of wheels and he's asking here for any insights on what to expect. So effing what?

I don't have the Hyperons, but in my experience with higher-end carbon wheels the hubs are just as important as the rims. I just picked up a pair pf s/h Reynolds DV46c wheels and I love them. But I think the main improvement comes from the Reynolds badged DT240 hubs. They help translate energy into forward motion in a really pleasing way. "Spin-up" is the term people use for this, but I'm not sure it's really accurate. For comparison I have my old Zipp 303 clinchers. The Zipps are great when you get up to speed and realize the aero benefits of the rim, but at lesser paced rides < 22-25 mph, the hubs/wheel don't feel as directly connected to my output as the Reynolds do. Not sure if that makes a lot of sense. YMMV.

I think that given the quality of the Campy hubs on the Hyperons you can expect a similar effect.

BTW, I ride a Moots too. In my experience it's hard to go too stiff with wheels on a Moots. Should climb like a dream.

Enjoy.

SPOKE
08-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Of the wheels I own.....
#1- campy hyperon clinchers
#2- new Shimano tubeless carbon clinchers
#3- Reynolds dv46 clinchers

SPOKE

jlwdm
08-11-2010, 12:40 PM
desteady: +1

He made a financial trade decision not a how do they ride decision. He can always sell them - which it seems was part of his plan.

He does not have them yet but he is anxious and interested to know more about the wheel.

Jeff