PDA

View Full Version : OT: I am a genuinly lucky man.

Len J
04-11-2005, 02:19 PM
I have had the privlidge of being able to attend, at the last moment, two different moments of sports history:

1.) Several years ago, A friend called me early on a Saturday to see if I wanted to attend the Easter Regional Finals in Philadelphia that afternoon to watch Duke play Kentucky.......Yes it was the famous OT Laettner shot from the top of the Key,.....and believe it or not we were in the sixth row behind the basket he hit the shot on, offset to the right (looking at the crowd).....and yes it was the only time (so far) I've been in Sports Illiustrated.

2.) On Friday, one of the people who works for me, called to tell me that we had two customers cancel coming to a trip we had arranged to take them to the Masters for the weekend......he wanted to know what to do with the tickets. I "Volunteered" to use them.

I called my only Brother (who I don't get to spend enough time with, and who, like me, loves golf) and he agreed to drive to Charlotte and the two of us would drive from here.

If you've never been to Agusta, and love Golf, the experience in indescribable. After watching on TV, and seeing the history, to walk the golf course and put three dimensions on shots you have seen is amazing. I have been there before, but for my brother, this was a first......he was overwhelmed.

Saturday, while overcast, stayed dry, and we saw about 27 holes of golf.......and didn't make a single error on where to watch from........we thought it couldn't get any bettter........boy were we wrong.

Sunday morning, 4 of us (my brother & I and 2 Co-workers (who BTW, had to leave around midday), got there early and got chairs placed. 2 were second row beside the 13th green, and 2 were third row behind the 16th green. We spent the morning watching from the 15th bleachers and behind the 8th green.....saw plenty of great Golf.

About 2:45, we headed over and watched all 25 groups come through 13.......saw Scott's almost double eagle, and lot's of shotmakeing. After Tiger and DeMarco tee off on 14, we headed over to our seats on 16......Timing is everything.

First shot we see.....Immelman's Hole in One........The hole was about 25 feet from where we were sitting........And then a few minutes later..........Tiger Chip's in from an impossible position, with the ball stopping b4 it drops. I still get goose bumps.

My brother called this morning, and he's still juiced.

In addition to seeing history, I got to spend two great days with one of my favorite people.........Like I said, I'm a lucky man.

Len

Smiley
04-11-2005, 05:38 PM
thanks for sharing len .

BumbleBeeDave
04-11-2005, 08:32 PM
. . . but I must have missed something. You are “lucky” and yet this did not involve bicycles or scantily clad women? . . . ;)

BBDave

Bill Bove
04-11-2005, 09:11 PM
Good for you Len! I do believe that we get what we deserve, keep on doing whatever you're doing to so richly rewarded.

Elefantino
04-11-2005, 10:14 PM
:)

RichMc
04-12-2005, 12:33 AM
What I liked about Sixteen? Nance and crowd were saying "It'd be a miracle if Tiger could even get his ball inside of DiMarco." Nuk, nuk, nuk! I just loves it when the pros hit the shot when the sportscasters say they have no chance.

arsegas
04-12-2005, 01:04 AM
I am very very jealous, Len...

I love the shot that CBS showed of the two fans in the audience celebrating after Tiger's chip shot...that wouldn't happen to have been you and your brother would it? :)

Something else interesting to me about Tiger's chip shot on 16th was how the Nike Swoosh logo on the ball was prominently captured on film as the ball teetered on the lip of the hole before falling. Nike couldn't have scripted it any better!

- Eric

Len J
04-12-2005, 05:26 AM
I am very very jealous, Len...

I love the shot that CBS showed of the two fans in the audience celebrating after Tiger's chip shot...that wouldn't happen to have been you and your brother would it? :)

Don't know.....didn't see the coverage.

Len

Len J
04-12-2005, 05:28 AM
What I liked about Sixteen? Nance and crowd were saying "It'd be a miracle if Tiger could even get his ball inside of DiMarco." Nuk, nuk, nuk! I just loves it when the pros hit the shot when the sportscasters say they have no chance.

Right before the shot, thw guy next to me says....."That's the same spot that Davis Love chipped in from several years ago. You know Tiger will remember that shot. I wouldn't be surprised if he puts this in." and then bam.

Len

Ray
04-12-2005, 05:54 AM
Quite awesome to be present for a couple of the great transcendent moments in sports. I've never had that experience except for being at a couple of classic Baltimore Colts / Green Bay Packers games in the mid-60s, but I was a little shaver and just barely remember anything other than the general feeling of it.

I've been at a few amazing rock and roll and jazz shows though, where it was all working and the performers hit that crazy groove and just couldn't miss. One of 'em, a Bruce Springsteen show in Phoenix from '77 or '78 where Bruce got knocked over by a couple of teenage girls who managed to get on stage ended up in some massive documentary and became pretty famous. I was just a couple of rows back from the stage that night.

Regardless of the activity, when an athlete or artist gets in the zone and starts doing stuff that's simply insane, it's very cool to be there to witness it.

-Ray