PDA

View Full Version : Way OT: Lawn Mowers.

TMB
08-09-2010, 03:51 PM
I am sick to death of fighting what appears to be a losing battle with the made in China Briggs and Stratton engine on my lawn mower.

So, out looking today. I can get a Cub Cadet or an Ariens. The Cub Cadet has an engine that appears to be their own. The Ariens is a Kawasaki engine.

I looked at Deere's and what not but to my surprise they have the same damn engines as the one I've long since learned to hate.

So, given I have no knowledge of either of these brands, any comments???

Pete Serotta
08-09-2010, 03:52 PM
I gave up the fight many years ago and went to HONDA mowers. No problems since. My neighbor recently got one also for his aggravation was too much and he was borrowing mine too often. :crap: :crap:

Mike748
08-09-2010, 03:54 PM
MTD owns or makes and private labels several of the old formerly high quality name brands (Bolens, Troy Built, Cub Cadet etc). AYP makes others. You can't count on the old brand names being indicative of current quality.

I'd really like a zero turn machine one day... if I can stop buying bikes instead.

Ralph
08-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Kawasaki makes fine lawn mower engines. I recently got rid of a worn out Snapper commercial grade self propelled 21" mower with Kawasaki engine....but the engine was still fine....and never had a moments trouble with it. I loved that engine....only got rid of the mower because the transmission was shot and much of the metal controls were rusting away. I got about 10 years out of that Snapper with just minor maintenance....and in Florida we mow every week, about all year.

Ozz
08-09-2010, 04:25 PM
At the golf course I worked when going to college....we only ran Toro and Snapper mowers....although I use a Honda now, and very happy with it.

These were fun to drive:

SEABREEZE
08-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Kawasaki and Honda have been trouble free for me.

Look for a rider that has either of these engines.

Try to find a local dealer for support, if there is ever a issue..

TMB
08-09-2010, 04:30 PM
MTD owns or makes and private labels most of the old formerly high quality name brands (Deere, Troy Built, Cub Cadet etc). If you can get it at HD or Lowe's its probably MTD.

Damn.

There goes that idea then.

I was looking at the Ariens in HD. I just can't bear the thought of spending as much as the Honda on a lawnmower, having done it once, and hating the machine.

So the next choice is just buying whatever piece of crap is cheap and replacing it every two years.

Ralph
08-09-2010, 04:31 PM
It takes me about 1 1/2 hours to mow my yard almost 52 weeks out of the year. Plus edging and blowing off roof and gutters. I would not consider a rider. It's just cross training for me. But I do have a new hi quality self propelled Snapper. Honda great also. Could have got a cheap rider from a box store for same amount.

rePhil
08-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Another vote for Honda. A common problem with todays small engines is the fuel we put in them. Ethanol enriched fuels can cause a lot of problems. Down here in the Florida humidity, gas makes water. I use the fuel shut off and run mine dry after use. And being in Florida it's weekly.

What kind of engine problems are you having?

AngryScientist
08-09-2010, 05:07 PM
i only own a simple push mower, and a nice pressure washer, both having the same honda engine. they start and run reliably every time, worth the cost in my time alone.

Jeff Weir
08-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Honda.

Mine is 20 years old and it still starts on the first pull when I take it out for the first cut of the season. Change the oil and spark plug once a year.

dave thompson
08-09-2010, 05:36 PM
I never had a problem starting any lawnmower I owned....until my son enlisted in the Marines.

tele
08-09-2010, 05:52 PM
i have a 15hp Kawasaki engine on my 48" walk behind and have never had a problem in almost 9 years of mowing. Changed the plug and oil and the engine at least is good to go.
i do remember when i was looking at mowers, a couple of buddies told me the briggs engines were crap and the Kawasaki were the real deal.

572cv
08-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Suggestion #1: We've had good luck with Toro. About three years old now, the guaranteed to start model, my wife loves it. Suggestion #2: Never use old gas. Ethanol in gas for little engines is bad, and goes bad more easily and quickly. So it's not good to have more than about a month's supply on hand. You can improve the quality and reduce the separation in the gas with starbrite stabilizer enzyme available at marine supply stores. It makes a big difference. Guys with old outboards use it, as do antique cars. Ethanol and carburetors don't mix very well, that's the bottom line.

regularguy412
08-09-2010, 06:19 PM
I have a Deere 185 Hydro that is going on its 24th season. Big 18 HP Kawasaki engine. I also have a Honda 4.0 HP push mower going on ITS 24th season. Can't go wrong either way , in my book. If yer interested, I have an Echo SRM 22 BE straight shaft string trimmer that is also going on ITS 24th season. It has a Kioritz engine.

Just my .02.

Mike in AR:beer:

LegendRider
08-09-2010, 06:30 PM
A little off-topic, but what does one do with a broken mower? Can it be put in a landfill?

Frankwurst
08-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Honda :beer:

Ralph
08-09-2010, 07:14 PM
A little off-topic, but what does one do with a broken mower? Can it be put in a landfill?

My lawn mower shop will usually give you a $50 trade in allowance for it. When I ask for a discount, they usually come back with that. Just part of the negotiating.

Hard Fit
08-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Given that you have TooManyBikes,why don't you convert one to a lawn mower? Or, consider it a good upper and lower body workout and get a manual push mower.

dvs cycles
08-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Honda.

Mine is 20 years old and it still starts on the first pull when I take it out for the first cut of the season. Change the oil and spark plug once a year.
My little patch of lawn here in SoCal is nothing compared to the huge lawns you guys elsewhere have to mow but my hat is off to Honda.
Bought my little Honda mower 21 years ago and have never changed the oil or plug but fires up first pull every week.
It's grass growing season here year round. :beer:

tkbike
08-09-2010, 07:32 PM
For the 2-3 hours once a week it takes me to cut grass any mower will do, my last mower cost me $40 at a garage sale and lasted 8 years. I bought a new mower last year, end of season clearance for $120, for that amount of money it should last 20 years? I also consider it cross training, a hilly 3/4's of an acre is no problem with a simple push mower. The less I spend on yard care, the more I can spend on bikes. :)

parris
08-09-2010, 09:32 PM
I've had good luck with the Toro mower and the Airens snow blower I picked up at an auction several years ago. The lawn mower only ran into trouble once when I filled it up with bad gas. The snow blower goes through a shear pin or 2 a season. other than that both have been very solid machines.

jghall
08-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Have to agree with the others who have suggested Honda. While differnt models, had one for maybe 12+ years. Great cut, starts on first pull all the time. Like their cars, highly recommended.

oliver1850
08-09-2010, 10:09 PM

oliver1850
08-09-2010, 10:16 PM

Zoomie80
08-09-2010, 10:33 PM
My Toro self-propelled mower is still going strong after 18 years; starts at first or second pull. It has the thick cast aluminum deck; the height adjustment slots that are part of the deck are worn out and no longer keep the wheels locked at the appropriate height. I replaced it with a Honda about 6 weeks ago. My boys are now starting to mow our lawn and they really like this new mower since it is easy to start, control, and maneuver. I like how nice it cuts!

Zoomie

zap
08-10-2010, 05:50 AM
Our Deere tractor with 18hp Kawasaki water cooled engine has been reliable for 10+ years.

William
08-10-2010, 06:06 AM
Old school Deere I picked up from Bradford a few years ago is still going strong. Mowing a few acres every week during the warm months, bagging and hauling leaves in the Fall, pulling the occasional stump or shrub, and plowing in the Winter. Starts up every time. I do the tune up every season....and yes, the flames Bradford put on the side of it makes it much faster. ;)

William