PDA

View Full Version : Riding under the influence (more clear thinking from legislators)

torquer
08-09-2010, 01:15 PM
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/07/spokes-tipsy-on-two-wheels/?scp=1&sq=spokes&st=cse

Not pertinent to my lifestyle, but I had to wonder about the following quote from the article:

"But in South Dakota, lawmakers in 2007 excluded bicycles, tricycles and any other “unpowered foot-pedal conveyance” from the drunken-driving statutes, arguing that this might help intoxicated people find safer ways home."

Huh? Do the bars in S.D. keep fleets of Huffy beaters (preferably with drop bars rotated up 180 degrees) on hand for when the local taxi doesn't show up?

I suppose we should be glad riding lawn mowers weren't excluded, too.

goonster
08-09-2010, 01:25 PM
South Dakota does not strike me as a state with widely available taxi service.

Bars don't need "fleets of beaters" if their patrons can be encouraged to ride in both directions. Drunk drivers are a reality. They are much less likely to hurt others on a bike than behind the wheel of a truck.

gone
08-09-2010, 04:25 PM
"But in South Dakota, lawmakers in 2007 excluded bicycles, tricycles and any other “unpowered foot-pedal conveyance” from the drunken-driving statutes, arguing that this might help intoxicated people find safer ways home."

It's been a while but IIRC, this law was aimed directly at a particular incident where someone was arrested for riding a horse home from a bar while intoxicated.

Only in South Dakota (or possibly North Dakota, or Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, ...) :D

William
08-10-2010, 04:08 AM
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/07/spokes-tipsy-on-two-wheels/?scp=1&sq=spokes&st=cse

Not pertinent to my lifestyle, but I had to wonder about the following quote from the article:

"But in South Dakota, lawmakers in 2007 excluded bicycles, tricycles and any other “unpowered foot-pedal conveyance” missing at least one wheel from the drunken-driving statutes, arguing that this might help intoxicated people find safer ways home."

Huh? Do the bars in S.D. keep fleets of one wheeled Huffy beaters (preferably with drop bars rotated up 180 degrees) on hand ......

This guy is perfectly legal by the new law....

http://ultimate-photos.com/share/drunk-rides-a-one-wheeled-bicycle.gif

:rolleyes:

William

Gothard
08-10-2010, 05:33 AM
Don't be too harsh on me. it *was* a long night.

alembical
08-10-2010, 01:02 PM
I am torn. I bike, but I also drive (sober). I worry about situations where a drunk bike rider swerves or crashes in traffic and sober drivers are then forced to endanger themselves and others to avoid them. On one hand, public intox statutes already exist and might be the cure for the situation I envision, but on the other hand, when riding in traffic, aren't we bound by the same laws as other means of traffic and don't we owe a duty to more than just ourselves... like all other road users do?

Brian Smith
08-10-2010, 06:25 PM
I am torn. I bike, but I also drive (sober). I worry about situations where a drunk bike rider swerves or crashes in traffic and sober drivers are then forced to endanger themselves and others to avoid them. On one hand, public intox statutes already exist and might be the cure for the situation I envision, but on the other hand, when riding in traffic, aren't we bound by the same laws as other means of traffic and don't we owe a duty to more than just ourselves... like all other road users do?

I'm with you here.
I'm not sure that for many folks choosing the bike as transportation while inebriated over the car is an actual possibility, but I'd rather see a separate legal instrument to regulate drunk bicycle traffic. If the drunk attention-seeker is about to go get into my traffic stream, I can tell you that I'd want them to doing it on a pedal-powered 2-wheeler rather than in a momentous super-human powered vehicle. The actual risk to humans and properties, is just so much less than if they are in a motor vehicle.

auto_rock
08-10-2010, 06:42 PM
I mean, my opinion when bike commuting is to behave like a vehicle, because if you want to be treated as a vehicle you should act like one. I wouldn't get on a road drunk behind the wheel of a car, and wouldn't do it biking either. While I see the advantage in drunk cyclists over drunk drivers (strictly in terms of momentum), I can't really say I agree in principle.

As to riding a horse drunk, well at least the horse is probably sober?