PDA

View Full Version : Trip Out West

2LeftCleats
08-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Just got back from a trip out to Portland OR. We helped our oldest son relocate there to begin his doctoral work. To be honest, the thought of driving a truck from Indianapolis through mountains and 95 deg. heat didn't excite me much. Have to say that we were very pleasantly surprised going through South Dakota, Montana, and Wyoming. I'd been through those areas years ago, but I was mainly in a hurry to get to the coast and didn't really pay much attention to the states that were large and in my way. I suspect both the states and I've changed a bit in 30 years. Rapid City, Bozeman, and Missoula looked like really cool towns. Had no chance to check out Dave Kirk's place but looked at the universities and what the cities had to offer. They provided my younger son some potentially great places to live and some possible non-coastal locations for the older one to look into professorships one day.

Of course, we weren't terribly surprised by what Portland has to offer. After a week we failed to find a bad meal. The weather was a welcome respite from the Midwest heat. And the bicyling culture is unlike anything I've seen. Not just bikelanes but some streets are dedicated cycling routes where cars must defer to riders. The parks are great and numerous.

David and his s.o. moved into a one-bedroom with their 8 bikes and are walking distance to all they need. Great public transport, too.

The credit card took a beating but we had a wonderful time.

PCR
08-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Good for your son. Hope you get out here again for some riding. :)

Pete Serotta
08-09-2010, 01:43 AM
Sounds like a wonderful trip... Hope you get out there riding. That is one of my "todos". When it is being planned, I will be asking the folks on the FORUM to give suggestions and routes. One stop will be David Kirk in BOZMAN> :) on the way out. PETE

mikki
08-12-2010, 01:08 AM
Where we want to retire.

William
08-12-2010, 04:53 AM
Sounds like a great trip. I lived in PDX for quite a few years and I do miss it. A great place fo sure! :beer:

William

David Kirk
08-13-2010, 08:43 AM
make sure to make a little time for a visit next time you are passing through. I don't get too many visits here and need to get news from the outside world.

Dave